Is there a Plex client with RCA connections?

other-third-party

Is there a Plex client with RCA connections? Or some reasonable solution that gets to RCA connections?

My situation is odd. I have relatives with only 3G internet to their laptop (a Chromebook) and an older TV with only RCA connections. They also have a Win 7 desktop on dial-up that runs Plex and Plex Media Server (PMS), but it's not near the TV.

Is there a way to stream to the TV without upgrading to a TV with HDMI? It seems that the Roku boxes have RCA connections, but require internet, not just a home network.

Thanks!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Roku is the only Plex enabled device with composite output. You can buy HDMI to composite cables but then you also open a whole bag of hurt. I was in a similar situation wanting to hook up one of my Google TV's to a monitor without a second HDMI in an office, purchased cables to do so only to find out that due to the absurd built in copy protection nonsense crapware it would not output video at all without HDMI - I believe the Apple TV will behave in the same fashion. In the end I gave up and just bought a new cheapo HDTV for that room.

[quote name='DavidNC' timestamp='1340115263' post='273231']

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Roku is the only Plex enabled device with composite output. You can buy HDMI to composite cables but then you also open a whole bag of hurt. I was in a similar situation wanting to hook up one of my Google TV's to a monitor without a second HDMI in an office, purchased cables to do so only to find out that due to the absurd built in copy protection nonsense crapware it would not output video at all without HDMI - I believe the Apple TV will behave in the same fashion. In the end I gave up and just bought a new cheapo HDTV for that room.

[/quote]

Thanks, David. I was afraid of this. Maybe the ultimate solution will be to get them a cheap set-top box that plays media from a flash drive.

I am still interested if the pros have any suggestions. (Unfortunately, the TV is too far away to just run a cable.)

[quote name='richardcherron' timestamp='1340113408' post='273224']

My situation is odd. I have relatives with only 3G internet to their laptop (a Chromebook) and an older TV with only RCA connections. They also have a Win 7 desktop on dial-up that runs Plex and Plex Media Server (PMS), but it's not near the TV.

[/quote]

IMO, that whole situation needs to be reappraised.

However, there may be some room for using Internet sharing on the desktop; the roku could dial out for those small checks, then stream over the network.

Another option could be streaming a display across the network to a device with analog out (say an iphone running plex streaming via airplay to a raspberry pi with openelec, or something that would stream from the windows pc, maybe even an analog video solution that uses 5Ghz to transmit the signal

You could use the WDTV via DLNA..

Where did you see the Roku REQUIRES internet?

Roku does require internet for initial set up. Although for local network resources as long as its connected to the network it can access PMS locally.

I recently changed ISP's and went without internet for a week and had plex running the entire time.