Please, change hashing algorithm used on transcoder path.

This request is simple and would be a huge performance improvement if implemented.

Currently, the transcoder uses some generated paths in the form: https://serveraddress/video/:/transcode/universal/dash/8vojyqvuyorscepl39g1mou9/0/49.m4s
to serve content to clients.

It seems that the string “8vojyqvuyorscepl39g1mou9” is either ramdomly generated, or includes stuff in the hashing algorithm that prevents previous transcode work to be cached for other users/sessions. It seems that this string is per transcode session, I get cache hits from cloudflare if I just rewind the video player (and it already saves me a lot of cpu cycles!), but if I stop the the stream and start again with the same exact transcode parameters, i get cache misses, because the path changed.

So, my suggestion is: Use just stuff that is immutable for generating this hash/string: file name, file hash, transcode parameters, whatever… It’s pointless to transcode same content over and over again for each user/session, when you can simply cache the content, either with a CDN or locally.