Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plexamp Feature Request: Shuffle by Album

chucksensechucksense Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm more a full album listener than a mix of lots of tracks listener. I know, old fashioned and probably an edge case, but a guy can ask right? :D

I'd love if I could set it to shuffle by album and then it plays randomized whole albums from my library.

Great work, this is a fun little app—I love the UX of it!

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 6,981Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Of course you can ask, that's at least one of the points of having a bit of an experimental app :smiley:

Thanks for the kind words!

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• uneaqsuneaqs Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I too love Plexamp and would very much appreciate a Shuffle by Album feature.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 6,981Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Curious about this, as I've never used the feature myself; you set it up, and then if you don't like the album you can skip by whole album at a time? Is there actual custom UI for the mode in players? :sweat_smile:

• solitaryreignsolitaryreign Posts: 28Members ✭✭

I would like to see this feature as well! More an album listener myself like the OP.

As for how it works: It shuffles to a different album after the last song of one. Otherwise it's like normal, you skip to the next song in the album. I know this from foobar2000, no custom UI there (but there is not really a fixed UI in foobar2000 since it's all modular) just like a button/drop down menu for the mode, like there is in PlexAmp already.

PMS 1.10.1.4602 on QNAP TS-251+ 4.3.4 64bit
    Clients: Mac OSX 10.11.6 OpenPHT 1.8.0 // iOS 10.3.3 Plex 4.24.1 // RPi RasPlex

• chucksensechucksense Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 20

In iTunes, the UX is similar to what thetysos described. I just hit the "shuffle" button again if I'm not in the mood for the album that was selected (which happens quite frequently by the way, downside of having quite diverse musical taste) and a new album is selected. Otherwise next/previous switches tracks within the album.

(Aside: My Music to Shuffle smart playlist logic.)

Cool, thanks @chucksense! We've been discussing a bit internally to see how we'd go about providing such a thing...

Can you spot the new radio?

(Just doing some playing this evening, but it actually works pretty well :sweat_smile:)

• solitaryreignsolitaryreign Posts: 28Members ✭✭

Dope! Though a button would be even better - to filter first by whatever you like (artist, genre, etc.) and shuffle those albums then. Or even album shuffle a (smart-)playlist.
    Looking forward to test this anyway :smile:

PMS 1.10.1.4602 on QNAP TS-251+ 4.3.4 64bit
    Clients: Mac OSX 10.11.6 OpenPHT 1.8.0 // iOS 10.3.3 Plex 4.24.1 // RPi RasPlex

• tomsimmonstomsimmons Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can't wait to give this a go, my PlexAmp doesn't have it yet, but does think it's running the latest version?

Going to push my luck here, people having been asking for random > @elan said:

(Just doing some playing this evening, but it actually works pretty well :sweat_smile:)

So we now have random album play in PlexAmp?

Can't wait to give this a go, my PlexAmp doesn't have it yet, but does think it's running the latest version?

Going to push my luck here, people having been asking for random album function in Plex for ages - any chance?

Tom

@elan said:

Amazing. I suspect this would serve my purposes brilliantly and I can't wait to try it out!

• JR86JR86 Posts: 42Members ✭✭
    edited January 31

I don't see this Shuffle by Album feature in version 1.0.2.... 1.0.3?

Sorry, it involves a server update, so we need to get the code into review, merged, etc. :sweat_smile:

Any update on when we might expect this?

It should work its way into the next Plex Pass server release, which generally happens every two weeks.

• jpmahalajpmahala Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 15

It's there now, and it works great. Thank you!

Any chance plexamp playlist functionality (Time Travel Radio, and Random Album Radio) could be added to the mobile app and perhaps the Android Auto interface? They're great options to get listening quickly while on the go, before I become paralyzed by my indecisiveness.

Yep, we're working on that!

• serakserak Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any update on supporting this in other clients (e.g. Plex Web, iOS)?