4K support

xbox-one

Simple question for Plex devs.

Do you, with all honesty, expect to get a 4K x265 mkv with dts/ma or Atmos to play on an Xbox one x. Not ‘in the future’ or ‘on the roadmap’ but yes or no to in the next few weeks.

Everyone is being so polite and patient but I assure you there are a lot of very cheesed off customers. Or maybe you don’t care about that, after all you’ve got their money, why try?

Do you, with all honesty, expect to get a 4K x265 mkv with dts/ma or Atmos to play on an Xbox one x.
The xbox one cannot natively decode DTS/MA or Atmos in the media framework. That means the closest Plex will be able to provide is passthrough which will have the follow on device (TV or receiver) decode the audio. There are two main exceptions to this: Dolby Access and (e)AC3 audio with Atmos spatial streams. Dolby Access is the additional software that is able to render a Dolby Spatial stream from the current audio out to your reciever or TV. AC3 audio with atmos spatial stream is rarer to see as most people wanting Atmos arn’t looking for the lossy encoded version of the audio.

Not ‘in the future’ or ‘on the roadmap’ but yes or no to in the next few weeks.
Plex does not release timeline’s for future features or in development features so all you will get is it is a feature being looked into. (Ninja’s arn’t allowed to comment on in-work features/bug fixes without the Plex Team’s okay).

The audio would be passed through to a receiver in my case, should have made that clear. However until the server stops trying to transcode every 4K file I try and play the audio side is academic.

I don’t require a timeline just a yes or no to is it going to be fixed.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

@reggieward said:
The audio would be passed through to a receiver in my case, should have made that clear. However until the server stops trying to transcode every 4K file I try and play the audio side is academic.
At this point it should only being trying to transcode the audio which should be trivial for even the slower NAS based servers. If that isn’t the case we would need more information. (This was the first step in getting 4K HEVC working before moving on)

I don’t require a timeline just a yes or no to is it going to be fixed.
Audio Passthrough and HDR are both things the team is investigating and working on. The order the fixes come in or how long it takes to get going are not something I get information about, just that they are two known features that are highly wanted.

Server is a fairly high powered Xeon machine with a hyperv instance dedicated to Plex. It can nearly transcode the video on the fly but not quite. I will investigate further if a recent update means it shouldn’t be trying to do video at all. The last I read was that any type of subs or non DD audio track forces a full transcode even when only audio was required.

Are you saying 4K x265 with dts/ma 7.1 or DD should play without video video transcode with current software?

However I’m buying a Roku or a shield as it seems the Xbox 4K customer base is insufficient to warrant much development time being dedicated to it.

Thanks again for you answers.

@reggieward said:
The last I read was that any type of subs or non DD audio track forces a full transcode even when only audio was required.

Are you saying 4K x265 with dts/ma 7.1 or DD should play without video video transcode with current software?
The only times 4K video with HEVC should be transcoding are:

1. Image based subtitles (These will force a transcode on most clients as they typically are not accepted as side car subtitles)
    2)Direct Play And Direct Stream are disabled
  2. Bandwidth limitation that the video is over
  3. The HEVC video is above the devices reported limit. (IE a HEVC 5.1 on a 5.0 device that only supports)

In all other instances the file should either be direct playing or direct streaming the video with the audio conversion. I believe this was addressed in server version 1.10+ and there was a problem with older versions that were still falsely flagging the video for transcode as well.

Got it partially working but no HDR is a deal breaker and fed up waiting. Roku Stick+ arrived this morning. Plugged in and everything just works. No stutter, no ■■■■■■ colours, just perfect 24hz 4k HDR with 7.1 audio passthrough goodness.

My advice is stick to xbox for gaming and get a stick+ for plex.

Related to 4k support, shouldn’t the Plex app transcode down to 1080p when the console version used can’t handle 4k? I’m using the Xbox One original and rather than Plex transcoding down to 1080p it just plays back at 4k. On the android app though it transcodes down to 1080p. It prefer it transcode down to 1080p so I don’t have to keep multiple versions of the same movie.

@mbarylski said:
Related to 4k support, shouldn’t the Plex app transcode down to 1080p when the console version used can’t handle 4k? I’m using the Xbox One original and rather than Plex transcoding down to 1080p it just plays back at 4k.

Hidden feature of the Xbox Ones. All versions support decoding 4K material, but the original will only output up to 1080p. So in all 3 versions the decoding is supported on the device and does not need to transcode. If something weird is happening let us know but when that situtation occurs the Xbox should be taking in the 4K stream converting the output down to 1080p automatically. It is one of the few instances I know of where you can send 4K directly to a device to decode and output a different resolution.

The only exception I am currently aware of is when the stream needs to be remuxed (Such as unsupported audio) the original cannot handle that stream and will force a transcode down to 1080p for the container switch.

@jmckee Well, that’s a really nice feature. I’m not sure if something weird is happening or not, but it might be. When I check the details (via Xbox One menu button) of the video it says that it’s outputting a 4k video. Shouldn’t it say it’s outputting a 1080p video? The other possible weird thing is that the quality is terrible (crushed colors) whether it’s a 4k with HDR or without HDR. I thought the crushed colors was just an issue with a video with HDR not a non-HDR 4k video.

@mbarylski said:
@jmckee Well, that’s a really nice feature. I’m not sure if something weird is happening or not, but it might be. When I check the details (via Xbox One menu button) of the video it says that it’s outputting a 4k video. Shouldn’t it say it’s outputting a 1080p video?
If it’s the Plex output it most likely is just reporting the resolution the server is sending and not what the client is outputting. If it is the xbox itself that would be really strange as the last information I was given was the HDMI output of the first version couldn’t even switch to 4K mode.

The other possible weird thing is that the quality is terrible (crushed colors) whether it’s a 4k with HDR or without HDR. I thought the crushed colors was just an issue with a video with HDR not a non-HDR 4k video.
It’s possible that might be an unintended consequence of letting the Xbox handle the resolution change. (I personally never plugged in my older Xbox to try it, but I’ll pass it on to verify if that seems to be the case.

@jmckee said:

@mbarylski said:
@jmckee Well, that’s a really nice feature. I’m not sure if something weird is happening or not, but it might be. When I check the details (via Xbox One menu button) of the video it says that it’s outputting a 4k video. Shouldn’t it say it’s outputting a 1080p video?
If it’s the Plex output it most likely is just reporting the resolution the server is sending and not what the client is outputting. If it is the xbox itself that would be really strange as the last information I was given was the HDMI output of the first version couldn’t even switch to 4K mode.

Yes, it’s just what the Plex server is sending out from what I can tell, since the only status screen I’m aware of is in Plex. I’m not even sure how to find out what exactly the Xbox is sending out.

The other possible weird thing is that the quality is terrible (crushed colors) whether it’s a 4k with HDR or without HDR. I thought the crushed colors was just an issue with a video with HDR not a non-HDR 4k video.
It’s possible that might be an unintended consequence of letting the Xbox handle the resolution change. (I personally never plugged in my older Xbox to try it, but I’ll pass it on to verify if that seems to be the case.

Ok, thanks. Isn’t everyone else on Xbox One S/X getting crushed colors too? I thought that was a known issue at least with HDR. I’m thinking it’s the same issue. Either way, it would definitely be nice if Plex could properly handle all 4k (HDR and non-HDR) on any of the Xbox consoles and transcode down to 1080p without affecting quality. Is that the plan? To provide the same capability in all the Xbox consoles?

@mbarylski said:
Ok, thanks. Isn’t everyone else on Xbox One S/X getting crushed colors too? I thought that was a known issue at least with HDR. I’m thinking it’s the same issue. Either way, it would definitely be nice if Plex could properly handle all 4k (HDR and non-HDR) on any of the Xbox consoles and transcode down to 1080p without affecting quality.
The crushed colors for the S/X versions should only be affecting HDR videos. What happens is the Xbox isn’t properly detecting and switching into HDR mode so instead of the extra 4k+ shades per color it gets restricted down to 256ish per color. While it seems excessive, it would be like trying to paint a 10,000 color painting but only have 12 paint colors available.

For the original version, if the videos are only HDR videos then it might be the same issue, but I thought it was happening on all 4K videos which would point to a bigger issue during the downconvert process.

Is that the plan? To provide the same capability in all the Xbox consoles?

The plan is always to get things working with the least amount of exceptions. IE if the client can decode something, let it) Ive seen this have a few different problems over the years when devices go to downmux something themselves and do a worse job then if the server did it before sending.

@jmckee said:

@mbarylski said:
Related to 4k support, shouldn’t the Plex app transcode down to 1080p when the console version used can’t handle 4k? I’m using the Xbox One original and rather than Plex transcoding down to 1080p it just plays back at 4k.

Hidden feature of the Xbox Ones. All versions support decoding 4K material, but the original will only output up to 1080p. So in all 3 versions the decoding is supported on the device and does not need to transcode. If something weird is happening let us know but when that situtation occurs the Xbox should be taking in the 4K stream converting the output down to 1080p automatically. It is one of the few instances I know of where you can send 4K directly to a device to decode and output a different resolution.

The only exception I am currently aware of is when the stream needs to be remuxed (Such as unsupported audio) the original cannot handle that stream and will force a transcode down to 1080p for the container switch.

That’s a cool feature, but if plex has a 4k version and a 1080p optimized version, I’d want the optimized version to not waste bandwidth for no reason. Without getting into settings hell, this needs to be an option.

I am actually getting impatient waiting for audio pass-through and HDR. I don’t have unlimited funds to go buy a new device though so right now I simply don’t use PLEX.

@jmckee I see HDR is here, but it still doesn’t display correctly on a 1080p TV. Colors are still crushed. Is it supposed to work in this version, or are they still working on the 1080p display?

@mbarylski said:
@jmckee I see HDR is here, but it still doesn’t display correctly on a 1080p TV. Colors are still crushed. Is it supposed to work in this version, or are they still working on the 1080p display?

I wouldn’t expect it to work on non HDR. There is a topic in the plex pass forum about hdr to sdr tone mapping

@elitemike said:

@mbarylski said:

I wouldn’t expect it to work on non HDR. There is a topic in the plex pass forum about hdr to sdr tone mapping

Thanks for the tip. I’ve now bookmarked all the HDR to SDR threads. :smile:

One question though. I do have one 4k video that is just 4k, no HDR. That doesn’t play back right either. Is non-HDR videos still an issue too?