Audio Books

Keeping it short

Could we please try to add audiobook support to plex, with the basic functionality that follows, pause, play, remember position, and so on.

This would be awesome.

/plex4life :)

EDIT: 01-05-2015

http://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/34edwx/plex_audiobook_support/

the people have spoken...

+1 for this request - I'd love to see this feature implemented. Bookmarks could also work so that you can resume from where you left off. 

This is a really important feature:

At the moment there's no cloud-based audiobook player for Android and IOS other than Audible which only accepts it's own DRM format files. A plex Audiobook player would enable me to play non-DRM audio books in the same manner as Amazon's audible application.

If this feature were built I expect it would be used a lot more than the photo-sync feature. The Plex photo-sync feature is already somewhat duplicated by cloud-services from DropBox or Google+, but there's really no cross-platform cloud media player that competes with Kindle. There's no cloud based player that handles non-DRM audio well.

It would need to have the following behaviors, I've indicated which I think are the most important.

* IMPORTANT: Understand multi-part MP3s. Unlike music, audiobooks typically come as a series of MP3 or Ogg files, e.g. one file per chapter. Plex would need to understand that these are all sequential parts of a single work and not tracks in an album.

* IMPORTANT: Resume: I tend to listen to a number of audiobooks at a time. I'd like to be able to be able to change between books. Whenever I return to a book I'd like to be able to continue where I left off.

* Bookmarks: The ability to set a bookmark and have it synchronized between all subscribing devices.

* Metadata from Amzon Books, this would include dust-jacket art, publisher's blurb etc.

This is a really important feature:

At the moment there's no cloud-based audiobook player for Android and IOS other than Audible which only accepts it's own DRM format files. A plex Audiobook player would enable me to play non-DRM audio books in the same manner as Amazon's audible application.

If this feature were built I expect it would be used a lot more than the photo-sync feature. The Plex photo-sync feature is already somewhat duplicated by cloud-services from DropBox or Google+, but there's really no cross-platform cloud media player that competes with Kindle. There's no cloud based player that handles non-DRM audio well.

It would need to have the following behaviors, I've indicated which I think are the most important.

* IMPORTANT: Understand multi-part MP3s. Unlike music, audiobooks typically come as a series of MP3 or Ogg files, e.g. one file per chapter. Plex would need to understand that these are all sequential parts of a single work and not tracks in an album.

* IMPORTANT: Resume: I tend to listen to a number of audiobooks at a time. I'd like to be able to be able to change between books. Whenever I return to a book I'd like to be able to continue where I left off.

* Bookmarks: The ability to set a bookmark and have it synchronized between all subscribing devices.

* Metadata from Amzon Books, this would include dust-jacket art, publisher's blurb etc.

Thanks for the input on my post, if this does not get their attention what will ?

Lets make plex the best platform for everything :)

Also 100% agree with all you wrote salimfadhley..

/Plex <3

+1 for this from me too. Even just implementing resume on audio files would be a great change.

there are at least three other threads about this...

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/56331-plexreader-comics-books-pdfs-audiobooks-and-more/?hl=audiobooks

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/57673-remember-position-for-audiobooks/

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/112971-audiobooks/

the oldest more than one and a half year old...

yeah but if people keep posting about this maybe we can can get it implemented. I have tried putting my audiobooks on plex. I just made a music folder and called it Audiobooks. The plex media scanner and last.fm agent did a mixed job at converting my laibrary. Some series like Harry Potter and ASOIAF (Game of Thrones) worked perfectly! But other ones didn't. I realize why it is. My James Patterson Book School's Out Forever got really messed up. It was because of how it was titled so it may just be you need a very carefully named library. Screenshots below

http://imgur.com/gallery/Nems2/new

+1 for Audiobook support.

I've tried converting my m4b files to mp4 but it's a real kludge, we need native support.

Resume: I tend to listen to a number of audiobooks at a time. I'd like to be able to be able to change between books. Whenever I return to a book I'd like to be able to continue where I left off.

Any update on this?

I would like to see this function in Plex

+1 On adding Audio Book management to Plex! I have a large Audio Book Library and Plex would be the PERFECT solution to organizing, managing, and accessing my Audio Books. Being able to download Audio Books to my iPhone, iPad, etc., would be great because it would allow me to listen to Audio Books while flying or out of streaming range (e.g., camping, traveling outside of US, etc.).

I frequently travel with several Audio Books at a time (driving cross country, or other extended travel) and being able to listen to my Audio Books without having to drag along boxes of Audio Book CDs would be awesome.

+1

I'm not too sure how audio books are working in my plex library.  I have a series (The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell) and it finds metadata for a couple of the titles, but the majority of them aren't detected.

I also want to +1 this.  Plex really has the best platform for listening to audio books already if there were just a few tweaks like resume from last position (which movies and TV shows already have), support for multiple audio files for a single title, and the ability to populate metadata.  Imagine being able to pick up any of your devices or computers and just start listening where you left off..... it'd be perfect.

Agree with all the above.  I know of whole communities what are dying for a good audiobook media server.  It seems like a quick win for Plex to use the existing music player and add a bookmark feature found in the video section.  Heck make it a plex pass feature and attract a ton of new customers.  It would be filling a huge gap.  I know that there aren't any good media scanners to gather information for files but we would all be happy with personal media assets scanner.  Also I've written my own media scanner using goodreads the api along with audible.  It's actually pretty easy.

I agree, please officially support Audiobooks with movie like resume functionality.

Also while you at it, we need a dedicated metadata agent (LastFM won't cut it, Amazon maybe? If they do offer Scrapper API) and official naming convention - this would be a good start > http://www.ebsco.com/apps/assets-publishers-materials/EBSCO_Audiobook_Submission_Guidelines.pdf

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-22%2Bat%2B22.38.

PS: Also replied at > https://forums.plex.tv/topic/47888-audiobooks-support-for-a-resume-feature/

Adding my voice to this request. I've migrated all my media to Plex EXCEPT for my audiobooks (m4b) files. I listen to audiobook everyday (commuting) and having them accessible via Plex Pass.

+1

needed

I support the request! It would be so great, if I could manage my Audiobooks with Plex.

+1

+1