If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plexamp - Linux & Tiling Window Managers

fortiterfortiter Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited February 7 in Plex Labs

I am loving Plexamp on Linux (more than I am loving it on macOS, since I can change audio sources manually).

A Plex supported audio player that has working media controls and HiDPI support in Linux

However, I have run into a hiccup: Tiling window managers.

Currently, it seems as Plexamp does not launch its application windows in "floating" mode by default, leading to views like:
tiling view
full album for your viewing pleasure

This view exposes a slew of bugs, however I am aware that your application is not designed to be viewed in that mode so I will not cover them. However, launching this way by default exposes users to a broken experience.

Currently, I am remedying this by manually "floating" the windows, however I do not think that is a long term solution.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• fortiterfortiter Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks! That is a much better short term remedy than what I'm doing.

However, regarding steps Plex should take to address the bug, I am under the impression that there should be a way for the application to declare that it is of the floating type.

Whether the bug's fix is a priority or not is a different story, though.

Got Plexamp floating by default with the following:
    for_window [class="Plexamp"] floating enable
    (note case sensitivity).

If anyone using i3 also wants to maintain the window across workspaces, you can place the following in addition to the command for floating:
    for_window [class="Plexamp"] sticky enable

edited February 10

I think that the classification in Electron is "splash" (at least that's what it's named in BrowserWindow)

Slack and Discord both use Electron, to my knowledge, and their 'loading' screens on application startup are both of that floating type by default in i3, so I know it's possible. It makes sense for the window type in Electron to be named "splash" since that is the classification of those loading window types in their use cases for applications.

Edit:

It looks like I was mistaken about splash being the type, as that is just a 'max size' for the window, and it's platform dependent. Upon a little investigation, it might just be a customized notification window that is a child of a main window that is hidden (which makes sense, since there would have to be another window that is being instantiated for Slack or Discord).

I'm unsure if that's acceptable or not, to have a child window be the main window that is interacted with for an application, but it might be the only way to get that functionality with the current Electron API.

If that is indeed the only way to get that functionality in Electron, that seems like a good place to improve their API.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,779Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the info, will have a look!

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

edited February 10

Just did a little experiment with Electron, and setting type: 'splash' when creating a BrowserWindow does indeed create it as floating. I do not see an equivalent window style for non-linux, but hopefully that helps a little bit.

Edit: just trying it out on macOS, it seems the documentation of the API is correct, and it has no noticeable effect (a good thing). So any logic you have currently, unless you are specifying the window type as something else, should not be affected on non-linux operating systems.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,779Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@fortiter ~ much appreciated, thanks so much!

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.