After PLEX setup, drive is Read Only

Server Version#:
Player Version#:

After setting up my PLEX in Linuz-Ubuntu, my external hard drives are now read only to me.

I’ve tried multiple things and nothing seems to work. If I change it back, I can write to the drives, but PLEX no longer works.

If I leave the drives in my personal media path, PLEX can’t see them anymore.

You don’t go into a lot of details, but I would guess you’ve got a mixed up assortment of read/write permissions as well as who owns what and what the group settings are.

I suggest reading through Chuck Pa’s Linux Tips

Yeah, sorry about the little info, I don’t post a lot of “help me” things in forums.

BUT … I think I finally got it to work !!!

I wanted my external hard drive, formatted in exFAT, because I used to run everything on Windows. Was recently hacked with some ransomware. Destroyed my OS partition and the drive it was on. (that was probably me, not the ransomware).

Instead of buying a new machine, decided to try out Linux.

About 24 hours later, between learning the Terminal commands, searching, trying this and that, then this again, then that again …

installing, then reinstalling Ubuntu …

Been a fun last couple days. Actually was, I like figuring stuff out.

So yes!! I think I got it.

All I had to do was add “uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=007” to my hard drive mount entry in “/etc/fstab”.

Course I’m still not sure why my entry starts with “/dev/disk/by-id/” (Or where that even came from. Was already in there. Not sure what I did to produce that entry.)

Instead of “UUID=”

But that research for tomorrow I guess.