Anime on plex

Hello. Any anime I try to watch on Plex goes straight to transcode. Doesn’t matter if I use the app on desktop, mobile, web or TV. I can watch it, however, normally using VLC and DLNA.

xml.zip (2.6 KB)

I would just like to know if I can find a way around optimizing every episode of anime I have.

Did you use Subtitles?

Are these anime encoded with AVC/H.264 in 10 bit color depth? Most apps are incompatible with that combination.

Option 1 - Use a player that can direct play w/subtitles. Also make sure the options aren’t causing transcoding.
Option 2 - Transcode the content into a supported video / audio / subtitle / container.
Option 3 - Live with it.

My anime collection is 450+ and primarily use an iPad / Apple TV 4K and plex Windows mpv app. Only time I run into issues is with mkv segments. Looking at tautulli I’ve transcoded 8 times in the last 3 month, all remote plays.

ASS subtitles are very difficult. Only very few players support them without triggering a transcode.
A certain impact has also the HEVC video codec. When the server has to burn-in the subtitles because your device doesn’t support them, this results in a full transcode of the video on the server machine.

On Windows or Mac you can use Plex for Windows/Mac as a Player software. On all other platforms it may just not work without transcoding on the server. So you need to beef-up the server with plenty of CPU power.

I also have some episodes h.264 8bit, but those dont work either. Tried paying the video without subs, but that doesnt work either. It looks like plex wants to transcode anything that is HEVC. It might be the subs…

Would you tell me what format your anime is, since everything i have is mkv

Your issue is not the MKV container format.
It is the HEVC video codec and most importantly the ASS-format subtitles.

A copy of the transcode log would help determine what is causing it. I was watching 10bit h264 an hour ago direct player on Windows. MKV with ASS subs.

HVEC aswell last night.

Thank you both, by changing subtitle burning to image only, my TV can play everything just fine. So can every other client.