Plexamp visualizers: let us know how you use them!

We’d love to better understand how you use visualizers in Plexamp, so please take a moment and let us know below :smiley:

i use them sometimes but they arent responsive enough and because of that arent really compelling

If I’m near my computer (i.e. in my office), I’m doing something - even if it’s not computer related. Music can be in the background but visuals are just a distraction. Obviously that’s a very personal response and won’t be the same for everyone.

Even so, on the off chance I was relaxing on the couch in my office listening to music and wanted visualizers on, there is no fullscreen option.

The visualizers are pretty, and a fun addition to the app, but I primarily use PlexAmp while working at my main computer. So if the app window is visible I prefer it to be a static album cover, and not moving graphics that’ll grab my attention away from work.

@gbooker / @arhoneyc / @Error22 ~ did you guys really not notice the visualizers? Is it the visibility of the VIZ button, or maybe you didn’t find the menubar/tray menu?

Thanks very much for the answers and explanations!

Soundprint is my jam. Perfect for work as it’s not distracting and hides potentially NSFW album art. I really enjoy the theme colours each album gets and the visual representation of each track.

I usually use Plexamp while doing other activities, so it is almost always in the background. If a song comes up that I haven’t heard in a while or is a deep track, I like to look quickly to identify the album the song is from. So, displaying the album artwork is my preference.

@qmf said:
Soundprint is my jam. Perfect for work as it’s not distracting and hides potentially NSFW album art. I really enjoy the theme colours each album gets and the visual representation of each track.

I wish I could try SoundPrint, but Plex Cloud Server hasn’t been updated in a long time (it’s still 1.9 whereas PMS is 1.11), so it doesn’t support SoundPrint, waveform seeking, loudness leveling, or radio stations, or … well, a lot of other cool stuff Plexamp can do. :frowning:

I run plexamp in the background 95% of the time so I never see the visuals.

Running the beta on Ubuntu 17.10 here, I reckon there are maybe 5 working visualisations. They’re very nice, but I imagine I’m only seeing the ones that don’t need HW acceleration?
I’m also missing a statusbar applet.

@wiresJR said:
They’re very nice, but I imagine I’m only seeing the ones that don’t need HW acceleration?

I’m guessing because I’m not sure which ones work, but many do need WebGL support, which might not exist if your video card doesn’t have support?

I’m also missing a statusbar applet.

IIRC you can work around that by setting an environment variable.

I’d love an option to make the visualizers fullscreen.

I use visualizers, I’m a sucker for pretty things. One thing I’d love to see though is an option to randomize the visualizer each song.

I’d love for the ‘Spectrum’ Visualizer to display the album art behind the bars.

They’re quite nice, and I use the soundprint one over the album art, but I’d like the option to turn off art/visualisation totally and just have a small player with just the current status text and the control keys.

I loved the old winamp visualizers, and i love that they come back with plexamp. But i would like to have some of them in Plex at my TV (a bit as in Kodi), i miss some kind of randomness (the visuaization theme should change from time to time) and i really hate the menu at the tray icon only.

@jennix01 said:
i would like to have some of them in Plex at my TV (a bit as in Kodi)

Agreed!

i miss some kind of randomness (the visuaization theme should change from time to time)

Some have suggested switching to a random one every track (with the mode selected), not sure if there are other clever ideas.

and i really hate the menu at the tray icon only.

Me too! We’ll make it a right-click-on-app.

I like the idea, and several of them look great (but I agree that many are way too low sensitivity)…

However, when PlexAmp uses 50-60% CPU just having the simplest one of them enabled (Pulsar Joy, it’s literally just lines scrolling up) that’s way beyond usable. I can’t have my computer heat up by several degrees just to have a tiny window look slightly prettier. It’s ridiculous.

It’s bad enough such a simple audio player uses 20% CPU just doing playback and nothing else.

I’ve tried them out a couple of times, I like visualizers that are in sync with the music. The last one I tried (white wavy lines) was delayed by 100 ms or so.

@TopDog69 ~ it’s not always possible to accurately compute the latency of the audio path; for that reason, you can edit the config.json file and add (the units are milliseconds):

"ui": {
  "vizdelay": 100
}