Dolby Atmos support?

xbox-one

Hi,
I've set up a dolby atmos system at home using a Denon receiver and an Xbox One X. When watching a Netflix movie with Atmos sound track it gets forwarded correctly to my receiver, when using Plex it displays a Dolby Digital track even when encoded with Atmos.
Is there a configuration setting I've missed?

@taconaut said:
Hi,
I've set up a dolby atmos system at home using a Denon receiver and an Xbox One X. When watching a Netflix movie with Atmos sound track it gets forwarded correctly to my receiver, when using Plex it displays a Dolby Digital track even when encoded with Atmos.
Is there a configuration setting I've missed?

No, you aren't missing anything. Dolby Atmos isn't supported in Plex yet. It's a feature request that a lot of us are interested in. At the moment I just have my Denon set to Dolby Surround to get Dolby Atmos-like sound. It seems to do a pretty good job from what I can tell.

Plex will play Dolby Atmos if the player is able to do passthrough/ direct play uncompressed bitstream. I'm currently using a Samsung ubd-M9500 with PMS and it plays Everything! DTS-MA, True HD/Atmos with no issues. All going to Pioneer Sc-Lx801 where the Pioneer is doing the Decoding. Does your Denon display the True HD/Atmos or just Dolby D?

@Neilo said:
Plex will play Dolby Atmos if the player is able to do passthrough/ direct play uncompressed bitstream. I'm currently using a Samsung ubd-M9500 with PMS and it plays Everything! DTS-MA, True HD/Atmos with no issues. All going to Pioneer Sc-Lx801 where the Pioneer is doing the Decoding. Does your Denon display the True HD/Atmos or just Dolby D?

Right, but the Xbox One app currently doesn't support passthrough. Plex devs are working on it apparently, but no news as to when it will be done.

Thank for clarification.

@Neilo
@mbarylski

Hi, hopefully one or both of you may be able to help me here.

I have a Samsung UE48HU7500 running Plex App 2.009 and have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V683 receiver, which is supposed to support Dolby Atmos but I cannot get a 4K film encoded with TrueHD Atmos 7.1 to Direct Play as it says my model does not support the codec. Do you know does this mean the app, the TV or the receiver ... or a combination of the three? I have also tried it on the new Amazon Fire TV 4K and although it plays, it is only registering the audio as PCM and doesn't allow me to change it. Any thoughts? Any workarounds (other than transcoding)?

Thanks

@BigStevie1973.

If you are connecting the TV to the AVR via HDMI cable and utilizing the ARC ( audio return channel) it will never be able to do Dolby Atmos. Most ARC can do is 5.1 D+ this would be the reason why it doesn't decode the the true HD/atmos. The same applies for Opticle output from tv to AVR. Your tv is from mid 2014 i'm sure it will do direct stream and Direct play on the app , try it in AC3 and then check the PMS activity during the playback.

if you want to take advantage of the Dolby True HD/Atmos or DTS-MA on your amp which it supports DTS and Dolby Atmos, you need a Streaming box that can passthrough in Uncompressed bit-stream audio to the AVR where it would decode the audio. There are a few high end devices that can do this like, Nvidia shield. I personally don't play Video games so i use my new Samsung 4k player ubd-M9500 with plex and it has no issues passing the DTS-MA & TrueHD/atmos to my AVR. and in direct play. I've tested on multiple 4k streams with no problems with play back.

When the new HDMI 2.1 format is available in TV'S. & AVR'S, The need for Streaming boxes will disappear as the TV app will be able to pass all the codecs to the AVR via the new eARC that's being introduced in HDMI2.1.

@BigStevie1973.

Sorry Forgot to ta about the Fire TV, i'm unsure if this device would passthrough DTS_MA or Atmos. again it would depend on how its connected? I've never played with one so i cant answer. I'm sure someone in the forum would know.

After some more testing, it seems that Atmos passt hrough is partially supported by Plex. With both the '7.1.2' and 'leaf trailer' found on the dolby page I've been able to get an Atmos signal to my receiver. All other files have tested showed Dolby Surround on my receiver.
Does anybodody know of possible limitations according to container and codecs?

@Neilo said:

@BigStevie1973.

If you are connecting the TV to the AVR via HDMI cable and utilizing the ARC ( audio return channel) it will never be able to do Dolby Atmos. Most ARC can do is 5.1 D+ this would be the reason why it doesn't decode the the true HD/atmos. The same applies for Opticle output from tv to AVR. Your tv is from mid 2014 i'm sure it will do direct stream and Direct play on the app , try it in AC3 and then check the PMS activity during the playback.

if you want to take advantage of the Dolby True HD/Atmos or DTS-MA on your amp which it supports DTS and Dolby Atmos, you need a Streaming box that can passthrough in Uncompressed bit-stream audio to the AVR where it would decode the audio. There are a few high end devices that can do this like, Nvidia shield. I personally don't play Video games so i use my new Samsung 4k player ubd-M9500 with plex and it has no issues passing the DTS-MA & TrueHD/atmos to my AVR. and in direct play. I've tested on multiple 4k streams with no problems with play back.

When the new HDMI 2.1 format is available in TV'S. & AVR'S, The need for Streaming boxes will disappear as the TV app will be able to pass all the codecs to the AVR via the new eARC that's being introduced in HDMI2.1.

Many thanks for that and much as I had feared, so I have bitten the bullet and just ordered myself an Nvidia Shield. B)

@taconaut said:
After some more testing, it seems that Atmos passt hrough is partially supported by Plex. With both the '7.1.2' and 'leaf trailer' found on the dolby page I've been able to get an Atmos signal to my receiver. All other files have tested showed Dolby Surround on my receiver.

What device were you using to get the Dolby test tones to work? I've only tried with my original Fire TV and through a chromecast ultra. No luck with either.

@nickb34 said:

@taconaut said:

What device were you using to get the Dolby test tones to work? I've only tried with my original Fire TV and through a chromecast ultra. No luck with either.

I can play them through the Nvidia Shield and my Yamaha RX-V683

Be aware that if you switch to a Shield you won't get Atmos from Netflix. You need an Xbox for that. Currently you have to choose between Netflix atmos and Plex streaming atmos. Not much on Netflix at the moment but Atmos is taking off so I imagine it's only going to increase.

@teamgool said:
Be aware that if you switch to a Shield you won't get Atmos from Netflix. You need an Xbox for that. Currently you have to choose between Netflix atmos and Plex streaming atmos. Not much on Netflix at the moment but Atmos is taking off so I imagine it's only going to increase.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can get 4K on Netflix either via the Shield.

@Neilo said:

So the ubd-m9500 has a plex app and is the client?? Or what are you running plex on and how are you passing it through the player?

@taconaut said:

Those files use the MP4 container and EAC3 audio codec (dolby digital plus + ATMOS) which is supported on the xbox one plex app SEE HERE. It looks like TRUE-HD however is not a supported codec on ANY file container supported at this time. Very frustrating to say the least.

@dustinlandi said:

@taconaut said:

Those files use the MP4 container and EAC3 audio codec (dolby digital plus + ATMOS) which is supported on the xbox one plex app SEE HERE. It looks like TRUE-HD however is not a supported codec on ANY file container supported at this time. Very frustrating to say the least.

I can play TrueHD on my Nvidia Shield routed through my Yamaha RX-V683 with no issues at all.

@BigStevie1973 said:

@dustinlandi said:

@taconaut said:

I can play TrueHD on my Nvidia Shield routed through my Yamaha RX-V683 with no issues at all.

Yes, but the context is Xbox one X since this is a plex App on Xbox one X thread.

@BigStevie1973 said:

@dustinlandi said:

@taconaut said:

As far as the Nvidia shield, are you able to play both DD+ atmos and TRUEHD atmos via plex using mkv files? Also, does any other app you use do the same (I know you mentioned that Netflix doesn't). I have a chrome cast ultra, Apple TV 4k, and Xbox one x connected to a denon X3400H which outputs to my 2016 LG oled. It seems like I keep throwing money at this situation so I can stream TRUE HD or TRUEHD Atmos and all I've been able to do is get it via UHD bluray. Even Netflix on xbox one x doesn't do TRUEHD atmos.. its DD+ atmos.

@dustinlandi said:

@BigStevie1973 said:

@dustinlandi said:

@taconaut said:

As far as the Nvidia shield, are you able to play both DD+ atmos and TRUEHD atmos via plex using mkv files? Also, does any other app you use do the same (I know you mentioned that Netflix doesn't). I have a chrome cast ultra, Apple TV 4k, and Xbox one x connected to a denon X3400H which outputs to my 2016 LG oled. It seems like I keep throwing money at this situation so I can stream TRUE HD or TRUEHD Atmos and all I've been able to do is get it via UHD bluray. Even Netflix on xbox one x doesn't do TRUEHD atmos.. its DD+ atmos.

I plugged my Shield into a different HDMI port on my Yamaha and now it plays both Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K and DD+. Plex will play DD+ and TrueHD. I'm not sure where the Atmos comes into it, is this something different? i.e. is there TrueHD and TrueHD Atmos? Or are they both one and the same?