If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Option to import itunes playlist is missing

Vin1000Vin1000 Posts: 1Members

I have started adding music to my plex server but now the option to import itunes playlist/ratings in the advanced tab is missing. Is this a bug? Does option disappear once folder starts populating? Or do I have to recreate the folder links all over again?

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,982Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

That option is only there in advanced when first creating the library. Though You can do it from the Playlists "library" gear menu on upper right

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • starbelly33starbelly33 Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not sure what I am missing here. I have imported playlist form Itunes using the web interface with no issues several times since it was introduced; however, today there is no gear in the top right under playlists....any help will be appreciated.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,982Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Not sure why it is missing.I doubt it was intentional. I filed a bug report about it

Any feedback on this request?

• lr1950lr1950 Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 12

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught this. I also don't see all of my playlists. I only have 18 visible playlists of the 160+ that I have. The other playlists that not visible are located in folders via the iTunes import and also are not showing up on the local, web, and my android versions of Plex.

• JohnMason1951JohnMason1951 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 13

Same here. Not good, as Plex's own playlist creation features for music really limited. Need it back really soon, as I'm constantly adding new music to my library. It also updated ratings etc, another needful thing.

edited September 13

I would be pretty happy if this gets looked into. Yesterday I deleted my entire music library and created a new permium library with selecting the option to import Itunes. This took the better part of 5 hours. Plex successfully imported the library including the Itunes playlists; however, when selecting the playlists "library" there still is no gear menu option for subsequent imports and overwrites of Itunes playlists. I have never seen the slider that is there at the moment displayed on the playlist "library" before.

• mspecktor@gmail.commspecktor@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

Having this very same problem, and quite irritated by it. This really does need to be fixed.

• StromosStromos Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 15

Just added new music to my library/playlists and found this as well. Very annoying.

Running the Windows Plex Server.

• AmoleoAmoleo Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still not there. I wonder if this has been temporarily removed on purpose, I couldn't get it to work in the last version. When I ran it, it just deleted all my previous iTunes playlists.

• lr1950lr1950 Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 16

Due to the lack of any major communication from the team, which is usual anyway - the only thing I can come up with is that PLEX 2.0 is on its way with UI changes for all platforms, closing the loose ends on the DVR, and working out the details on the new integrated third party relationships they said they were working on. I noticed as a Plex Pass user we received a downloadable 1.9.0. Version 2.0 is bound to be on the way. If you guys noticed, that privacy policy fiasco was slated to arrive by September 20th and we are days away. I'm wondering if all this M.I.A. business thats going on will be a clean up of whats needed to be fixed such as a revamp on the music libraries and playlists. I can only hope.

I did comment on sept 7 that i made a bug report for that. it will be added back but i do not have an ETA.

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,741Members ✭✭✭✭

@lr1950 said:
    Due to the lack of any major communication from the team, which is usual anyway - the only thing I can come up with is that PLEX 2.0 is on its way with UI changes for all platforms, closing the loose ends on the DVR, and working out the details on the new integrated third party relationships they said they were working on. I noticed as a Plex Pass user we received a downloadable 1.9.0. Version 2.0 is bound to be on the way. If you guys noticed, that privacy policy fiasco was slated to arrive by September 20th and we are days away. I'm wondering if all this M.I.A. business thats going on will be a clean up of whats needed to be fixed such as a revamp on the music libraries and playlists. I can only hope.

There was a reply on the 8th September, it has been reported as a BUG.

I believe it's all a storm in a tea cup, reading the forums with a positive frame of mind indicates a far less of concern.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• hamsaffarhamsaffar Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here, the import itunes playlist is simply missing from the top right corner on Plex web interface. BUT I have a solution till it's fixed by Plex. I also use Plex app for chrome browser and the option to import iTunes playlists is still there in the top right corner and is a not missing and to be honest I like the plex app for chrome browser better than Plex web. Just search for Plex in Google chrome extensions install the app to your browser, and you can create a shortcut to your desktop for quick and easy access.
    Good luck.

• capricorn_ascapricorn_as Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also missing the gear in the web browser version of Plex. I've got the slider and the waffle-looking grid. I followed hamsaffar's direction above, and downloaded the chrome app, and the gear icon is there...processing playlists now, with fingers crossed.

It would be really nice to get an ETA on the bug fix for the web browser, I wasted probably an hour yesterday trying different recommendations from here in the forums to try to get the playlists to import. It's a major impediment to me ditching my Apple dependency. :(

as a work around you can do this. it requires creating unique URL to hit

{PMSIP}:32400/playlists/import/itunes?sectionID={sectionIndex}&force=1&X-Plex-Token={yourToken}

replacing the {XXX} bits with particulars to your server

{PMSIP} is your servers IP address

{sectionIndex} is the ID number for the music library with files the playlist will be linked to

Open the music library in web app and look at URL. In it you will see a part like ...sections%2F42... the number after the %2F is the section ID. in that case it would be 42

{yourToken} is your unique token for authentication to your server

how to find your token can be found here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204059436-Finding-an-authentication-token-X-Plex-Token

You can make a book mark with URL i suppose or just save it in a text document until this is fixed and button or other way is brought back

• xlucero1xlucero1 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Those are great instructions for those that maybe familiar with the process, so thank you for that.
    But for those that are not familiar with creating a unique URL, can you create a mini vid on how to do all that?
    You make it sound so easy, too easy.
    Thank you.

• SamplethiefSamplethief Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Put this back!!!

• bheydaribheydari Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i lost this functionality too and all of my former playlists imported from iTunes magically and sadly disappeared. This is key functionality to use of the Music app in PLEX and needs to be restored/fixed.

• lb711lb711 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Running PMS on Windows Home Server 2011 for a five years. I have tried the above workaround to update my iTunes playlists imported into PMS and only 5 of the 171 playlists. are actually imported.Is there another workaround until this is fixed or that Plex informs us that this functionality is no longer supported?