Can my plex server handle 4K h265?

openpht

Hi,

I realize there are already a lot of threads going around about HEVC and plex but I am still confused about HEVC and plex and how it applies to my setup.

I recently bought a Qnap TVS-471 as my plex server.

If I understand correctly, plex is still unable to direct play HEVC files at this time (feel free to correct me here).

I also understand that the server needs to transcode the file to the play which puts a lot of strain on the server.

I am saving up for a 4K tv at the moment but I am wondering will my server be able to handle 4K movies to begin with considering this transcoding process?

The movies I want to play are high quality rips of around 65GB and an average video bitrate of 50 mb/s and TrueHD audio of around 5000 kb/s

The TVS-471 is advertized as being able to transcode 4K (which is partly why I chose it) but I am in doubt if this means high quality 4K rips or just 4K rips of around 20GB max?

Thanks alot for any insight!

I think that people are direct playing that file type fairly well through the Nvidia Shield TV. That being said, the passmark on your server just under 5000. While there's no strict guideline for transcoding benchmarks, it's fairly well established that you need a passmark of around 2000 for sufficient transcoding power for a single 1080p x264 (10-12mb/s) file. When you factor in the complexities of x265, I wouldn't be surprised if a passmark of 5000 would struggle, from time to time.

@P21 said:
If I understand correctly, plex is still unable to direct play HEVC files at this time (feel free to correct me here).

Whether Plex needs to transcode or not is all down to the capabilities of the client. You need to choose a decent client that will Direct Play for quality reasons if no other. You really don' want to transcode. There are plenty of clients that can Direct Play HEVC (h.265) files including the Nvidia Shield, Roku Ultra, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, Amazon Fire TV 4K, PMP on various platforms, OpenPHT on various platforms including Odroid C2.