Alexa + Plex Skill + OpenPHT

openpht

I know Plex Skill for Amazon Alexa just got released so there is bound to be problems. However, when setting up the Plex Skill through Amazon Alexa for the first time it searches for the Plex server and an advertised player. It locates the server just fine. However, how can I tell OpenPHT to advertise as a player like I can with my Plex app on my Android phone? If I advertise my Plex app on my android phone there is first a setting in the Plex app to do so which seems to be absent from OpenPHT. Then when I ask Alexa to search it finds it and I can play movies on it using Alexa no problem. But cannot do so when I cannot tell OpenPHT to advertise as a player. So, how do I tell OpenPHT to advertise as a player so that the Plex Skill through Alexa will work? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes please! This would be ace!

+1

I use OpenPHT over PMP and really dont want to go back to PMP but the Alexa skill is tempting me. This would be amazing to have in OpenPHT .

I will probably still stick with my OpenPHT setup for now regardless but it would a great option to have.

there is 3 different settings in OpenPHT currently, in System, Services, none of these make any difference?

Allow remote control via HTTP
Allow control of PHT from Plex Clients
Allow control of PHT via uPnP

@daniel.cull said:
there is 3 different settings in OpenPHT currently, in System, Services, none of these make any difference?

Allow remote control via HTTP
Allow control of PHT from Plex Clients
Allow control of PHT via uPnP

All those settings are checked in my OpenPHT but Alexa doesn’t discover it. But it discovers my android just fine but the setting I have to toggle is “advertise as player” to make it work which seems to be absent in OpenPHT.

I am having the same issue. I love OpenPHT, but just can’t get Alexa to recognise it as a player. PMP works fine.

It would be great if Alexa support could be added

Would love to see this implemented.

I would also love to see this implemented as PMP is barely usable.

Having the same issue and I’ve been using PMP since 2008 and just found out via the forum it’s no longer supported! Are there any other Alexa friendly alternatives plex apps for Mac mini home theatre set ups? Either way the open PHT option sounds promising if that can be enhanced to work with Alexa

Most of my users are fully disabled people, for whom I’ve setup home automation with Alexa interfaces. So this is on my list of things I’d really like in the OpenPHT client. We’re looking into how difficult it will be to resolve. We have higher priority bugfix work at the moment, but I’m hopeful.

@benjaminwolf said:
Most of my users are fully disabled people, for whom I’ve setup home automation with Alexa interfaces. So this is on my list of things I’d really like in the OpenPHT client. We’re looking into how difficult it will be to resolve. We have higher priority bugfix work at the moment, but I’m hopeful.

Great - thank you - much appreciated and fingers crossed!

+1. I have same issues. Hope this can be added because I love PHT.

+1 - Would love this!

from the dev:

Support for Alexa is scheduled for next RasPlex/OpenPHT release, I have already made a small successful test and was able to receive the control commands from Alexa inside OpenPHT.

hey daniel.cull what will be the version that the changes with be available in? or will you not know until its actually in completed?

why are you worried about version numbers? :slight_smile: wait for the next release, it will either be in it, or it wont be in it.

cause i dont update to every lease unless it fixes or adds something i want

that is the wrong policy to be using with openpht/rasplex.

lol
i know i know…

Alexa is in the 1.8.0 release out today