Apple Player Update Beta Testing

I use both AppleTV and Roku Ultra (for Plex and a few others)

Yeah, tvOS really is the best platform. If Plex can just get their act together, there really wont be a downside. For now you can always use Infuse which, while I detest the UI, works perfectly well.

I have a Roku Ultra as well. Its Plex player is completely functional in the way that Plex on tvOS should be, but I find the Roku OS super slow, even on its premiere device.

Today’s 2026.11.0 (1767) has a regression where TrueHD audio does not output center channel audio when audio system is only stereo. It plays fine if using a 5.1 or 7.1 audio receiver, but when playing directly out of my TV it is dropping the center (dialog) channel.

LiveTV captions are also still always enabled.

When you mention your TV, I’m gathering it is a two channel Audio output TV only. Checking my 65" LG OLEDG4 this does not occur. There is a setting for allowing different Channel input like, Stereo, 5 channel, Auto. With my TV I can not reproduce your findings.

Is my assumption correct?

Mine’s a LG OLED55C5. I have no issues with other multichannel content, and recent prior versions of the plex app have not had this issue either.

I did some more testing this am.

It’s not just TrueHD that is causing the issue, it looks to be all 7.1 tracks (like EAC3 and DTSX) are also dropping the center channel on down mix on my second gen ATV 4K.

Do you have “Continuous Audio Connection” enabled in the Apple TV Audio Format settings? This forces Dolby MAT (which downmixes differently) and does correct the issue, but introduces other issues in my setup so I usually leave it off..

Same here for CAC, the TV speakers produce at times a distorted Audio from Centre channel when enabled.

Third Gen ATV 128GB

For what ever reason causes the distortion randomly, I have not be able to track it down.

Setup: Apple TV 4K (3rd gen), tvOS 26.4, Plex Beta 2026.10.0, PMS on a Synology NAS (Intel QuickSync, HW transcoding enabled), IPTV tuner with 50fps broadcast channels.
Live TV is always transcoded (HLS), even with quality set to Original. SD channels play fine, 720p50 mostly fine with rare brief stutters. 1080p50 channels stutter constantly: the bandwidth graph shows a clear buffering pattern (stream drops to zero, then catches up), server CPU at 60-70%, so the transcoder cannot keep up in real time with 1080p50.
Request: Please consider Direct Play / Direct Stream support for compatible Live TV streams (H.264 1080p50) instead of forced transcoding. The Apple TV decodes these natively. This would benefit all users in 50fps broadcast regions (Europe etc.).

Update: Verified with VLC. The stuttering channels are HEVC 1080p50 (broadcast passthrough). Channels that play fine are H.264 1080p25. So the failing case is exactly the heaviest pipeline: real-time HEVC decode → H.264 encode at 50fps. The Apple TV 4K decodes HEVC 1080p50 natively, so Direct Play/Direct Stream support for Live TV would eliminate both the stutter and the server load.

The latest LG update resoled my issues with CAC, happy now

Any update on when the new version will be released to the public?

No. They will likely just surprise release it. Its anyone’s guess at this point.

Does anyone know the last time a Plex employee responded on this thread?

Or provided any form of communication regarding the Apple TV software update?

Yes, it was 2026-01-10:

Communication about the tvOS update are provided via TestFlight, for those lucky enough to be enrolled.

Updates are regular (every 2-3 weeks at this point) and progress has been generally good. I’ve been using it as my primary Plex client on tvOS for several months at this point with no show-stopping issues (for my use-case).

If it’s that stable then what is holding up releasing it?

I can only surmise that there are some things which they (Plex) consider show-stoppers. I was speaking from the viewpoint of my experience and use-case. I don’t presume to assume that it matches everyone’s (or Plex’s) standards. I only know that it does what I want, very well, at this point.

My suspicion is that they are waiting to get HDR10+ and Atmos working, and hopefully getting true DV implemented. But I’d be more than fine if they released it without those features but gave some kind of a roadmap to what they’ll be working on

I agree 100%. I can live without HDR10+ and Atmos. I think most users can.

I can live without it just so I don’t have to endure Infuse’s UI (say what you will about the new Plex UI, its 100x better than Infuse’s UI that looks like first gen GPT made it), but I have a Samsung, so no DV, so HDR10+ is important to me at some point. A dev did tell me on these forums that they are planning on implementing, so knowing that I’d be fine with them releasing the beta app and just waiting for HDR10+ and what have you. The beta app is already at feature parity with the released app, no real reason to keep it locked behind Testflight at this point imo

Enjoy.

We agreed in another thread that this was not the case :grinning_face:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/can-we-get-a-roadmap-for-the-new-tvos-plex-beta-app/939365/5