Python.app blocked in Mac firewall

plexconnect

I've been enjoying Plexconnect without any issues until I updated to El Capitan two days ago.
Now every time I launch PlexConnect.py I get a pop up (three identical popups actually) asking if I want Python.app to accept incoming connections. I answer yes and verify that python.app is indeed in the firewall rules (but it was there already, it's always been there).
I go watch the television and there's no trailers available. Look in my activity monitor there are 5 or 6 python apps running, each with a different PID. My understanding is that this app somehow changes itself so there is no point in allowing it in the Firewall.
If I disable my Mac firewall everything works, but of course I'd rather have my Firewall running at all times.
Any ideas?

yes configure the firewall right. Even if you said its inthere make all rules new and see again.

Yeah, Mac Firewall sucks here. I have a couple of Apps that show this behavior. It is nothing Python / Plex specific.

What fixed it on my system for Kodi is the following:
sudo codesign --force --sign - /Applications/Kodi.app/

This signs the application with a new local key. For it to work your will need to have XCode and the Command Line Tools for Xcode installed on your system.

Yes but I don't understand why it's been working perfectly until 2 days ago when I updated to El Capitan. The Firewall is just the same as Yosemite.

OpenPlex also codesigns python automagically for your firewall.

If I go through the hassle of 'codesigning' Python.app - which apparently is the culprit since the Firewall keeps asking to allow incoming connections for it - what's the point really, since as far as I know when you add an app to OSX's firewall it gets signed automatically...?

Depends on the app installed. Python for some reason isn't code signed. I believe this is what you type in terminal to fix it:

sudo codesign -f -s - /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app

I tried thanks, the first message from Terminal seems good but the second one gives an 'Operation not permitted' error (?) ... I entered my password correctly.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app: replacing existing signature
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app: Operation not permitted

Try this one: sudo codesign --force --sign - /usr/bin/python

Ah El Capitan....try this after you enter recovery mode (hold option @ boot). Enter a terminal while in recovery then type this:

csrutil disable

Reboot OS X then try:

sudo codesign -f -s - /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app

@coz2001 : thanks but it did not work.

@wahlman.j : thanks it did work, PROBLEM SOLVED!! I have managed to codesign python.app and of course I have re-enabled System Integrity Protection by running 'csrutil enable' after that.

Apparently I have now my Firewall running AND Apple TV/PlexConnect.py working again.

I think this thread will be useful to everyone in the same situation after the El Capitan update.

Did you make a clean install or update?

I have just make a clean install on another mac not plex server and when 'python -V' in terminal it returns 2.7.10, so my question is do we need to install python at all seems to be installed from start?

I updated from Yosemite to El Capitan.
I've never installed Python, I also get 2.7.10 with python -V
I also think that it's installed from start and have no idea why codesigning python.app is required (at least in my case), yet it worked.

@wahlman.j said:
Ah El Capitan....try this after you enter recovery mode (hold option @ boot). Enter a terminal while in recovery then type this:

csrutil disable

Reboot OS X then try:

I just bumped into this problem as well and - thankfully - found this thread.

@wahlman, I have a quick question. Do I have to be inSafe Boot to disable / enable CSR or can this be done in a regular system boot as well?

*UPDATE: I just found the answer myself. It can't be done out of Safe Boot. Please ignore my question :-S *

Clean El Capitan, I have disabled crsutil (and left it disabled), tried all the codesign commands above with no errors, I still continue to get the python allow (3 times) each time I restart the computer, or have to restart plex. I also have openplex installed, which you guys say codesigns python... this is a very annoying issue... are there any fixes that are more straightforward????

Try this:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/224862/python-app-not-accepting-incoming-network-connections

My mistake if it works...

I have macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta, with everything newly installed and mac firewall is on.
By doing codesign to Plex app, it works (without reboot computer or router).

$ sudo codesign --force --sign - /Applications/Plex\ Media\ Server.app/

I did close and re-open the plex server instance.