My Growl Plugin

other-dev

Get Growl Notifications in Plex!
Hey, I wanted to be able to see Growl notifications (downloads complete, etc) in Plex, so I knuckled down and wrote a Growl display plugin that does just that, using the built in notification system.

You can use it to display local notifications from the Plex machine, or even use it on a remote machine to send it's notifications to your Plex system.

You can download it here: http://themacbox.co.uk/stuff/XBMC.growlView.zip

Here's what notifications look like if you haven't seen one before:

http://themacbox.co.uk/stuff/plexNotification.png

Here's how to configure the plugin:

1. If you don't have the web server enabled, enable it in Plex > Preferences > Network > Enable web server. While you're there, make a note of the port, and set the password if you plan on making it outside accessible.

2. Install the growl plugin and open it's settings.

http://themacbox.co.uk/stuff/plexGrowlSettings.png

3. If you have a password set then enter "plex" in the username box, otherwise leave it blank.

4. If you have a password, enter it in the password box.

5. Enter the IP or hostname of your plex system, you'll need a static IP if you're sending to a remote plex server, if you want it externally accessible use something like DynDNS and forward the web interface port to your plex system. If you're just displaying local notifications you can just enter localhost. You also need to enter the port as shown in the screenshot. So if the IP address is 192.168.1.199 and the port is 3000 (the default) then enter 192.168.1.199:3000 or if you're using localhost then enter localhost:3000 etc.

6. Click verify and if your plex system is running and the details are correct it should say "Success!"

7. You can enter the number of seconds you want the notification to display for if you want, and also choose another display plugin if you want it to display as a normal growl notification as well (eg. for when Plex isn't running)

If you have any problems with the plugin, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll see what I can do. :)

Oh, and say thanks if you like it!

Hi

I just tried your Growl plugin and I have to say... finally. It always bothered me that I have to walk over to my MBP to look for notifications.

All I wanted to say is ... THANK YOU ...

[quote name='mitah' date='30 January 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1264884537' post='75739']

Hi

I just tried your Growl plugin and I have to say... finally. It always bothered me that I have to walk over to my MBP to look for notifications.

All I wanted to say is ... THANK YOU ...

[/quote]

Glad someone other than me has some use for it! Feel free to let me know if you have any problems. :)

Oh, nice work dude, I'm using irssi, and this is just great to show highlights when using plex :) that you very much....

this is perfect.

however, I don't quite understand the purpose.... I hope you don't mind asking me.... Growl notifications already display on top of the Plex fullscreen display, so it's enough to have Growl installed. Or what do I not get here?

[quote name='funkahdafi' date='08 March 2010 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1268078946' post='79820']

this is perfect.

however, I don't quite understand the purpose.... I hope you don't mind asking me.... Growl notifications already display on top of the Plex fullscreen display, so it's enough to have Growl installed. Or what do I not get here?

[/quote]

Hi, that's OK - don't mind you asking. There are several purposes:

[list]

[]Some people, including myself, don't see Growl notifications over the full screen display. (I certainly don't, is this common?)

[
]It allows you to display the notifications as proper Plex notifications, which is nice if you want everything to fit a certain style (it should match the notification appearance of your active theme)

[*]It also allows you to display Growl notifications from any of the computers on your network (or even anywhere in the world if your media server is outside accessible) on your media server (eg. as mitah mentioned, you can forward notifications from your laptop to your media machine)

[/list]

Hope that answers your question!

this is awesome. thank you very much.

marc

[quote name='Alex P' date='09 March 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1268160392' post='79950']

Hi, that's OK - don't mind you asking. There are several purposes:

[list]

[]Some people, including myself, don't see Growl notifications over the full screen display. (I certainly don't, is this common?)

[
]It allows you to display the notifications as proper Plex notifications, which is nice if you want everything to fit a certain style (it should match the notification appearance of your active theme)

[*]It also allows you to display Growl notifications from any of the computers on your network (or even anywhere in the world if your media server is outside accessible) on your media server (eg. as mitah mentioned, you can forward notifications from your laptop to your media machine)

[/list]

Hope that answers your question!

[/quote]

Yes. And I don't want to be rude or question your effort, but everything you list up there is already in Growl (including forwarding notifications to other computers). Except for the native Plex notification.

Don't know why you don't see Growl on top of Plex. Maybe it's a configuration option within Growl? Not sure. Here the notifications pop up over Plex's display just fine.

Actually I have been using this for quite some time (I forward IMs like Skype and what not from my main machine over to my Plex machine).

You definitely got a point though with the integrated Plex notofications.

Anyways, I do appreciate your effort, I hope you don't get this the wrong way. Thanks for the plugin! :-)