Dear Plex, NZ is not Australia

NZ follows British English, not Australian English. What Australia uses, well I’m not sure, probably America.

So please stop asking me if I’d like to switch to Australian English. We are not Australian as much as we totally adore our neighbours!

Marshalleq.

We use British English here too, though we’ve added some of our own bastardisations :wink:

I’d say Australian English is probably closer to NZ English than unmodified British English. Maybe they could rename it to Antipodean English to be more inclusive?

ANZAC English perhaps? (shudder)

:slight_smile:

During my previous years installing MS Office into organisations, we ‘had’ to install British English because the suggested Australian English was not appropriate. This across multiple organisations. I don’t remember what the specifics were, I thought it was americanised but you just blew that opinion out of the water above.

Anyway, I just got prompted for British English today instead of Australian English so I think it’s fixed already! :D. Thanks Plex!

AU English in many ways is closer to US English (but not all, thus AU ENG exists).

I assume NZ is the same. Tell me this does your keyboard have a $ or a £ on it, if you said $ then you sire are closer aligned to US.

Set your keyboard to GB ENG then watch the fun. :wink:

Oh it’s always been one of those things - we always have had US keyboards yes, but never US English, always UK English, thus our official dictionary at school was the UK Oxford English Dictionary, not the American English Dictionary. We had another dictionary too which was also English and UK based but I don’t recall it at present. I think we were too small to have our own dictionary, but Australia probably had it’s own which is probably why it was an option.

All computers had to have US keyboards and UK English. I guess that would have been different if I had of kept my ZX81 or Sinclair QL :wink:

And yes, UK English keyboard is not so much fun to set a US one to!

We’re definitely not US English-based, despite US keyboards, as some have suggested.

We use metres (not meters, and definitely not feet), colours (not colors), dd/mm/yy dates, -ise not -ize suffixes, and would never, ever, ever use the term ‘fanny pack’ :joy:

If there was ever a reason to like Australians more :slight_smile:

You now have me doubting myself - do we use meters or metres, I thought the former, but I think that might have been the americanised craziness that has come in and has even effected me! I long for the return of proper British humour, but alas we are stuck with American humour which is often not funny - probably it’s too P.C. We have a lot of foreign influences in NZ. I always keep a flatmate and the current one is from Brazil. My other half is Colombian. Everything is Latin based so it should be the same - but what I’ve found is Latin is what my parents and grandparents were based on and we have become distanced from that due to what we are exposed to. Very interesting!