What is the path taken by the stream, between the tuner and Plex player?
Currently using HDHomeRun Quad tuner and Plex AppleTV app. Does PMS simply give the Plex player the URL with which to obtain the stream from the tuner and which then routes directly from the (HDHR in my case) tuner to the Plex player, or does PMS ‘pull’ the stream from the tuner and then relay/re-stream it to the Plex player and if it does, is there any transcoding involved?
Reason I ask is that I get better performance for live TV when using the Channels app on the Apple TV than the Plex app. The former pulls the stream directly from the HDHR tuner, decodes the stream and plays it. What does Plex do? When playing Live TV, there is significant lag when starting playing compared to Channels and also more prone to picture break-up using Plex.
So I’m trying to establish what are the differences in the way the stream is routed/handled that might account for the difference in performance.
I see no reason why PMS needs to be involved in the actual streaming as that would be terribly inefficient and has to add some lag and also unnecessarily doubles network traffic, certainly for the server itself. It would be far more efficient just to allow the Plex player to pull the stream directly from the tuner. But which modus operandi does Plex actually use?
