If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

'The server is not powerful enough to convert video'

3WHITEDOGS3WHITEDOGS Posts: 1Members

I have just bought the DS216play and transferred all data onto new WD Red HDD's. The data includes a large number of mp4 video files, varying between SD, 480,720 and 1080p predominantly AAC. When trying to stream/play video files the large majority (of lower resolution files) do not play. Instead I get the message "The server is not powerful enough to convert video'.

Within Plex settings the Player for Local Quality is set to original. My old WD MyCloud continues to play all of the mp4 files without any problem. Is this an issue with the DS216play or with Plex software for this NAS? Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mickeldaelmansmickeldaelmans Posts: 282Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are you using the same device(s) to watch your media on? Seems like Plex triggers transcoding, and the DS216Play has very limited capabilities on that front. I'm not familiar with your setup, but how did you serve media from your WD Mycloud?

My Plex setup: Synology DS916+ (8GB), RPI3 + Plex for Kodi, Oneplus 3 (Android 7), Chromecast 1st gen & 2nd gen, Samsung UE43KU6500

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 9,757Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Plex on the DS216Play is unable to transcode anything. If you wish to transcode your files you will have to install and use Synology Media Server and Video Station.

Your NAS has a dual core CPU that is not very powerful on it's own, but it also has a Hardware Transcoding Engine that allows it to transcode. Plex however, does NOT utilise the Hardware Transcoding Engine.

In order to use your files with Plex on the NAS, you will need to re-encode them using Video To Video (PC) or Handbrake (Mac) both are free and both do a good job.

The preferred format is MP4 H.264/AAC or AVC/AAC.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • joewagner501joewagner501 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Despite what others are saying, it's Plex that is most likely the problem. Even with the Plex set to play the video without transcoding, it still transcodes everything. I have the same problem and everywhere I look for answers I just read the same lame excuses blaming the various servers/web browsers, etc.

At least for me it's Plex. While monitoring the server, I stream a video through Plex (keep in mind it's set to NOT transcode) and I can see my server CPU jump to 80% usage. Do the same thing but stream directly to my TV using DLNA and the CPU never gets above 5%. In both instances the only difference is Plex. For some reason it ignores the setting to stream the video without transcoding. Makes it pretty useless for home streaming if it can't do something so basic and just send the audio/video data like DLNA does.

Plex is designed to transcode whenever it is required, so if Plex is transcoding it is because it is REQUIRED.

Why is transcoding required you ask, well it is designed to allow you to view video when you otherwise could not.

When viewing your files via DLNA your device (TV etc.) is required to support the video formats you use. If the file you are watching is not supported then you cannot watch it using DLNA full stop.

Transcoding is the process of converting one set of codecs and parameters into another set of codecs and parameters on the fly, or in real time.

That requires an awful lot of processing power and if your NAS does not have the required processing power to do so (most don't), then you are left right where you would be without any transcoding and that is, with a file that will not play.

When you are watching a video via a Plex app on your TV for example, the TV MUST support the file you are playing otherwise Plex would not be able to play the file. That is where transcoding or re-muxing comes into play. Transcoding or re-muxing (changing file containers) allows the file to be played but it does require a lot of CPU processing power as you have observed.

If you want your files to play without transcoding then you will need to re-encode them yourself. Try using Video To Video (PC) or Handbrake (Mac) both are free and both do a good job of re-encoding video.

The preferred format to use is MP4 H.264/AAC or AVC/AAC as this is the most compatible format across the most devices.

As for the Direct Play and Direct Stream options, they exist so that you can force Plex to transcode, turning them on simply allows Plex to use them if at all possible, which in most cases is preferred. Turning them off forces transcoding.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • erbkaisererbkaiser Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2016

I've got a DS215j and also get the message 'The server is not powerful enough to convert video' for some media if I use the Plex client on PS4 -- however if I use the PS4's generic DLNA Media Player App and point it at my Plex library, in many cases the same file does play.

Not always, but this does seem to indicate that Plex isn't always correct in checking if a file is playable or not.

You have to understand that DLNA and a Plex app are two different things. DLNA is a standard for media playback and it lacks a lot things that the Plex app supports, like displaying posters and metadata etc.

DLNA can play any file that your TV/PS4 supports when using the DLNA player on that TV or PS4. If the file you are playing is NOT supported by that TV or PS4 then you cannot make it play using DLNA without re-encoding the file.

If using the Plex app, and you try to play a file that is not supported by your TV/PS4 then it will fail also, but only because your NAS is NOT powerful enough to transcode.

If you were using a DS415+ NAS for example, then the file would be transcoded and would play on your TV/PS4 using the Plex app.

See my other reply above.

Also, if you want to know what video and audio files are supported by the PS4 then refer to your manual or visit the Playstation website.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited February 2016

File through DLNA (Plex Library) - plays
    File through Plex app (Plex library) - fails.

Same file.

And to be clear, I am specifically chosing the Plex Media Server as DLNA source, not the NAS video station.

The problem is not that Plex isn't transcoding -- it's that Plex tries to transcode at all for media where it is necessary as proven by the above.

edited February 2016

Read my reply above!!!

Your NAS CANNOT transcode full stop!!!

So when the file fails to play in the Plex app it is because your NAS cannot transcode. If you re-encode the file it will play. If you had a better NAS it would play.

The DLNA player uses the processor in the PS4 to decode/play the file/s. The Plex app uses the processor in your NAS to play. The Plex app plays the video stream coming from your NAS. The DS215j does NOT have a powerful CPU end of story.

Regards,
    Andy M.

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,858Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited February 2016

@erbkaiser and @joewagner501, as Trumpy says, DLNA player and Plex player are two different programs, with different capabilities. Take windows, for example. Some video players support HEVC codec, others do not not. It's similar in the PS4 and SmartTV's, some players support some codecs, others don't.

As said many times and this forum, Plex cannot use open source codecs without paying royalties: As a consequence, Plex players usually support less codecs than other tools, therefore transcoding is triggered more often.

When one has a slow machine he/she has to pay special atention to the codecs used in his/her library in order to assure that it is compatible with the Plex clients used. When you have a home theater system you have to consider this too. You have to establish your own "standard", and when you step into files that do not adhere to that standard you have to use tools such as Handbrake to convert the media.

Each case is a case, and evaluating several media servers is highly advisable. There are people that prefer Kodi, others Plex, Synology, Emby, iTunes, etc. and there are many many other options available.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0387 (beta2) + PMS 1.9.7.4460 (plex pass) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP on Win10

No support via PM unless requested by me

• SkarSkar Posts: 219Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Find a container format, with a video and audio codec that best supports the hardware you are trying to play. Then transcode your content to that format. Personally I find that an MKV container, with x264 video codec with AC3/DTS works well. However other people swear by MP4.

Playing an x265 codec video stream on pretty much any device which doesn't have hardware support, or a pretty decent processor will cause playback issues.

You are aiming for your Plex Server to be Direct Playing the content, which basically means it is just serving the files from the synology for your playback device to handle (Trancode) (TV, Andriod Device etc). Look at the On Deck function with plex server, and then the info, it will tell you if your synology is having to transcode.

If you want the hardware transcoding of your 216play to be used, then use VideoStation which comes with your Synology. Since that uses the hardware transcoding.

It does get easier once your get a better understanding of how things fit together.

Also when you are doing the testing make sure that you are using a LAN connection, so you can rule out any WIFI issues.

Good luck.

1 HPTC (WMC & MyMovies)
    1 Samsung UE22ES5400 (Plex Client), 1 Samsung UE40F7000 (Plex Client), 1 Samsung UE43KS7500
    Plexserver running on Synology DS918+, DS2413+ and DS411+.

Thanks for the feedback, I understand now.
    I've started converting the media Plex can't play to formats that it can ☺

• KanmanduKanmandu Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a DS216Play with Plex (0.9.15.0.1621) and I don't have any problems to transcode video and see in my ipad2 anyone movie (avi or mkv until 1080p). But if I install the new version of Plex Media Server don´t work.

edited February 2016

Using Plex with the DS216Play means you cannot transcode anything. You will need to make sure that the files you are watching via Plex can actually be played on the device you are using.

If not, then you will need to re-encode those files. I recommend Video To Video (PC) or Handbrake (Mac) both are free and both do a good job.

Also, you should update Plex to 0.9.15.3.

Regards,
    Andy M.

Sorry, but with the version of Plex Media Server 0.9.15.0.1621 my DS216Play transcode.

I can watch AVI movies with Plex iOS app on an iPad, which would be impossible without transcode. Moreover, the CPU of my NAS is set to 99% symptom that is transcoding.

But if I upgrade to version 0.9.15.2 or 0.9.15.3 (I tested with both) ceases to transcode, the iOS app iPad does not work with AVI movies and the NAS CPU does not do anything.

I am looking forward to update the version but even that does not work, I will not be updated.

edited February 2016

Your NAS is NOT able to transcode when using Plex and that is because it only has a Dual Core CPU. Transcoding requires using the Hardware Transcoding Engine which is Quad Core and Plex does NOT support that.

What you thought was transcoding is more than likely re-muxing which is a container change. Xvid/DivX is MPEG4 video so it could easily be re-muxed to an MP4 container which would play on your iPad.

I don't know why that would stop after updating PMS. Check your settings in PMS something may have changed there.

What audio codecs are your files using?

Regards,
    Andy M.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0387 (beta2) + PMS 1.9.7.4460 (plex pass) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

I'm sure both of you are right and I would not argue about terminology.

The fact is that in my DS216Play with plex 0.9.15.0, I can play movies AVI (MPEG4 Video Codec, Bitrate 723 kbps Audio Codec MP3 Bitrate 128 kbps) on an iPad 2. And if I upgrade to version 0.9.15.2 or 0.9.15.3 don't work.

The only thing I can tell you is to check the settings in PMS and on your iPad after you update PMS.

The alternative would be to re-encode your video files using Video To Video (PC) or Handbrake (Mac) both are free and both do a good job.

Regards,
    Andy M.

edited February 2016

PMS 0.9.15.1 had some changes for iOS devices. 0.9.15.2 and 0.9.15.3 include these changes.

As Trumpy suggests, please review your iOS settings, probably something needs to be changed, otherwise the change in PMS may have "revived" an old error (where iOS forced PMS to transcode when not needed).

Please refer also to the iOS forum, maybe you could find some answer there.

• FlowinBeatzFlowinBeatz Posts: 13Members Plex Pass

@trumpy81 said:
    Your NAS is NOT able to transcode when using Plex and that is because it only has a Dual Core CPU. Transcoding requires using the Hardware Transcoding Engine which is Quad Core and Plex does NOT support that.

So basically my NAS IS ABLE to transcode media files. Synology advertises with the ability to convert 4K material on the fly. So the correct answer would be that Plex just don't cares about using the build in transcoding chip (that I extra paid for when I bought the 216play instead of a 216j etc.).

I mean when the built in Video Channel is able to transcode, why isn't Plex?

It's such a big disappointment. I'm so glad that I didn't bought the Plex Pass Lifetime Membership when I first installed it.