Hello everyone finally it's here and I think some of you waited for this to happen quite a while and I'm sorry for that. After the last few weeks I dedicated most of my time to finish the backend and reworked and improved this Metadata Agent.
MyAnimeList.net Metadata Agent / MALAgent
The MyAnimeListAgent is a Metadata Agent for the Plex Media Server and is used to parse data from a source into the server. Since MyAnimelist.net does not provide a easy to use and complete API for their database I wrote the fribbtastic-api to parse the website and return the necessary data for the Agent to work. After the Scanner scans your files on your hard drive and added them to your library a search query to my API is triggered and the result with the highest conformity will be used to trigger a detailed request. This detailed request contains everything that is parseable like the title, the rank or all available Episodes.
The MyAnimeListAgent can be used for Tv-Shows and Movies.
To provide more Image Information like Backgrounds and Banners the API provides these fromTheTVDB.
- Every Anime is cached in a Database to limit the requests made to the myanimelist.net website. Animes are cached for 7 days.
- Popular Animes like Naruto, Bleach or One Piece who provide many information will take some time to complete the request. So if you have an Anime that is not getting recognized or filled with Metadata, try to refresh the anime after clearing the plugin cache.
- My API, which provides the Data, is only parsing the Data from MyAnimeList.net which means if there are missing Episode titles then it is possible that they aren’t added yet.
- If Episodes are not available on MyAnimeList.net this Agent will set the Title to “Episode: X” and the date to the date you are adding it to your library. This means that you can still watch your anime from the “On Deck” Feature even if the original date is not available.
Works best with: BABS – Better absolute Scanner
Windows: C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Scanners\Series
Linux: /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Scanners/Series
If the Folders Scanners and Series do not exist then you need to create them.
- Stop Plex Media Server
- Copy the MyAnimeList.bundle folder into your plugins folder (Where is my Plugins folder?)
- Start Plex Media Server
To figure out what happened I need the following Information: The Title and the Id of the Anime and If possible append the Log file to your post (how to find your log file!)
- API calls especially ones who aren't in cache yet or are older then 7 days will take longer to complete. So it is possible that you sometimes won't get any metadata because of an http timeout. Just start it again and the API cache should be good to go. This is especially the case for Anime with an episode list over 100 like Bleach, Naruto, HunterXHunter and especiall One Piece.
TheTVDB search request I made to get the series will match the found title to the title of the series. If this matching score is not over 85% the response wont get any TVDB Data
- Sometimes when you won't get any metadata be patient and try another time. It could mean that myanimelist is refusing the request of my API because of "Too many requests".
If you have any problems with this Agent please don't hesitate to ask but please keep this thread clean. If you have problems, exceptions or strange behaviour post them in my Support thread here
you can also follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/D4r4ku or visit the project page on http://coding.fribbtastic.net/projects/myanimelistagent/ (there you can subscribe for email notification)