Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox one new app is trash!

AshTray900AshTray900 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 157 Plex Pass

Ok this interface is horrible, absolutely horrible, I have 2 tv libraries, one for dvr recordings and one for other shows, playlists are gone, i mean i cant even use the old one anymore though it shows i can download it, Xbox immediately says it needs updated and updates and puts the old one back into app ready to install.

I've always had good things to say about Plex, but unfortunately I have to launch a HUGE complaint here, the app is trash remove it now or let me use the old one

Thanks for rendering my Xbox useless for Plex, back to roku, I better not see this crap app on there!

Comments

• MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee

Hi there.

I have 2 tv libraries, one for dvr recordings and one for other shows

What exactly is the issue here. You can access your TV libraries by navigating up from the top navigation bar on the dashboard to switch between them.

playlists are gone

Switch to the library that playlist is comprised of and you'll see the playlists in a hub on that dashboard.

Please let us know what the pain points you have with the app are, feedback is always useful.

• AshTray900AshTray900 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 157 Plex Pass

Ok I see if you hit up again it shows you that you can change them. This is not a good way to do it, the left hand column chooser was so much better and easy to use.

I found playlist by selecting the library (but not clicking on it) then moving down. This is a hassle I didn't have to do before. I simply picked a library or the playlist on the left and it popped up.

Honestly this still feels like trash to me but thanks for showing me where they were hidden.

Maybe it's just me but I feel this was just an aesthetic update to look "modern" but feels like Hulu lives navigation which I've used extensively and still feel it to be trash while the ps vue may look less new age it's a much better app

All of this was fine and dandy, I could stick to my old app and love it, but now I am forced to use something I won't, I'll use another device instead.

I don't have Alexia and could care less about it but I don't think incorporating it required a total navigation overhaul.

Time would have been better spent adding the live tv option to Xbox one app since the Xbox is more powerful than a roku.

Sorry but really my pain points are e everything, I didn't see one thing that made the app better for me to use, just add some color, throw the nav into layers up top and make everything convoluted to get to. I see absolutely no benefit of this for me, when the first overhaul launched it was well received by me, I loved the changes, I like nothing about this one.

At the very least please let me use my old app while others may like this I don't. Rename it to classic Plex and tell Microsoft to stop forcing it to update then remove itself

edited October 2017

To make this usable for me I pretty much have to combine my libraries which I don't want to do as I have a few seasons commercial free of tv shows I also dvr on another library

• kayllistikayllisti Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

I have to agree that I really miss the Library and playlist selection on the side. I understand I can accomplish the same things in the new version, but I feel like It takes longer and requires more button presses then before and I can't really see what benefits the changes bring. Maybe if i could understand what is supposed to be better about this new version I would be be more accepting of it.

Found one positive, Navi loads faster, my suggestion don't combine libraries, keep them separate by name and have playlists as a whole up there with them, hide things I don't have like videos and photos, keep the navigation buttons the same, they have my own name and are individual, that's all I'm going to say, kudos for making my 1000 show playlist load fast, could have appeased us to changes with live tv like on phone, if a phone can do it so can an Xbox. And fix the navigation like it was even if on top and it separates dashboards for each library

• renettirenetti Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

@kayllisti that's a good point. Even with the server updates we can see what's new. However with the Xbox, it updates whether you like it or not, and does not even tell you what the update is for. Once it's completed there is no going back.

Also drip the recommended and channels at the bottom, channels are there only if you have any installed, I don't I would like to turn that entire bottom bar off

That's basically how I feel it added complexity and a new age look at the cost of functionality to some degree and the only positive I've seen is it loads items faster, anyways take that advice how you want, I have a nice roku ultra I can use also on all my tv's so if combining my libraries doesn't make this feel better I'll just use it instead

• KeiffGKeiffG Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I agree that they've screwed the pooch on this update. It used to look polished and clean. Now it looks like an amateur hack-job... My cool "On Deck", "Recently Added" and other groupings have been replaced with this?!?

Furthermore, entering a particular media library is just a big, clumsy wall of icons?

I also don't appreciate hiding my personal libraries. I too have separate collections of TV shows in a different library from my DVR directory. Convoluting navigation to them was a bad move. I was just bragging about my Plex environment today, but came home to this craptastic downgrade.

• MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee

@KeiffG If you follow the instructions in that first run message it will populate your dashboard after with your expected On Deck, recently added hubs etc. That message should only show up the first time you run the app. If you press up when focused on a type icon on the dashboard it should reveal a library source picker that shows all the libraries available in that type.

• neckmeatsneckmeats Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@Moussa Maybe encourage your UX team to check this out: https://uxmastery.com/resources/ux-courses/

Seriously... if this interface went live at my employer, people would lose their jobs.

• KeiffGKeiffG Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Moussa, I appreciate your pointers and speedy response. The Plex team are lucky to have you on board.

However, the new UI is no longer intuitive and looks absolutely horrible. The blurred gradient backgrounds are ugly compared to the clean black of the previous app. Cutting a widescreen square out of the the movie poster to represent "continue watching" titles is a really bad solution. Pausing for more than 5 minutes gives me a screen saver of the Plex logo bouncing around and prompts me to log in when dismissed. These are all steps backwards. Neckmeats is right. I've seen freshmen multimedia students produce better interfaces. I'm sorry for whoever led the charge on this design, but its just really bad.

• EnigmaFXEnigmaFX Members, Plex Pass Posts: 56 Plex Pass

@Moussa iv been posting for 2 days NOW one reply frm anyone anywhere can you kindly point me in the right direction here
    "Plex is showing unwatched shows and movies as watched? not sure why or how to resolve this just started happening today
    I made a video depicting the issue if that helps? -->

and no recents showing up as well for invited friends using my server on xboxone

i think it is the plex app updates on all platforms that is causing these issues , not the server updates as far as i can tell can someone confirm?
    Did this answer the question? Yes · No

@neckmeats Thanks

@KeiffG I'm sorry you don't like the blurred backgrounds but a lot of users prefer them to the black ones. You can disable the screensaver in the app settings if you wish. Asking you to log back in is by design, which you can also disable by enabling automatic sign in in the app settings.

@EnigmaFX Is this on all your clients or specific ones? I've passed it on to the relevant team either way.

edited October 2017

@Moussa thanks for the reply, i can confirm it is on apple tv 4k and none 4k iterations and xobxone, I can also confirm that it happened directly after the last app update on all these platforms

@Moussa ok quick "update" some pun intended :P , I have One Apple tv out of my 6 that didn't update AND everything is fine on it so the issue is definitely linked to the app update on the client it seems, also one of my 3 xbox one's is did not updated BUT i cant check if ti works on that one because it is saying in order to use the app I HAVE TO UPDATE... lol so im screwed there either way

@EnigmaFX What about the web app? Does it persist after you force close the app and restart it?

@Moussa said:
    @EnigmaFX What about the web app? Does it persist after you force close the app and restart it?

web client is fine as well mate

• tecolwelltecolwell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I'm going to agree 100%. Navigation of the new UI is not fluid it all. Nesting the libraries is ridiculous. I don't see how anyone could have looked at this prior to launch and thought to themselves, "People are going to love this!" You have taken easy to access content and put it all on opposite ends of the screen. A smooth and simple UI isn't difficult to design, quit trying so hard. KEEP IT SIMPLE PLEASE.

• kingshillbillykingshillbilly Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Got home from work tonight, and was excited to see an update for the Plex app. The excitement died when I tried to use it.

Major Usability Problems:

• Breathing on the controller too hard makes whatever you are watching skip. Apparently someone felt that every knob and button should be used for the skip feature. It used to be the d-pad was what was used to skip. Absolutely NO other Xbox app does this. This is terrible - FIX IT
    • MKV seems to not play so nicely as it did before. It seems that the old problems that used to be with MKV (and the reason I did not use Plex) are back. - Skipping makes the thing freeze and lock up randomly. - See problem #1 with controller making it skip
    • In settings, it says my device is 1280 x 720 - WRONG! I double checked every setting on my system to make sure that somehow I did not have something set up correctly. For some reason, Plex is operating at 720p instead of 1080p (or higher I suppose)
    • ALL of my folders are GONE! - All I get now are Movies, Shows, Music, Videos... Apparently someone thought that no one uses folders to store and sort their content???!!!!

Annoyances:

• The app would not connect to my local server from the get go. (Which has never been a problem) It kept saying the server was unreachable. I had to go into settings and manually enter the IP address - which made it work.
    • Coloring is blah - The former black background allowed the content (posters, still shots, etc) be the star of the content. Now everything just gets washed out.
    • Navigation is very clunky. One obvious example: click on shows - hit the B button to go back home (like every other xbox app) nope! It asks if you want to quit Plex.
    • UI needs significant repairs to make it the professional caliber app that it was just yesterday. It looks and functions like it was delegated to a high school intern to put together.

Fun things:
    My dog loves the plex logo screensaver. He stares at the screen barking at it.

Plex, you have taken a rock solid app and gutted it on so many levels. Honestly, I would rename this version "Plex Xbox Alpha" and put the old version back in the store till you can get some of these major issues worked out.