Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Simple X - A Native 3rd Party Plex Client for the new Apple TV (4th Gen)

Stevenson-PriceStevenson-Price Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 233 Plex Employee

http://simplex.video

Hi everyone, so I've been working on my own Plex client for tvOS on the new Apple TV. It's built using all the native interface stuff, so it looks and feels great (I love the new remote!)

Assuming I don't have any issues with app approval it should be available day one of the tvOS App Store.

I wasn't sure how long Plex would take with their client, and I really wanted to start using the new Apple TV for Plex - so I made my own client! It currently only supports video sections (no Photos or Music just yet)

If there are any Plex users out there with an Apple TV dev kit, I'd be interested in having a few people beta test with TestFlight. If you're interested then drop me a message here or on Twitter.

Feel free to post any questions etc in this thread.

Here's the demo video we made to show you what Simple X is like:

Comments

• hvhoonhvhoon Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

@Stevenson-Price hey! awesome, would love to beta test. I have a dev kit (I'm developing a video queue app). I think I just need a redeem code from you?

• EdPentelowEdPentelow Members Posts: 94 ✭✭

Oh, awesome. Looks great.

Are there any requirements in term of what users need to run Plex Media Server on? Will I be able to continue using my NAS to run it, for example?

• Stevenson-PriceStevenson-Price Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 233 Plex Employee

@EdPentelow said:
    Oh, awesome. Looks great.

Are there any requirements in term of what users need to run Plex Media Server on? Will I be able to continue using my NAS to run it, for example?

SimpleX will happily connect to any device running Plex Media Server.

The Apple TV's video capabilities are very similar to the previous Apple TV's, and most other streaming boxes; it'll happily Direct Stream all of your H.264 videos, but may transcode other video types (which can struggle on underpowered NAS devices).

• EdPentelowEdPentelow Members Posts: 94 ✭✭

@Stevenson-Price said:
    The Apple TV's video capabilities are very similar to the previous Apple TV's, and most other streaming boxes; it'll happily Direct Stream all of your H.264 videos, but may transcode other video types (which can struggle on underpowered NAS devices).

Sounds perfect for me. Good luck with it.

• AeroR1AeroR1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 83 Plex Pass

Looks great, cant wait to try it out. Question on the new Apple tv itself. does it allow you to pick the HDMI output to Auto, YCbCr, RGB High, RGB Low like the the ATV 3?

thats the one thing that bugs me about the roku, it only outputs in RGB and it crushes all the blacks on my display making the Plex app look sub par.

thanks!

• Stevenson-PriceStevenson-Price Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 233 Plex Employee

@AeroR1 said:
    Looks great, cant wait to try it out. Question on the new Apple tv itself. does it allow you to pick the HDMI output to Auto, YCbCr, RGB High, RGB Low like the the ATV 3?

thats the one thing that bugs me about the roku, it only outputs in RGB and it crushes all the blacks on my display making the Plex app look sub par.

thanks!

Sorry, it's against the terms of the Dev Kit agreement to post anything public about the new Apple TV itself.

I'll drop you a message about an unrelated thing though.

• clanceyclancey Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I also have a dev kit and am happy to beta test.

• ericyanushericyanush Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

I also have a dev kit, I would be more than willing to beta test also!

• kebre001kebre001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I have a dev-kit and Im using Plex daily on my TV so would love to help with the app

• larsanlarsan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 88 Plex Pass

Sign me up! :)

Security at the expense of usability, comes at the expense of security.

• chapmanjwchapmanjw Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

Looks gorgeous. I'd love to beta test!

• freakinsidefreakinside Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I would like to beta test it ;)

• matijsmatijs Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I would also like to test your app :)

• UtterAnhedoniaUtterAnhedonia Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I'd be glad to test the app.

• zombianzombian Members, Plex Pass Posts: 343 Plex Pass

This is great news. I'm not much of an apple user myself but my parents are and I wanted to get them an atv4 for Christmas but I idealy wanted it to have a Plex clients out of the box so they can access my server. I assume simplex will be able to access remote library's?

A lie can get half way across the world before the truth even gets its shoes on.

@zombian said:
    This is great news. I'm not much of an apple user myself but my parents are and I wanted to get them an atv4 for Christmas but I idealy wanted it to have a Plex clients out of the box so they can access my server. I assume simplex will be able to access remote library's?

Yup, it can access remote servers both through Plex login, and manual address entry.

• RomeozRomeoz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

I have the dev kit...can I get the code to test? thanks

• bevanpfcbevanpfc Members Posts: 211 Plex Pass
    edited October 2015

Nice work, I'll be looking for this on launch day !
    Will you be supporting shared libraries?
    Just read the comment 2 posts up that you'll be supporting remote servers too, that's great ! Are you implementing a global search feature like cyberghost84 has on his plexconnect theme ?

• galritogalrito Members Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Hi. I'm interested to test your app. Thanks.

• Cyb3rGh05tCyb3rGh05t Members, Plex Pass Posts: 300 Plex Pass
    via Email
    Yes me too :)
    My PlexConnect Theme "Revenant"
    Apple  TV 2 & 3

Donate
     USD EUR