QNAP Media streamer streams 4K with subs flawlessly while Plex dies.. ?

server-qnap

Dear Plexies.

Can anyone please explain to me why the same file im playing works flawlessly on Qnaps media stream addon:

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/how-to-enjoy-multimedia-content-stored-on-the-qnap-nas-via-dlnaupnp
With subtitles 4K HDR .. without any hassle.

I have a Samsung QLED 65" Curved from 2017.

Also have Plex on my NAS and TV. Plex can play the file without subs.. but as soon I add subtitles (.srt) , the movies start to lag and .. well .. movie ends :)

How come that Plex cant do what a simple addon can do for QNAP? Its just DNLA streaming. If I enable DNLA for the PMS . It dont work at all.

How can I get PMS to work with 4K HDR , just like the QNAP media streamer?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Morphy

Whow thats a nice update :slight_smile:

Gonna test asap .

Thanks Dane

READ THE LINK!!!

It says, that with the latest version, it’ll do a FULL transcode, if subs are selected, until PMS V1.11.2 is released

Edit: Just released :wink:

Ah crap read wrong lmao… :expressionless:

Still transcoding :frowning:

And doesn’t if subs are not selected ?
And on the latest PP version of PMS, as well as newest Sammy Client?

No subs no transcoding.

Yep latest version and latest Sammy

And some annoying new thing . Subs are placed aprox 1/3 up from the buttom ( midle of the screen) looks awfull. :frowning:

@Morphy said:
No subs no transcoding.

Yep latest version and latest Sammy

I need PMS logs in debug mode, since I do not have the HW to reproduce

@Morphy said:
And some annoying new thing . Subs are placed aprox 1/3 up from the buttom ( midle of the screen) looks awfull. :frowning:

Look at known issues here:

I need to install it on my nas then.

My current Plex server is running contantly, so cant kill it :slight_smile:

Let me see what I can do ( sunday )

Ok @dane22

This is odd. I ran the exact same movie from remote server and local server. Same servers running latest beta of PMS. Remote server transcodes - local server direct stream. All settings are the same, so do you have any clue why the remote is transcoding maybe?

My remote settings is set to 12Mbps . Have 300/60 from YouSee .

So PMS is working fine, and why it transcode, only logs in debug mode will tell

Reproduce, and then make a zip of of the PMS logs right after it starts to transcode
And note, that it also could be the remote site, as well as the remote client
( Hint: Hard to help here, if left in the dark :wink: )

Ok changed the remote settings to original quality - Now the remote server direct stream the same media as my local server. ( Is that normal ) ?

I know :slight_smile: . Just tried my settings on the tv first… Seems to direct stream now.

Its just odd that Tizen TV needs Original settings in remote quality to direct stream.

My Samsung from 2014 ( running Orcas version - dont transcode and remote settings is just set to 7 out of 12 , so not even close to original quality . )

Will test some more tomorrow . :slight_smile:

Just testet with a 4K movie with srt subs. Though the server says its direct stream , it constantly buffering. Disable subs works perfectly.

All other formats 720p and 1080p runs smooth, but not 4K :frowning:

As said… LOGS