Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Show us your Plex setup!

atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,093 Plex Ninja

It is time to start the ultimate Plex setup thread! I know the developers are keen to see how you guys are using Plex in your home. And I am fairly sure that some of you guys are quite good a capturing your setup in a really cool photograph or even video.

So bring on the photos. Don't be shy!

Comments

• dane22dane22 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,885 Plex Ninja
    atrus wrote on November 18 2013, 11:21 PM: »

It is time to start the ultimate Plex setup thread! I know the developers are keen to see how you guys are using Plex in your home. And I am fairly sure that some of you guys are quite good a capturing your setup in a really cool photograph or even video.

So bring on the photos. Don't be shy!

Sure.....but let's start with you, so we can see what you expect from us :P

• atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,093 Plex Ninja
    edited November 2013
    dane22 wrote on November 18 2013, 11:49 PM: »

Sure.....but let's start with you, so we can see what you expect from us :P

I have cabled everywhere at the moment. I will add photos of my setup, definitely, but I have to make some adjustments/cleaning first ;)

• mmccurdymmccurdy The Official Mike M Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 835 Plex Employee

Love the idea behind this thread...  so much that I'm willing to be the first to post some (very candid) pics of my current home setup.

First, the main TV.  We're constrained by the room and fireplace, so this is as good as it's going to get (definite room for improvement here):

setup.jpg

Closeup of the HTPC and some networking stuff:

shelves.jpg

Lastly (is it weird that I may be most proud of this bit?) the mini rack making the "thin" living room setup possible.  Took some steps to quiet it down (pro tip: Noctua fans) so it can live in the room next to the bedroom with no ill effect:

rack.jpg

I know there are plenty of folks out there with setups to put this one to shame in one way or another, so let's see em!  :D

• - NaDs- NaDs Members, Plex Pass Posts: 506 Plex Pass

i will go next....

here is my set up, i cant stand any cords!!!!

i love that plex samsung app gives me the ability to have the same design on each tv without having to have something connected to them all

all controlled by Harmony touch (expect pc)

Pc

yIjlTkuh.jpg

Bedroom -

46 inch samsung

0nE8t94h.jpg

Theatre room/ 2nd loungeroom -

65 inch samsung

Yamaha ysp-2200 soundbar

ps3

JnKkobTh.jpg

Loungeroom  -

55inch samsung

Bose solo sound system

K3ZC4h7h.jpg

• atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,093 Plex Ninja

Now THAT is what I am talking about! Lovely pics guys!

• mvnmvn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

@mmccurdy, what is that 'NAS' you are using? Home made I assume but what components?

• don.chuliodon.chulio Members, Plex Pass Posts: 225 Plex Pass
    edited December 2013
    Hello from Germany.

This thread is a very nice idea for hints and inspirations, thank you for this!

Lets start with my storage solutions (Drobo and Time Capsule 802.11ac) in the middle you see my HP Laserjet with AirPrint:

[attachment=22784:Foto 4.JPG]

Living room
    In the main room I am using the following hardware:

- Apple TV
    - 4x B&W CM5
    - Celexon MultiCel 4070 Expert
    - Denon AVR-X2000
    - Epson EH-TW6100W
    - Logitech Smart Harmony
    - Tronje TRLW PT-120
    - Unitymedia Horizon
    - Xbox One

[attachment=22785:Foto 1-2.JPG] [attachment=22790:Foto.JPG] [attachment=22786:Foto 3-2.JPG] [attachment=22788:Foto 2.JPG]  [attachment=22787:Foto 1.JPG]

Cause I wanted to keep the doors closed, I mounted two silent fans with an USB adapter in my lowboard which are getting powered by the Mac mini and on the other side from the Xbox One. So you will only see the AV reciever and the Hardware will stay cold.

[attachment=22789:Foto 3.JPG]

Bedroom
    In our bedroom we are using an old 50-inch Plasma from LG which is mounted on the wall with an Apple TV 3rd Gen invisible on the backside. Cause we are using this TV not very often the sound comes from a simple Sony soundsystem.

[attachment=22791:Foto-2.JPG]

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,074 Plex Team Member

why do i get almost fullscreen pop up adverts when viewing the images?

You should change the repository you use for images - not nice when wanting to see your plex setup to get an advert in your face

edited December 2013
    You are right in fullscreen there is an advert. I will fix that.

PS: Fixed!
  • lenaxialenaxia Members, Plex Pass Posts: 425 Plex Pass

Here's my setup in my tiny apartment.

Oxs2hZYl.jpg

2x Polk Monitor 50 tower speakers

Onkyo HT-R160 7.2 Receiver

Old Philips 47" TV that needs a 4k Upgrade

Polk PSW-10 100W sub

And the Media Server is running Win8 Pro and is driving the TV and has PMS Virtualized on a FlexRaid array consisting of a psudo-RAID5 with 6x2TB WD Caviar Blacks driven by 2x250GB OCZ Vertex 3's

With an i7-3770S, 32GB ram, and 3 teamed-gigabit NICs, I can serve 6+ 1080p transcoded streams simultaneously.

PMS serves this stuff up all to these devices

8HI9EVWl.jpg

Bottom one being a TV in my bedroom closet.

I can't wait to own my own house so I can make everything all pretty.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,074 Plex Team Member
    edited December 2013
    don.chulio wrote on December 6 2013, 7:47 PM: »

PS: Fixed!

NO

Tried first http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3463/fxasqrz6_jpg.htm and got SevenAds. I close it and get another one.

Switch to Dropbox or if you have not used up your 36Mb allocation on the forums just upload as attachments and have in-line

You are right, further I edited the post and uploaded the images on my iPad were where no ads.

Now I uploaded the images in your forum. Thanks for the hints!

don.chulio wrote on December 6 2013, 9:16 PM: »

You are right, further I edited the post and uploaded the images on my iPad were where no ads.

Now I uploaded the images in your forum. Thanks for the hints!

Much prettier now and in step with everyone else#s

Thank you

• mmccurdymmccurdy The Official Mike M Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 835 Plex Employee
    mvn wrote on December 6 2013, 12:39 PM: »

@mmccurdy, what is that 'NAS' you are using? Home made I assume but what components?

The highlights:

• Norco 4224 24-bay enclosure / 3x 120mm fan bulkhead / Noctua fans throughout 
    • Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard / i3 CPU / 16GB RAM
    • 3x cross-flashed IBM M1015 SAS controllers
    • Smallish SSD for the OS (don't remember the exact details)

zfs_box_inside.png

• rubenmarques85rubenmarques85 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 47 Plex Pass
    Great stuff...
    I am still working on my plex system but hopefully will show something in a few days

Sent from my bq Aquaris 5 using Tapatalk

• smakasmaka Members, Plex Pass Posts: 70 Plex Pass

wow!!! some of your houses make me not wanna post!!! My crib is not even close to being as nice as some posted in this thread!

I will snap a few images and update this post!

• mattnadmattnad Members, Plex Pass Posts: 446 Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

Here is one of my rooms, including the DIY build from a few years ago (including dated Plex Interface).  Single Photo below to avoid having to go to Flikr.

All of it is managed by a Harmony 890 IR and RF remote, including lighting controls.

System:

• Denon AVR 7.1, 130WPC receiver, with Audyssey calibation.
    • Mac Mini CD2 2.23 Ghz pulling video from a Synology DS410 NAS
    • Twin cooling fans, with temperature sensing switch for the equipment cabinet.
    • Epson 6100 home theater projector, 1080p
    • 120" Powered Screen, 1.1 gain.
    • Main Speakers, ProAc response.  Also MonoPrice in Walls, bypassed for now.
    • Surrounds, Mono Price In-Wall and Ceiling.
    • 500W RBH Signature Subwoofer
    • Insteon light switches, managed by the remote, including auto bright and dimming when movie is paused.

5742700002_a469ebd893_b.jpg

And the full build.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37489013@N00/sets/72157612523404408/

edited December 2013

Here's another Plex installation.  It's in the kid's playroom/family room.  I wall mounted a 50" plasma and custom built and stained a little bookshelf to put on top of the entertainment stand/table.  In the close-up, you can also see the wooden spacer I built to raise the Mac Mini and the Logitec Squeezebox.  That also conceals a lot of wiring for the ethernet switch attached to a homeplug for data from the router.  FYI, the colors are all off - I took the photos with an old iPhone 4 - that camera is showing its age.

11351763936_1f5155606b_b.jpg

11351707315_8ea1f99a99_b.jpg

edited December 2013

Theatre room/ 2nd loungeroom -

65 inch samsung

Yamaha ysp-2200 soundbar

ps3

JnKkobTh.jpg

Very clean installation and decor.  Like the minimalism. Like you, I hate wires.

• chris811chris811 Members Posts: 108 ✭✭

All I have to say is WOW!!! One day I will do something like that, right now is not that pretty at all.