Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Platform Update for PS4

kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 331Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited July 18 in PlayStation

We have been working on a big platform update for the PS4 for a few months. This brings our app to the most recent version of the SDK made available by Sony for PS4.

We have submitted our update to Sony and are waiting approval so they can be published, I'll update this post with all future updates about the status and when the app is published.

Here are a few things this update should address:

General Stability:

• We are really sorry for the recent increase in the crashes, After this update we expect those crashes would go away or at least reduced drastically.

Brand New Video Player:

• We have switched to using the native PS4 video player, it should be much more stable, less freezes and reduce failure (crash/unable to play etc)
  • More responsive (faster seek, play, pause etc.)
  • Support direct playing of some higher level/bitrate content (eg. H264 4.1)
  • Native support for anamorphic videos
  • Accurate mapping of multi-channel audio

Bonus:
Support for HDMI CEC remote. You can use your TV/Receiver remote to control the PS4, keep in mind your TV or Receiver must also support HDMI CEC.

And many more performance and stability improvement.

Update 2:

update should be available for all users globally.

Update 1:

Platform update for PlayStation 4 should be out for all countries except North and South Americas, we expect the update to roll out globally by Tuesday morning. The update should be version 1.01

Comments

• eric_graueric_grau Posts: 208Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you!!! This is much needed!!!

The latest Headless Ubuntu Server running the latest Plex Pass version. 202TB of storage. Roku, Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10, Android, iPad, PS4, Plex for Kodi.

• jtrobertsjtroberts Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

might be an ignorant question but what about H.265 support of 4k/UHD videos?

@jtroberts said:
    might be an ignorant question but what about H.265 support of 4K/UHD videos?

I know my 2 cents won't matter but I believe that Plex wouldn't be worrying about that for right now. From what I understand, the PS4 doesn't support 4K/UHD video just yet. That's why Sony/Playstation is in the works of making a "PS4.5" that supports 4K/UHD playback. Hopefully that gives you a better understanding.

The latest Headless Ubuntu Server running the latest Plex Pass version. 202TB of storage. Roku, Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10, Android, iPad, PS4, Plex for Kodi.

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 331Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited May 2016

We have had no indications from Sony on upcoming support for UHD/h265.

• gariland123gariland123 Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 2016

will the video have a continsios play feature like roku?

• Sherm1984Sherm1984 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nice, won't have to turn my xbone on now!

• androvskyandrovsky Posts: 38Members ✭✭

This is great news, but will there be any more codec/container support? DTS and mkv support would help a lot, and 3D would be nice.

Still pining for native bitmap subtitle support.

• InanimateCrbnRodInanimateCrbnRod Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Excellent news, I've been having to console my roommates each time it crashes lol. One question, you said you were using the ps4's native media player, but on my ps4 I use plex because the ps4 media player won't play many of my videos, but in plex they appear to play without transcoding. I would really like to avoid transcoding at all costs so can we confirm that native streaming compatibility will only go up and not down? Thank you.

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 331Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@androvsky said:
    This is great news, but will there be any more codec/container support? DTS and mkv support would help a lot, and 3D would be nice.

Still pining for native bitmap subtitle support

Unfortunately Sony hasn't added any new codec/container support, however we tested H264 and noticed we can direct play level 4.1 now, which means a lot more stuff would at least be direct streamable which is a lot less taxing on the CPU,

As for 3D support we don't get that yet, and native subs are something we have to look at after this update is published.

@InanimateCrbnRod said:
    you said you were using the ps4's native media player,

this is different than the video player you have access to, maybe native wasn't a good word choice, think of it as removing a layer of abstraction between us and the player, before we were going through a video element, now we talk to the player directly.

the ps4 media player won't play many of my videos, but in plex they appear to play without transcoding.

I would be curious to know which formats that would be, since what we hear is usually the opposite, where plex won't directplay but the PlayStation player does.

can we confirm that native streaming compatibility will only go up and not down?

based on our testing and Sony's documentation this should be the case and we have no reason to believe otherwise.

edited May 2016

@kay.one will the new video player support continious play like rokus new video player

@kmbarnette said:
    @kay.one will the new video player support continious play like rokus new video player

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean? As far as I know we already do.

For example if you press play on a season it should start playing all episodes.

edited May 2016

@kay.one
    I mean like an option to enable a continuous play button that makes episode play continuously one after another then repeats or have the button repeat a single episode mode like the roku had added in their new video player known as continuous play for example i have a son who has a disability to where he has nightmares if something isn't playing in the background so lent him my roku for this reason so he could fall asleep to the show that very in the video player would be nice to have in this video player that way people who like continuous play can have it on or off or even repeat an episodes over and over . As for rokus new video player its an option in the video player itself not that it has to be there specifically details here.. if ever added but it would be nice to have an option for enabled continuous play in ps4

Heres details its in this top post a little down http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/206569/new-video-player/p1

edited May 2016

Also another note i have series that have over 170+ episode and its inconvenient to start from episode 1 just to have auto play enabled is there going to be a way around this anytime soon?

Quick question. When Sony allows the update, will it change the plex app on playstation from v1.0 to something like v2.0 or will it be an internal plex update and then version number at the bottom right when plex starts changes?

@eric_grau said:
    Quick question. When Sony allows the update, will it change the plex app on playstation from v1.0 to something like v2.0 or will it be an internal plex update and then version number at the bottom right when plex starts changes?

This will be an actual PlayStation store update. The version will be 1.0.1 even though the update is fairly major; Sony has very strict guidelines on version numbers which we had to follow.

• InanimateCrbnRodInanimateCrbnRod Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kay.one said:

the ps4 media player won't play many of my videos, but in plex they appear to play without transcoding.

I would be curious to know which formats that would be, since what we hear is usually the opposite, where plex won't directplay but the PlayStation player does.

I was slightly mistaken, They are not direct play, but they are being direct streamed. I had assumed since there was no loss in video quality or downmixing of 5.1 signals that they were being played directly, but it appears the MKV videos have been being simply remuxed into a new container, without converting any of the streams (If I am understanding that correctly). That being said, all of my videos are H264, 4.1 or lower, with either AAC or AC3 sound. There is a mix of MP4, M4V, and MKV containers, but streams are all roughly the same format. Everything direct plays or direct streams, nothing is fully transcoded when using the plex app. The PS4 media player however, even when using the plex server, will outright refuse to play many of the videos. This isn't a problem since I only use the plex app, and an update is coming out to fix the crashes.

@kay.one said:

@eric_grau said:

This will be an actual PlayStation store update. The version will be 1.0.1 even though the update is fairly major; Sony has very strict guidelines on version numbers which we had to follow.

Great thanks! Looking forward to it!

edited May 2016

@kay.one i take it im not going to be reponded to ?

@kmbarnette said:
    @kay.one i take it im not going to be reponded to ?

Sorry I'm not sure how I missed your follow up to my question, the new player will not let you toggle continue playback while playing an item. However you should still be able to press the play button on a season or show and it should start a playlist that will automatically proceed to the next item.

I hope that answers your question.