Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Dolby Atmos Coming to Xbox One

mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 221 Plex Pass

I just saw this announcement today, but anyone know if these means anything for us Plex users? I believe the Dolby Atmos reference is related to the Blu-ray player, but would adding Dolby Atmos allow direct play rather than transcoding? If I'm not mistaken, the Plex app on Xbox One will currently play Atmos audio, but it requires transcoding. Direct play would be preferable though of course, so hoping this latest announcement will give us direct play.

Comments

• ENAG_PlexENAG_Plex Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

What I'm curious about is if Microsoft is enabling all Xbox One/Windows apps to bitstream audio or if it's limited to the blu-ray player. 24p output is limited to the blu-ray player and it another thing I'd love to see them open up to other apps.

• mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 221 Plex Pass

Yes, agreed, but bitstream audio is already available isn't it? At least that's the option I select. Although the issue I see is that there are only 2 choices (Dolby Digital or DTS), and what I'd really like is just a straight pass through of what's coming out of Plex to my A/V receiver, so my receiver can take care of the processing rather than the Xbox One.

• mal68mal68 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 112 Plex Pass

First time in a long time there have been positive developments on the audio front for the xbox. Let's hope it actually does help us plex users as well and it's not just designed to help Microsoft get a larger chunk on the 4K blu-ray market

• grambo1980grambo1980 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass

I really really hope they enable this native bitstream pass-through for 3rd party apps and streaming and not just blurays.

• adamskoogadamskoog Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,285 Plex Ninja

Unless they do something to actually allow us to do passthrough/true bitstream for the other audio options I'm going to have to say this is going to be bluray app only. :( It would be amazing if they did allow third party apps to do that, but I'm guessing it's more of the same or the announcement would be worded much differently.

@adamskoog said:
    Unless they do something to actually allow us to do passthrough/true bitstream for the other audio options I'm going to have to say this is going to be bluray app only. :( It would be amazing if they did allow third party apps to do that, but I'm guessing it's more of the same or the announcement would be worded much differently.

Total bummer if that's true. I'll keep hope alive for a little while at least though. :)

We can do Dolby Atmos now via transcoding though right? It would just be better if it was direct play.

• mal68mal68 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 112 Plex Pass

@Moussa is this something you are able to look into or confirm for us?

• gambitgambit Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

Well this says games and videos that support it so maybe it will be 3rd party http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-adding-dolby-atmos-audio-in-future-update/1100-6444829/?ftag=GSS-05-10aab8e

• MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,336 Plex Employee

@mal68 We don't have any more information at the moment than whats been reported.

Well, I tested Dolby Atmos yesterday and it definitely appears to only be for the Blu-ray app. The setting is even embedded in the Blu-ray app. BUT, there is some hope based on the latest story from Microsoft: http://news.xbox.com/2016/12/14/dolby-atmos-xbox-one-windows-10/. At least there's an indication that Dolby Atmos will come to games next year. No mention of specific 3rd party apps other than games, but a light reference to being able to stream movies/tv in Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One. There is the other issue that there's no reference to DTS:X either so it seems possible that MS would just add an option in the bitstream out settings for Dolby Atmos vs just allowing passthrough. REALLY hope they just add passthrough.

• mike4001mike4001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 495 Plex Pass

The real problem there is that all other sounds are disabled when the console switches to Bitstream Passthrough. So I can see them to allow this only for their BluRay App.

But I also read that games will be able to use this (as mbarylski wrote). So maybe there is hope for PLEX after all :-)

• jmckeejmckee Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,801 Plex Ninja

@mike4001 said:
    The real problem there is that all other sounds are disabled when the console switches to Bitstream Passthrough.

That actually was one of the big reason most people thought that passthrough wouldn't come to the console.

@jmckee said:

@mike4001 said:
    The real problem there is that all other sounds are disabled when the console switches to Bitstream Passthrough.

That actually was one of the big reason most people thought that passthrough wouldn't come to the console.

That would be really disappointing if true. If it's an option, users can decide for themselves whether or not they want it. It should at least be an option though.

• thirdgen89gtathirdgen89gta Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Microsoft is making this difficult to WANT to use the XBO for a HTPC type thing. I'd rather spend $300 to build a small HTPC and run OPENELEC/Plex if it gets me true pass-through. The problem is I already have a $400 XBO that SHOULD be able to do all of these things.

Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the forums.

• Ach!llesAch!lles Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,712 Plex Ninja

The XB1 app is acceptable for me but not my "go to" Plex client. Even if the API is opened for HD audio bitsreaming/passthrough, it still lacks 24p playback and image based subtitles (VOB and PGS) support. There is also issues with streaming of MKV with less than 4 ReFrames if transcoding is not used. There is a very in depth thread here discussing the points.

I use my embedded PMP on a NUC for playback when I want a "no compromise" picture and audio watching experience.

• ionblueionblue Members, Plex Pass Posts: 499 Plex Pass

The XB1 is more than capable of doing of audio passthrough and have full subtitle support IF the client were written to do so. Instead, just like with the AppleTV client, the Plex team is using the built in player instead of writing their own. This means that unless the built in player has the support, Plex will never get it. I certainly understand going this route in the short term since it takes so damn long to get an app approved in the first place!

I'd love to make my XB1 my HTPC hub, but until it gets a Plex app with ALL the bells and whistles, it isn't going to happen. Maybe we'll get a Universal app in the near future, but since they're so quiet on future releases we just have to wait and see.

Mac mini (mid 2011) 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - MacOS 10.12.5 - Panasonic GT50 (60 inch) - Yamaha YSP-5100 - TowerSTOR TS4CT 9TB

@ionblue said:
    the Plex team is using the built in player instead of writing their own.

Couldn't Plex just add the option to use an external player? Seems like that would be a simple fix while we wait for the Universal app to be ready.

• ionblueionblue Members, Plex Pass Posts: 499 Plex Pass

@mbarylski said:

@ionblue said:
    the Plex team is using the built in player instead of writing their own.

Couldn't Plex just add the option to use an external player? Seems like that would be a simple fix while we wait for the Universal app to be ready.

No idea, unfortunately.

Mac mini (mid 2011) 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - MacOS 10.12.5 - Panasonic GT50 (60 inch) - Yamaha YSP-5100 - TowerSTOR TS4CT 9TB

• jfsikorajfsikora Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited December 2016

That's great news! Now just waiting on "eventually". :)