@darkfu2re Those results look weird. You are probably not transcoding but remuxing. WIth intel quick sync cpu use is always in the 20s while with Plex it will hit close to 100%. The 1st image is plex transcoding a video to 1.5 mbps, 2nd is emby doing the same video and the last is emby with quick sync enabled doing the same. This is with the i3 - 4130 processor. It is embarrassing that Plex is so far behind when they have a full-time staff.
I would be so happy if Plex would FINALLY enable Intel Quick Sync like Emby. Emby runs perfectly on my Celeron J1900 with Kodi on my AndroidTV but I’d rather like to use Plex and it’s app.
@oech said:
I would be so happy if Plex would FINALLY enable Intel Quick Sync like Emby. Emby runs perfectly on my Celeron J1900 with Kodi on my AndroidTV but I’d rather like to use Plex and it’s app.
I fully agree! I wanna buy plex pass but for now is not so worth for me without IQS feature
Yesterday, i configured my ffmpeg to trancode on gpu. It was simple.
I want to try to compile opensource version plex-ffmpeg-trancoder with replaced common files from ffmpeg-3.2 master.
Pity that plex does not use system ffmpeg with the transfer of command-line options
Wow… That’s a bummer… With the new Intel Pentium N4200 coming in some months supporting H.264 and H.265/HEVC Hardware Decoding and H.264 Encoding and using only 6 to 10 watt at its peak, I thought that would make a perfect energy efficient server at home.
Does Plex even support Hardware Video Decoding? Is it even possible to decode and encode in hardware at the same time?
@rkk2025 said:
Wow… That’s a bummer… With the new Intel Pentium N4200 coming in some months supporting H.264 and H.265/HEVC Hardware Decoding and H.264 Encoding and using only 6 to 10 watt at its peak, I thought that would make a perfect energy efficient server at home.
Does Plex even support Hardware Video Decoding? Is it even possible to decode and encode in hardware at the same time?
Any info is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Yes (sometimes), and no.
Being super frank here. I would buy plex pass if there was properly functioning x265 direct play on ALL the devices that ACTUALLY SUPPORT x265.
GPU transcoding I’d love to get, but honestly file sizes get so out of control every time I’ve tried using them (even NVEC) so I presume overall it just stresses networks more, which might be an even bigger issue for me when not on local network.
Wow… That’s a bummer… With the new Intel Pentium N4200 coming in some months supporting H.264 and H.265/HEVC Hardware Decoding and H.264 Encoding and using only 6 to 10 watt at its peak, I thought that would make a perfect energy efficient server at home.
There is a new beta for Plex pass users here that supports hardware transcoding.
Does Plex even support Hardware Video Decoding? Is it even possible to decode and encode in hardware at the same time?
Being super frank here. I would buy plex pass if there was properly functioning x265 direct play on ALL the devices that ACTUALLY SUPPORT x265.
This is mostly controlled inside a few xml files inside the Plex server setup, you should be able to tweak them yourself in most cases.
GPU transcoding I’d love to get, but honestly file sizes get so out of control every time I’ve tried using them (even NVEC) so I presume overall it just stresses networks more, which might be an even bigger issue for me when not on local network.
Transcoding won’t increase file size it just converts the file to a different format for ease of streaming / device.
Wow… That’s a bummer… With the new Intel Pentium N4200 coming in some months supporting H.264 and H.265/HEVC Hardware Decoding and H.264 Encoding and using only 6 to 10 watt at its peak, I thought that would make a perfect energy efficient server at home.
There is a new beta for Plex pass users here that supports hardware transcoding.
@sitcom said:
Yeah a beta that doesn’t wotk on any of the 3 intel-based pcs that I used to test it. God Forbit if i dare to ask HW transcoding on and AMD right ?
Welcome to the forums. This is the point of the beta. If you can tell us the 3 cpu models you are using that doesn’t work, we can try to get it working or let you know why it won’t work.
@MovieFan.Plex said:
Welcome to the forums. This is the point of the beta. If you can tell us the 3 cpu models you are using that doesn’t work, we can try to get it working or let you know why it won’t work.
I’m looking to buy a new Intel NUC. Can you comment on support for hardware encoding for the 7th generation NUC’s, primarily the i3 version? Intel NUC Kit NUC7i3BNK Product Specifications
Can confirm Intel QuickSync Video works on QNAP TS-853 Pro (Celeron J1900 @ 2.0GHz) when “Use hardware acceleration when available (Experimental)” box is checked under Transcode settings. See image below:
To the devs, this took a very long time and was incredibly frustrating, but I get it. You wanted to make sure it was usable before releasing it in beta, and it is definitely usable, and makes a huge difference on low-power NAS-type devices. I can now do 4 simultaneous transcodes of high original bitrate h.264 with no issues or hiccups, when before it would struggle with more than one transcode at a time. Thank you, thank you, thank you for finally getting this in and working properly. My respect goes out to you for making it a reality.
@djzeratul said:
Can confirm Intel QuickSync Video works on QNAP TS-853 Pro (Celeron J1900 @ 2.0GHz) when “Use hardware acceleration when available (Experimental)” box is checked under Transcode settings. See image below:
To the devs, this took a very long time and was incredibly frustrating, but I get it. You wanted to make sure it was usable before releasing it in beta, and it is definitely usable, and makes a huge difference on low-power NAS-type devices. I can now do 4 simultaneous transcodes of high original bitrate h.264 with no issues or hiccups, when before it would struggle with more than one transcode at a time. Thank you, thank you, thank you for finally getting this in and working properly. My respect goes out to you for making it a reality.
Hi djzeratul
Excellenti
I’m a plex pass holder on Plex Server version 1.3.4.3285 [latest release] but don’t see that option
Presumably it is [as you say] on ‘beta’ channel - how do I get it? The early access mentioned here shows the same version [is it the DVR beta?] https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201844613-Early-Access-Preview-Releases
Intend to run on my NAS - Synology DS716+ [DSM 6.0.2 (latest release)] which has Intel Celeron N3150
@djzeratul said:
Can confirm Intel QuickSync Video works on QNAP TS-853 Pro (Celeron J1900 @ 2.0GHz) when “Use hardware acceleration when available (Experimental)” box is checked under Transcode settings. See image below:
To the devs, this took a very long time and was incredibly frustrating, but I get it. You wanted to make sure it was usable before releasing it in beta, and it is definitely usable, and makes a huge difference on low-power NAS-type devices. I can now do 4 simultaneous transcodes of high original bitrate h.264 with no issues or hiccups, when before it would struggle with more than one transcode at a time. Thank you, thank you, thank you for finally getting this in and working properly. My respect goes out to you for making it a reality.
Hi djzeratul
Excellenti
I’m a plex pass holder on Plex Server version 1.3.4.3285 [latest release] but don’t see that option
Presumably it is [as you say] on ‘beta’ channel - how do I get it? The early access mentioned here shows the same version [is it the DVR beta?] https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201844613-Early-Access-Preview-Releases
Intend to run on my NAS - Synology DS716+ [DSM 6.0.2 (latest release)] which has Intel Celeron N3150
@djzeratul said:
Can confirm Intel QuickSync Video works on QNAP TS-853 Pro (Celeron J1900 @ 2.0GHz) when “Use hardware acceleration when available (Experimental)” box is checked under Transcode settings.
I’m a plex pass holder on Plex Server version 1.3.4.3285 [latest release] but don’t see that option
Presumably it is [as you say] on ‘beta’ channel - how do I get it?
I didn’t see a Synology package in the list, so you may have to create your own using spksrc… or bug the devs to roll a Synology package
Same question about Synology asked several times in your above discussion link - the answer was docker. As earlish days yet [1.4.0 beta out < 2 months] for this big change, I’ll leave it a bit and hope docker containers suitable for Synology released along with bug fixes
A bit confusing the Plex numbering system - server 1.4.1 [non-beta to supersede 1.3.4] just released which doesn’t ‘enable’ the hardware encoding of the 1.4.0 beta code [but may include the code as a preference has seemingly leaked through] as mentioned at
@rcombs said:
Hardware transcoding is NOT enabled on version 1.4.1. The preference is still erroneously displayed, but it’s not functional; sorry for the confusion! We’re hoping to have a new version out with hardware transcoding and DVR Soon™.
Maybe clearer if the 1.3 line had continued until 1.4 was ready for primetime [at least with H/W transcoding disabled by default] but such is the fun of software revision control…
A bit confusing the Plex numbering system - server 1.4.1 [non-beta to supersede 1.3.4] just released which doesn’t ‘enable’ the hardware encoding of the 1.4.0 beta code [but may include the code as a preference has seemingly leaked through] as mentioned at
@rcombs said:
Hardware transcoding is NOT enabled on version 1.4.1. The preference is still erroneously displayed, but it’s not functional; sorry for the confusion! We’re hoping to have a new version out with hardware transcoding and DVR Soon™.
Maybe clearer if the 1.3 line had continued until 1.4 was ready for primetime [at least with H/W transcoding disabled by default] but such is the fun of software revision control…
Thanks for posting this, I was excited to see 1.4.1 was out and about to update but would have been very disappointed when HW transcode didn’t work!
I agree, they definitely should have waited to release the next minor release until the HW transcode was ready to go out, and released this as a point release in 1.3.x… although I am sure the minor release brings other changes as well… it definitely is confusing to users who care about this sort of thing. I know we may be in the minority but hopefully comments like these will be read and considered for the future. I’m not one to argue with the devs but the hardware transcode engine seems like something of it’s own minor release schema considering it’s magnitude…