How To Safely Update PLEX Media Server On Raspberry Pi

server-raspberry-pi

I've had PLEX running on my RPi3 for a while and today I noticed an alert in the server control panel that says: An update is available. Please install manually.

Are there instructions as to how to safely manually install PLEX updates on the Pi? I'm not sure how to do that and my current install seems stable and I'm concerned about losing settings, etc.

Plex Server on the Raspverry Pi is not officially supported.

Using LXTerminal or similar

Update your package lists

sudo apt-get update

Upgrade Plex Media Server

sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver-installer -y

@“plexapp.com@dilligaf.ca” said:
Upgrade Plex Media Server

sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver-installer -y

Please upgrade the whole system while you are at it: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

I just upgraded my system (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade) and now have to set up the entire server again. Is this typical? Should I be backing up a configuration and restoring before and after an upgrade.

Sorry, I should have stated my system is a Raspberry Pi 2 and was just upgraded from the previous version to the current stable version of PMS (1.11.3.4803).

No that is not typical! And I suspect it is a misinterpretation of what you see.

Let us have a look: How do you come to the conclusion that you need to setup anything again?

May I also ask with version of PMS you were running prior to the update? And which instructions did you follow when you initially set-up the system?

@eckarth - I addressed 2/3 of your questions above. I only had the server running for about a month before I did the upgrade, so it was just one version back. As far as the symptoms, after the installation I visited the server administration UI in my browser and all of the settings were gone. There was no media, there were no folders, all users were gone, etc. It looked like a brand new set up. I ended up deleting the old machine from my account and adding the new one.

I’m getting ready to update again, as I now see there is another update available, but I am hesitant based on my last experience.

@scottrudy said:
@eckarth - I addressed 2/3 of your questions above. I only had the server running for about a month before I did the upgrade, so it was just one version back. As far as the symptoms, after the installation I visited the server administration UI in my browser and all of the settings were gone. There was no media, there were no folders, all users were gone, etc. It looked like a brand new set up. I ended up deleting the old machine from my account and adding the new one.

You had manually changed the location of the Library directory or the PMS user in an unusual way. The update restored the default locations. Nothing was ever deleted and it would have been trivial to restore your old setup. So some remarks:

(1) Don’t panic. Till now we always were able to recover a “lost” PMS setup
(2) Only use the official Linux and RPi guides here in the forum. Even (or especially? :smiley: ) the most high ranked Google hits contain complete garbage.