If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PLEX, SHOW YOUR CUSTOMERS SOME RESPECT

missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 231Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

We are tired of waiting for fixes and even more tired of being left in the dark for a quarter of a whole calendar year. If this poor guy has health issues, tell us something personal is an issue. If he quit, tell us you are looking for a replacement. If this app is above your guys ability, say we are incompetent. At this point tell us something. For crying out-loud, at this point just post a link to Emby on this forum. I don't know who thinks this is the way to do PR and support, but it isn't.

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,138Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited June 24

The last windows store app update was last month. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1435970/#Comment_1435970

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 231Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:
    The last windows store app update was last month. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1435970/#Comment_1435970

And addressed non of the long standing issues. Horray!!!

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,138Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

there's plenty of work going on related to the Windows client and we've certainly not abandoned the platform, but we don't have any specific information to share currently sorry.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files

@BigWheel said:
    there's plenty of work going on related to the Windows client and we've certainly not abandoned the platform, but we don't have any specific information to share currently sorry.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but I have plex on various platforms in this house. The syncing is just awful on any of the Windows devices. The crashing is constant. The app fails at marking episodes as watched. ETC. I know it takes time to fix stuff, but on the other platforms, things are reported in eventually they are fixed. On Windows they just hang around forever. Just my opinion. Thanks for the update though; I appreciate it.

• jfreimanjfreiman Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@missionsparta - I wouldn't discount possibility that the Plex for Windows app is crashing etc because the new Windows platform is still buggy. I can't tell you how many times a day/week that the 'native' Microsoft apps for email (outlook) video playback, etc crash all the time too. :/
    However, I will certainly agree with you that Plex has dropped the ball keeping their Windows Store apps feature equal to their iOS and Android apps.
    While this could be attributed to more users on the other platforms, what can not be understood is lack of communication from Plex -- I doubt that Plex.tv even has a marketing or communication department. THEY SUCK (period). They seem to be understaffed and have no focus or discernable direction for their Platform!
    I'm at the point where I will jump ship and completely abandon Plex if ANY ALTERNATIVE service were to become available - no matter how new or immature it is.

• SpinelessSpineless Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would never attribute the multitude of Plex issues on the Windows platform. Lots of apps are rock solid. I haven't had any notable issues with Netflix, Hulu, Groove or Movies & TV. Yes, occasionally there is an issue in an app like Mail, but 9 times out of 10, a simple restart is all that's needed and the problem isn't seen again. With Plex, the issues are totally reproducible. They never seem to go away. Besides the constant crashing, Plex is an absolute train wreck when used in Tablet Mode.

@Spineless said:
    I would never attribute the multitude of Plex issues on the Windows platform. Lots of apps are rock solid. I haven't had any notable issues with Netflix, Hulu, Groove or Movies & TV. Yes, occasionally there is an issue in an app like Mail, but 9 times out of 10, a simple restart is all that's needed and the problem isn't seen again. With Plex, the issues are totally reproducible. They never seem to go away. Besides the constant crashing, Plex is an absolute train wreck when used in Tablet Mode.

Yep, yep, and yep. This isn't the OS. Like you said, Hulu and Netflix are rock solid. So if they can do it, there is no reason Plex can't.

• foxprorawksfoxprorawks Posts: 76Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:

A month has passed since you posted this - any update on progress with the client?

I assume you are prioritising bug fixes, and would expect to see an update fairly soon. Am I misguided?

Also, are any employees at Plex assigned to customer support for the Windows client? If so, can you ask them to respond to questions on the forum?

• NVader2000NVader2000 Posts: 453Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been offline for a while but recently I noticed a huge battery drain on my 950XL. Even though I have not used Plex as much as I would like, due to lack of quality over all, I do find it eating away at my battery even though I am not even using it. I mean even after a hard reboot of my device Plex seems to drink a lot for no apparent reason even though it is not running in the background. I just wanted to point this out before I start my rant.

I have seen ups and downs with Plex in all aspects, but more downs in the past year. I have Two Windows Phones (640XL and 950XL, both best phones ever) Android, iOS, Xbox 360, Xbox One S, Roku 3, 4, and a Ultra, all accessing my Synology DS3615xs. Most of my usage is on the Xbox One S as I have given up on the Roku for my Home Theater. The Xbox One S is far superior, plus Roku has been having a bad run of audio issues in the recent builds with no resolution to date even though they claim it has been fixed. The other devices are just used for either Camera Uploads or basic playback of video and music.

I have seen the Windows Phone support by Plex diminish over the past year. Not sure if this is the lack of interest but I am going to guess they are having a hard time find a Windows UWP dev willing to code on the platform. "pombeirp" has been off line for some time so I feel that Plex has lost/fired this dev and BigWheel is stepping if for some lite PR just to mitigate any potential upraising that would draw attention to Plex negatively. Remember that Plex has control over the forum and that means over pombeirp account as well. So they could essentially impersonate pombeirp making us think all is well but the behavior speaks otherwise. Now I could be wrong as I have been so in the past, but when I am not the only one seeing the light fading away, so I cannot be far off.

I will give Plex some credit as Microsoft has put Windows Phone on hold until further notice. I get they may want to hold off to see what MSFT is going to do next, like Windows on ARM, but that should not stop them entirely because what ever it is will be running UWP. There is also a strong possibility of iOS via "Bridge" and Plex might be looking to consolidate their efforts, thus why there is less of a need for UWP developers, hence why pombeirp maybe so quiet.

Do not take any of what say to seriously as I am just pointing out possibilities based on my experience and what i have read here on Plex. I will end this post saying the Windows 10 Phone is by far the best interface I have seen on any mobile phone. It gives you the best of all three worlds. The simple design of iOS, but with the control/access of Android, all this running of the same intuitiveness of Windows no matter what device. The only thing that Microsoft screwed up on was the marketing. Most people are simple minded and marketing has power over them. My wife (iPhone lover) has seen what my 950XL can do and shed admits it blows the iPhone and Android away, like beyond, like way beyond, like way far beyond. For my wife she was already use to the iOS interface and if MSFT had done a better job in the marketing department they would have won over my wife's lover for the iPhone. She has a an investment in her iPhone and iPad so it is hard to switch. It like cars or a favorite hand bag. We are all creatures of habit and if we like one brand of cars or hand bags then we are most likely going to stick with that brand regardless if they suck or not or if there is something better.

• foxprorawksfoxprorawks Posts: 76Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's the silence on the issue I don't get. Multiple support questions over months are being ignored, yet we're told: "there's plenty of work going on related to the Windows client and we've certainly not abandoned the platform". Months pass by, with no updates to the software.

@NVader2000 said:
    I have been offline for a while but recently I noticed a huge battery drain on my 950XL. Even though I have not used Plex as much as I would like, due to lack of quality over all, I do find it eating away at my battery even though I am not even using it. I mean even after a hard reboot of my device Plex seems to drink a lot for no apparent reason even though it is not running in the background. I just wanted to point this out before I start my rant.

I have seen ups and downs with Plex in all aspects, but more downs in the past year. I have Two Windows Phones (640XL and 950XL, both best phones ever) Android, iOS, Xbox 360, Xbox One S, Roku 3, 4, and a Ultra, all accessing my Synology DS3615xs. Most of my usage is on the Xbox One S as I have given up on the Roku for my Home Theater. The Xbox One S is far superior, plus Roku has been having a bad run of audio issues in the recent builds with no resolution to date even though they claim it has been fixed. The other devices are just used for either Camera Uploads or basic playback of video and music.

I have seen the Windows Phone support by Plex diminish over the past year. Not sure if this is the lack of interest but I am going to guess they are having a hard time find a Windows UWP dev willing to code on the platform. "pombeirp" has been off line for some time so I feel that Plex has lost/fired this dev and BigWheel is stepping if for some lite PR just to mitigate any potential upraising that would draw attention to Plex negatively. Remember that Plex has control over the forum and that means over pombeirp account as well. So they could essentially impersonate pombeirp making us think all is well but the behavior speaks otherwise. Now I could be wrong as I have been so in the past, but when I am not the only one seeing the light fading away, so I cannot be far off.

I will give Plex some credit as Microsoft has put Windows Phone on hold until further notice. I get they may want to hold off to see what MSFT is going to do next, like Windows on ARM, but that should not stop them entirely because what ever it is will be running UWP. There is also a strong possibility of iOS via "Bridge" and Plex might be looking to consolidate their efforts, thus why there is less of a need for UWP developers, hence why pombeirp maybe so quiet.

Do not take any of what say to seriously as I am just pointing out possibilities based on my experience and what i have read here on Plex. I will end this post saying the Windows 10 Phone is by far the best interface I have seen on any mobile phone. It gives you the best of all three worlds. The simple design of iOS, but with the control/access of Android, all this running of the same intuitiveness of Windows no matter what device. The only thing that Microsoft screwed up on was the marketing. Most people are simple minded and marketing has power over them. My wife (iPhone lover) has seen what my 950XL can do and shed admits it blows the iPhone and Android away, like beyond, like way beyond, like way far beyond. For my wife she was already use to the iOS interface and if MSFT had done a better job in the marketing department they would have won over my wife's lover for the iPhone. She has a an investment in her iPhone and iPad so it is hard to switch. It like cars or a favorite hand bag. We are all creatures of habit and if we like one brand of cars or hand bags then we are most likely going to stick with that brand regardless if they suck or not or if there is something better.

Everyone keeps talking about this app as if it is only for Windows Phone. It's also fire any tablets and laptops, suck as the Surface Family and third party devices. Fast now teaching than the dying Windows Phones.

@BigWheel said:

Ok. Your post was June 23. There is nothing but issues with this app and it is now August 4th. Let's start being honest. There is more going on here than "we are working hard". This app has more problems than iOS and Android combined, yet it gets ZERO attention, major issues hang around for YEARS, and we get next to nothing as far as updates. Either release some fixes or just tell everyone to spend your money elsewhere. It took many of us sometime to set up a Plex ecosystem, which makes it hard to just bail, and in result we keep just paying a monthly fee and waiting...but if there really is no clue as to where this version is going, let us know so we can stop wasting time and money here.

• The Holy StigmaThe Holy Stigma Posts: 143Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

theres a simple solution then . instead of creating a huge hissy fit just dont use it or spend the money. stop acting immature and grow up complaining wont change anything you can say things here and there but no company is perfect and no issue has a fix that makes everyone happy. so use it or dont simple

• SpinelessSpineless Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gariland123 said:
    theres a simple solution then . instead of creating a huge hissy fit just dont use it or spend the money. stop acting immature and grow up complaining wont change anything you can say things here and there but no company is perfect and no issue has a fix that makes everyone happy. so use it or dont simple

Paying customers are more than in their right to complain about the current screwed up state of Plex. Many of us have purchased lifetime licenses, because we believe(d) in the platform.

Attacking customers and/or their complaints is not a winning solution...

• mike4001mike4001 Posts: 556Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What else can we do until we get an answer from PLEX ?

Should we spam every other sub-forum with threads whats going on with the UWP app?

@gariland123 said:

I love how there is always one clown whose answer to a poorly supported product is to just not use it. You should be a CEO. At this point forget the money. You know how much time many of us have into these setups?

• jfreimanjfreiman Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@missionsparta said:

@gariland123 said:

I love how there is always one clown whose answer to a poorly supported product is to just not use it. You should be a CEO. At this point forget the money. You know how much time many of us have into these setups?

Agreed! I have spent the last 18 months moving my collections over from My Movies(.dk) (movie and television collections) to Plex. While I never deleted my MyMovies database or the software, I spend much less time updating it, adding movie data, etc.
    There have been several occasions over the past year where I have had to start my collection in Plex over from scratch because of platform issues and no real documentation on how to transfer or migrate from one server to another replace with larger drive(s) to support thumbnail generation, etc.
    Plex and it's users have been around a lot longer than I have been using the platform and I honestly don't know why support in the form of documentation is still missing!!
    Also, the way Plex stores all of it's data in hundreds of directories in in many thousands of tiny files spread around is just mind baffling. Why does Plex not store all of this data in a large database with an efficient index so that images and data can load quickly(er)? Or be more portable from one server platform to another.
    My Plex Media Server folder on Windows has it's own dedicated 500GB SSD. It has been chucking away at my collection since 5-11-2017 and has grown to consume 290 GB and is still growing -- with no 'meter' or function to see what it has processed or has yet to process - let alone, a way to calculate an approximate size needed for xx hours of video you have or other algorithm or tool to assist in managing, maintaining or building a collection....
    My entire MyMovies database which is compressed into one SQL DB file of 4.6GB. This file is portable and can be imported onto a new computer, fresh build or restored if my current database becomes corrupt.
    How do we "back up" our Plex "database"? we spend tens of hours using zip to compress the folders into a tiny .zip file that is tiny when compared side-by-side with the space these files consume on a disk.
    And don't tell me how you can easily "back up the database" from the WebGUI of Plex Media Server because that, folks, is not a "backup" I would consider that more of a "Plex profile" backup or some other function. Because if you have to transfer Plex to a new computer, replace a drive or when my Plex folder(s) grow beyond the space my 500GB SSD can hold, I will not be able to use the "backup" Plex makes to restore my collection and libraries. It doesn't even save the cover art I have selected for each movie or series, let alone a season and episode art.
    So yea, that's why we can't just stop using Plex. I've made a lot of compromises moving from MyMovies to Plex all for one core feature central to Plex -- streaming and transcoding and that feature (with any build of PMS) has been getting worse and worse and I now can't play many of the shows I record on my TV's Plex app on the local gigabit wired network -- for that I have to power up my old Xbox 360 and use it's archaic Plex app.

• The Holy StigmaThe Holy Stigma Posts: 143Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 8

@missionsparta said:

@gariland123 said:

mocking me or plex's services still doesnt change my point you pay for this without realizing how plex works there not obligated to provide your every need you pay for access to certain features that non paid users dont get so like it or not your groaning about not getting what you want within 3 months of so is nothing but childish your acting like a little kid who has a friend who got a bigger handmade lollipop then you when in reality handmade lollipops are very hard to make them exactly the same size

• eBellmereBellmer Posts: 93Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gariland123 said:
    mocking me or plex's services still doesnt change my point you pay for this without realizing how plex works there not obligated to provide your every need you pay for access to certain features that non paid users dont get so like it or not your groaning about not getting what you want within 3 months of so is nothing but childish your acting like a little kid who has a friend who got a bigger handmade lollipop then you when in reality handmade lollipops are very hard to make them exactly the same size

To be frank, it's more along the lines of charging the same price for a shattered lollipop as a pristine one.
    If you're going to use stupid similes at least keep them in a proper perspective.

Router: pfSense
    PMS:
    * CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2670 V1s
    * Mobo: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16
    * RAM: 48GB DDR3 ECC PC3-10600F
    * RAID Controller: Adaptec 6805E
    * Storage: 5TB (RAID 1), 3TB (RAID 1), 1TB (RAID 1), 1TB (RAID 1)

• NVader2000NVader2000 Posts: 453Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well it is official, sort-of. MSFT is slowly putting the Windows 10 Mobile out to pasture. Windows Phone 8.1 is officially EoL where Windows 10 Mobile is only getting fixes and security updates through the RS2_Release branch until around the end of 2018. There will be no RS3 or RS4 for Windows Mobile, ever. However, there will be some API backporting, but that might buy your another year or two at best. Andromeda_OS with CSHell is now their main focus. It is the Windows on ARM. Devices running this OS will send a very large spike in the mobile market. Andromeda_OS with CSHell will technically run on just about anything, literally and battery life is said to be in the weeks, not hours or days.

MSFT is also turning toward the white space in the terrestrial space. The FCC has over the years been holding on to the channels that broadcaster use who either do not renew their FCC license or fails to meet requirements. This is now has become unlicensed terrestrial bands. In other words free for all to use. MSFT plans to use this for enhanced longer range WiFi. I mean like 100 - 300 miles. Eat that Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile! You data plans are going to be worthless!

In any event the next device may not be the mobile phone that we are use to seeing. At best it might be a modular device that can either expand to a larger device or add-ons like a LED projector, SLR lens, diagnostic tools, speakers, laser tape measure etc. There is even talks about a new version of the HoloLens (version 3) that I will have AI built in and will twice as small as the current version.

For Plex, the least I would expect would be bug fixes to the current build for the next year or two.