If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Getting a "Conversion failed. Transcoder crashed or failed to start up" error.

dko888dko888 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I've been using Plex for 3+ years now without seeing this conversion failed error. With the recent server update, I'm seeing this error randomly pop up, could be within a minute, could take more than 30 minutes, it does not occur on the same frame(s). I've seen this issue happen on both Chromecast as well as Xbox One Plex App.

I have attached my log files right after the most recent occurrence.

I'm current using Server version 1.9.2.4285 on Windows 10 64-bit.
I've already tried renaming the RSA folder as suggested in another forum entry but that hasn't helped.

Answers

• FawkeeFawkee Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same thing happening here. Windows 7 x64 and I'm on 1.9.3.4290 but it has happened with the last few that came out in the last couple weeks.

• DeltaVictorDeltaVictor Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, Windows 10 64-bit server version 1.9.2.4285. It seems to be related to transcoding audio.

• mazdaracermazdaracer Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ditto! Running on AMDA8 laptop running Xbuntu 16+ i686. Will not play music nor display photos but still plays movies. I think the last one that worked was maybe 1.8.1? I didn't save the earlier versions. Would be nice to have those in the library someplace to fall back to.

• dko888dko888 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm only seeing this with movies since I don't use Plex for music or photos. I hope someone on Plex team can review my logs and tell me what happened. This bug renders the product unusuable and has occurred with multiple movies.

Well at least now we have confirmation it isn't us specifically which also means there are lots of people who haven't posted that are having the same issue. Anyone out there have any ideas?

• COMELOL-SERVERCOMELOL-SERVER Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

same happend here.

• SleepwalkerSleepwalker Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I got the same problem. Can't provide logs since I'm not at home. I've mostly seen this on my mobile, but it has also occurred on the web player. Web player is on Windows 10 and chrome. Mobile is a android on Samsung Galaxy 28th and the server is a Windows 10 Intel machine.

Yep this is getting old really fast. Hey Plex, have enough of us posted in here yet to catch your attention?

Turning off subtitles doesn't fix the problem for me. Still getting the randomn crashes.

Anyone in here found a solution?

edited October 12

I ended up downgrading until I got to server 1.3.4.3285 and got the streaming stable again. At least now it's usable again but I would like to see some response from Plex team on why it happened or if they are looking into it. Otherwise, what's the point of getting a lifetime plex pass if I can't even get support and stuck on outdated server version.

• abigllama2abigllama2 Posts: 10Members ✭✭

I'm having the same problem and it's making streaming useless and incredibly frustrating. . Going to downgrade to solve it since never happened until the update on the weekend.

• jason__00jason__00 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Been dealing with this issue for almost 2 months now. Unbelievably frustrating, and i've tried everything I can think of.

Bump. I mean I'm sure it'll get ignored and just sink again but bump anyway.

As a test, I upgraded from server v1.3.4.3285 to the latest server version (v1.9.4.4325) and replicated conversion failed error again within 30 minutes.

@sa2000, can you help and provide guidance to what could be the issue? I have attached today's log files.

Had the same problems with the latest update, tried everything. Downgraded to 1.5.5.3634 and it works fine again.

• redfield99redfield99 Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Found this thread after searching for answers to my same issues.. guess I will be downgrading as well. Hope to see a fix for this soon.

• jason__00jason__00 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@abigllama2 said:
    Had the same problems with the latest update, tried everything. Downgraded to 1.5.5.3634 and it works fine again.

Would you happen to have a link to a download for that version?

@jason__00 said:

@abigllama2 said:

Would you happen to have a link to a download for that version?

I got it from filehorse through a google search.

@abigllama2 said:
    I got it from filehorse through a google search.

How is 1.5.5.3634 holding up for you? I tried 1.5.5.3634 as well and while I did not specifically get the "Conversion failed" error message, the transcoding still randomly stopped in mid movie just like with the latest server version.