First the Disclaimer – I am a network engineer, not a programmer. I play around with code. I am publishing this to give back to the communities that have helped me learn. There may be better ways of scraping the Plex Posters, but this is the way I chose to do it. I am open to suggestions. Use at your own risk.
Added X-Plex-Token to code.
I always thought it would be cool to have a display outside my media room that would show the poster of the movie or TV show that is currently playing. I searched the internet and found similar projects, which were all windows programs. There was just one problem… I wanted to run this project on a Raspberry Pi 3 running Linux. So, unsatisfied with the solutions I found online, I decided to build my own.
A functioning Plex Server
Web Server – I am running NGINX
PHP – I am running version 5.6.22
Web Browser - I am running Chromium on a Raspberry Pi that is also running web server.
X-Plex-Token – Find out how to get your token here.
Custom Text on top and bottom of posters.
Cache posters locally.
Copy all the files into the root of your web server.
Fix permission on cache folder (chmod 777 cache)
Edit the config.php file.
Open the URL to your server in a broswer.
I am nervous about releasing this to the public since I am still learning programming languages, but I thought someone might find it useful. If you modify the code to fix it or make it better please share back to the community.
Also if you have trouble installing please read the blog post. I have some tips at the bottom of the post that might help. If you are still having trouble getting it to work please post here or on the GitHub page. I will try and help.