Plex Media Server on Pi 3

server-raspberry-pi

I am having trouble getting to the web interface of my Plex Media Server on a Raspberry Pi 3. I have followed several tutorials for a PMS on RasPi3 with no problems... until the end of course. Here is the status of the process

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo service plexmediaserver status
● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-03-02 20:26:21 MST; 24min ago
  Process: 8168 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" || /bin/mkdir -p "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 8172 (sh)
   CGroup: /system.slice/plexmediaserver.service
           ├─8172 /bin/sh -c LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server"
           └─8174 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server

Mar 02 20:26:21 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...
Mar 02 20:26:21 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.

It looks like everything is going fine. The only strange thing about the set up is that when I tried installing it with the installer it made a file at /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev but all (or at least most) of the tutorials said it should be /etc/default/plexmediaserver and it was not. So I created a copy of the first the named the latter still no affect.

I have changed permissions on several files. Does anyone have anything i can try to get this going? I have installed the latest everything on the pi running Raspian.

@"Jase Bleazard" said:
It looks like everything is going fine. The only strange thing about the set up is that when I tried installing it with the installer it made a file at /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev but all (or at least most) of the tutorials said it should be /etc/default/plexmediaserver and it was not. So I created a copy of the first the named the latter still no affect.

Don't try to change the user of the Plex Media Server. There is nearly no reason at all to do this, ever. And if you really have to, read this thread [1]. /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev is just a backup of the old /etc/default/plexmediaserver that's not used anymore at all by the Plex systemd service. Both files do nothing.

I have changed permissions on several files. Does anyone have anything i can try to get this going? I have installed the latest everything on the pi running Raspian.

And that's even worse :D I suppose you have changed the owner of /var/lib/plexmediaserver to pi? Never do this. PMS is running as user plex and that's completely fine.

We now have a nice and complete tutorial here in this forum section [2]. It covers everything from basic PMS installation to the correct mounting of your media files and discusses Linux file permissions. You might want to give the authors of the tutorials you had used the advice to read it some time.

So to fix your problem I hope it's enough to just do the following:

# stop PMS
sudo systemctl stop plexmediaserver
# fix permissions
sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver
# start PMS
sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver

Then please also read [2] to add your media to your Plex Media Server.

[1] https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/286395/customizing-your-plex-configuration
[2] https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/309553/plex-media-server-for-armhf-and-arm64-using-debian-or-ubuntu

Thank you very much! I did read your posts and tried to fix all of my changing of permissions and what not but based on what you told me to do that fixed it I was changing the wrong files. Thank you for your help!