Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexConnect on synology

bwynantsbwynants Posts: 428Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

2016-04-12: 0.5-17 DSM 6.0 Support and PlexConnect synced up till https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/commit/378658d854dc766d786cbb89469c1cec39e8f06a

Synology installer package for PlexConnect.

Prerequisites

• Official Python from Synology (can co-exist with SynoCommunity Python)
    • to update a pre 0.3-12 spk leave synocommunity Python on the NAS but also install the Synology Python, after the update SynoCommunity Python can be removed if no other package is using it)

Installation Instructions:

• on the NAS
    • Make sure your NAS has a fixed IP Address
    • Disable HTTPS connection for web services ('Web Services' control pannel - 'HTTP Service' tab)
    • Install PMS
    • for DSM 5.1 lower the 'Thrust Level' in the package manager settings to 'Any publisher'
    • Add http://www.brigittehelsen.be/plexconnect/ to your Synology NAS Package Center sources (*)
    • Install PlexConnect
      • Choose if the internal DNS needs to be enabled by PlexConnect
      • Choose the AppleTV app that needs to show Plex
    • Start the package if it was not yet started
  • On the AppleTV

(*) Add http://www.brigittehelsen.be/plexconnect/ to your Synology NAS Package Center sources and the PlexConnect package will appear in the list of packages. See 'Install third-party applications' on http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/tutorials/500 for more info. Enable 'beta' in the settings to receive beta versions!

Allow different apps based on code provided by Alexander A. Protasov.

Installing PMS on the NAS

First you need to check here if your NAS supports transcoding or not. If it does not support transcoding (which is often the case), you need to take the following actions:

• Convert all your media to an ATV supported format (check here for supported video / audio / photo formats). There are several tools that can be used for that, such as iTunes (for music), or Handbrake / iFlicks / MkvToMp4 (for video)
  • Check /usr/local/plexconnect/share/PlexConnect/ATVSettings.cfg (or in the ATV, in PlexConnect settings menu) that
  • transcoderaction=DirectPlay
  • subtitlerenderer=iOS, PMS

Failure to do so will originate error messages (in the ATV) such as An error occurred loading this content (try again later).

The vast majority of the TV channels available as Plug-ins to PMS (standard and/or unsupported) require transcoding, and will not work when PMS is installed in a NAS that does not supports transcoding.

For up-to-date info about PMS on Synology:https://forums.plex.tv/forum/133-synology/

Troubleshooting

Trailers unavailable msg:

a few possible causes:

• reboot the NAS 

• You created your own certificates for the profile on the AppleTV but you did not place those on the NAS (see advanced part) All generated certificates are unique and whatever is on the AppleTV must match with what is on the NAS. 

• Make sure Port 80, 81,443 and 53 are allowed by the Synology Firewall 

• On a computer, set the DNS Server to the IP of the NAS
    surf to http://trailers.apple.com:80
    surf to  http://trailers.apple.com:81
    surf to  http://trailers.apple.com:443
    surf to  http://trailers.apple.com:444

all of them should return the same error "Message: Not Serving Client'  

Advanced Part

Installing Custom Certificates

The installer creates unique certificates for chosen app. Certificates are unique ever time they are generated. You can not register your own generated certificates on the ATV and then use the generated certificates from the installer. AppleTV and every instance PlexConnect have to use the same certificates!

Follow these instruction to install your own certificates (this step is NOT needed now that the installer generates unique certificates):

• Generate certificates as described here (Mac or Windows)
  • Move the generated certificates in /usr/local/plexconnect/etc/certificates on the NAS replacing the existing files
    this assumes certificates in your 'home' folder. This example uses the certificates for the 'Trailers' app. When you have chosen 'WSJ Live' the you need 'marketwatch' and not 'trailers' in the filename.
    • open terminal on mac (or use PuTTY on windows)
    • ssh root@<ip of nas>
    • chmod -R go+w /usr/local/plexconnect/etc/certificates
    • exit
    • scp ~/trailers.cer admin@<ip of nas>:/usr/local/plexconnect/etc/certificates/trailers.cer
    • scp ~/trailers.key admin@<ip of nas>:/usr/local/plexconnect/etc/certificates/trailers.key
    • scp ~/trailers.pem admin@<ip of nas>:/usr/local/plexconnect/etc/certificates/trailers.pem
    • make ssh connection to nas
    • chmod -R go-w /usr/local/plexconnect/etc/certificates
    • exit
  • Upload the profile based on your certificates to the AppleTV as described above

Note: upon updating the installation (installing a new version without removing the old) your certificates are restored and these steps do not have to be repeated!

Using the Synology DNS Server package to capture trailers.apple.com (instructions by http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/user/136264-abmaonline/)

When you are already using the Synology DNS Server package, the PlexConnect DNS proxy will not work, since they both want to use the same port on your Synology.

If your not using the DNS Server, stopping and uninstalling it, is the easiest solution.
When you are using the DNS Server, adding trailers.apple.com and redirecting it to PlexConnect also solves the problem. Follow these steps to use this setup:

• Connect to Synology DSM web interface
  • Open the DNS Server Settings from the DSM 'Start' button
    1.png
  • Goto Zones and select Create > Master Zone
  • Enter this info and click OK:
    Domain Type: Forward Zone
    Domain name: trailers.apple.com
    Master DNS Server: *IP of your Synology*
    2.png
  • Select the new trailers.apple.com row and click Edit > Resource record (or double click the row for the same effect)
  • Create > A Type
  • Enter this info and click OK:
    Name: *leave empty*
    TTL: *use default, probably 86400*
    IP address:*IP of your Synology*
    3.png
  • Click Finish
    4.png
  • Do the same steps [3-8] again but this time with "atv.plexconnect"
  • Goto Log and check if there are no errors
    5.png

The DNS should be working now, time to disable the PlexConnect DNS and get everything connected.
  • Stop PlexConnect from package center if it is running
  • Login as root on your Synology using SSH (password for root is the same for admin on webinterface)
  • If you did not disable the Internal DNS server then Edit /usr/local/plexconnect/share/PlexConnect/Settings.cfg and set enable_dnsserver = False
  • Start PlexConnect again

If your apple tv uses the Synonoly as its DNS Server everything should work now.

As a quick check try to access http://trailers.apple.com/ from your browser. It should show something about a 403: "Error code explanation: 403 = Request forbidden -- authorization will not help."

Most browsers use DNS caching, so it may take some time before you see the change if you accessed trailers before changing the dns server, testing with your apple tv works best.

Update for latest version in git

For those wanting to use the package and always have the latest version from git at the same time:

• Make ssh connection with root privileges to NAS
  • Get git on your synology (using ipkg or spk; when using the spk package the git client can be found at /usr/local/git/bin/git, use this in step 6 and when pulling updates)
  • Stop PlexConnect on Synology from package manager in DSM
  • Navigate to package folder (if you can't find the 'share' folder, update to the latest package in the start post)
    cd /usr/local/plexconnect/share/
  • Move current files to backup location
    mv PlexConnect/ PlexConnect-org/
  • Clone PlexConnect repo
  • git clone https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect.git
  • Copy config files from original folder to new checkout
    cp PlexConnect-org/*.cfg PlexConnect/
  • Change owner rights
    chown -R plexconnect:root PlexConnect/
  • Start PlexConnect again from DSM (using command line kills the service when you logout)
  • Check if everything still works.

Now to update your code:

• cd /usr/local/plexconnect/share/PlexConnect/
  • git pull

​Starting from installer 0.3-9 this will be remembered when installing an updated version

Check if any changes were made; if so: stop and start PlexConnect from DSM package manager to pick them up

1.png 21.4K
3.png 74.7K
4.png 23.3K
5.png 38.3K

Best Answer

• bwynantsbwynants Posts: 428Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2014 Answer ✓

Before asking a question, please make sure you have read the 'troubleshooting' part of the first post!

Answers

• mmassemmasse Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2013

Yay, thanks, it starts :-).  (I for the life of me could not get the other package to start, need more verbose logs for synology packages :-) )

Will test with ATV when I get home

(FYI, the dropbox link downloaded for me as a spk.txt file, but renaming back to spk worked)

I also tried modifying it slightly to run on a port above 1024 and run it as a non root user, could not get it to start so reverted back.

• incredibulkincredibulk Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sir, you are my hero.  This made the process of getting PlexConnect up and running literally painless.

Plex and PlexConnect on a synology box, with the help of your installer, just became without a doubt the single best way to run a home media setup there is.

Amazing.

• Maarten+CHMaarten+CH Posts: 2Members
    edited June 2013

This is great!

Do I still have to install Python before I install your spk?

And could someone please explain how to change the IP setting on a Mac? I tried the command "vi /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg" in the Terminal but got lost there...

Thanks a lot!

• Sam01Sam01 Posts: 6Members
    Maarten+CH wrote on June 25 2013, 7:27 PM: »

This is great!

And could some please explain how to change the IP setting on a Mac? I tried the command "vi /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg" in the Terminal but got lost there...

Thanks a lot!

So I'm doing it.

R override text from the cursor position when finished simply ESC
    : w Save File
    : q quit vi

Here is a list, albeit in German
    edited June 2013

And could someone please explain how to change the IP setting on a Mac? I tried the command "vi /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg" in the Terminal but got lost there...

you need to log in via ssh to your synology box. then type vi /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg goto the position in the file where the IP is with the cursor keys, type i (insert) type the new ip, delete the old ip, to finish editing by pressing escape and then type :wq

• AbmaonlineAbmaonline Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, you need the python package from SynoCommunity: http://www.synocommunity.com/faq#addSource

(The python package from Synology itself doesn't work with the PlexConnect package at the moment)

• Luxury4everLuxury4ever Posts: 3Members

Bro Bwynants, I SALUTE You !!!

Its awesome, running great on my DS411slim !!!

May I check is there a way to have the subtitle (srt file) appear?

• Maarten+CHMaarten+CH Posts: 2Members

Thanks a lot guys!

It works great on the DS713+

• RobertSmithRobertSmith Posts: 420Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2013
    bwynants wrote on June 25 2013, 9:12 AM: »

log on as root and edit /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg to change ip settings from PMS or the DNS

vi /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg

Not sure i understand this step.

During the install process of the spk I entered the ip xx.xxx.xxx.xxx from ATV => ip_dnsmaster

Then I change ip_dnsmater to the same as ip_pms (I have also change DNS in ATV to this IP)

This is my settings.cfg
    => Error No response from Plex Media Server
    Sk%C3%A4rmavbild%202013-06-26%20kl.%2009

edited June 2013
    RobertSmith wrote on June 26 2013, 7:54 AM: »

This is my settings.cfg
    => Error No response from Plex Media Server
    Sk%C3%A4rmavbild%202013-06-26%20kl.%2009

ip_pms must be the ip adres from the computer where the Plex Media Server is running
    ip_dnsmaster must be your provider's DNS but 8.8.8.8 will also work...
    edited June 2013
    bwynants wrote on June 26 2013, 8:13 AM: »

ip_pms must be the ip adres from the computer where the Plex Media Server is running
    ip_dnsmaster must be your provider's DNS but 8.8.8.8 will also work...

OK, I take ip_dnsmaster from ATV, (entered during installation of spk)

OK, ip_pms is the adress for my synology

Settings after installation (before edit)

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild%202013-06-26%20kl.%2010

What do I need to change in the settings after installation?

"log on as root and edit /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg to change ip settings from PMS or the DNS"

Should I manually change DNS in ATV to 192.168.0.11 ?

• timeskilssontimeskilsson Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass

Im sorry guys, this is still a bit foggy for me.. :)
    Isn't there anyone that could make a idiots manual for this now when there seems to be a better working solution for it.
    Would been greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys, have a good one!

Tim Eskilsson wrote on June 26 2013, 8:31 AM: »

Im sorry guys, this is still a bit foggy for me.. :)
    Isn't there anyone that could make a idiots manual for this now when there seems to be a better working solution for it.
    Would been greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys, have a good one!

what happens if you just install the package. if PMS is running on your NAS it should work out of the box now?

edited June 2013
    bwynants wrote on June 26 2013, 8:42 AM: »

what happens if you just install the package. if PMS is running on your NAS it should work out of the box now?

No problem to install and yes PMS is running on my synology.

2 Questions

1) What do I need to change in the settings after installation, se above post

"log on as root and edit /usr/local/plexconnect/Settings.cfg to change ip settings from PMS or the DNS"

2) Should I manually change DNS in ATV to 192.168.0.11? (adress to synology)

• timeskilssontimeskilsson Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass
    bwynants wrote on June 26 2013, 8:42 AM: »

That it would work straight out of the box sounds to good to be true..:) and you know what they say.. if it sounds too good it probably is too.. ;)

When i start the package installation on my Synology it asks me to enter the details for PlexConnect.
    DNS server (the one you noted down from the ATV before you changed it)

That makes all of a sudden two of us asking the last question from RobertSmith:

RobertSmith wrote on June 26 2013, 8:46 AM: »

2 Questions

RobertSmith wrote on June 26 2013, 8:46 AM: »

2 Questions

1) then upon install just use 8.8.8.8 or your providers DNS IP and there should be no other change needed on the synology  box (you can uninstall/reinstall to fix the DNS)

2) Yes off course !

edited June 2013
    Tim Eskilsson wrote on June 26 2013, 8:53 AM: »

That it would work straight out of the box sounds to good to be true.. :) and you know what they say.. if it sounds too good it probably is too.. ;)

When i start the package installation on my Synology it asks me to enter the details for PlexConnect.
    DNS server (the one you noted down from the ATV before you changed it)

That makes all of a sudden two of us asking the last question from RobertSmith:

most simple way of installing:

• PMS on NAS
    • install Package and enter 8.8.8.8 in the wizard
    • goto ATV and set the DNS server to the IP address of the NAS

fixed the first post to reflect that....

• f00b4rf00b4r Posts: 2,914Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The formatting on the first post is a bit messed up for some reason :(

edited June 2013
    bwynants wrote on June 26 2013, 10:02 AM: »

1) then upon install just use 8.8.8.8 or your providers DNS IP and there should be no other change needed on the synology  box (you can uninstall/reinstall to fix the DNS)

2) Yes off course !

I still have the same problem. I can see the heading (Library, Channels, Search and Settings) But i have this message:

PlexConnect

No response from Plex Media Server

Steps I have done:

• Installed the spk (with 8.8.8.8)
    • changed DNS on ATV to 192.168.0.11
    • open port 81 in firewall and router   not needed
    • Synology DNS Server package is not installed/running

My settings:

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild%202013-06-26%20kl.%2012

What is missing?

edited June 2013
    RobertSmith wrote on June 26 2013, 11:06 AM: »

My settings:

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild%202013-06-26%20kl.%2012

What is missing?

If you can see the library it means PlexConnect is running correct.

Now this is out of my hands as I only created the installer....

follow here? http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/70205-everything-works-except-video-playback/