Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install

PLEXarinnPLEXarinn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass
edited April 21 in Windows

I just updated plex and now i get this "Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failde to install" on so many shows, i have restart the computer - made repairs and noting works, how can i fix this.

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,915 Plex Ninja

Has your Plex server machine a working internet connection?

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • PAUL.BARKER369@GMAIL.COMPAUL.BARKER369@GMAIL.COM Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I have the same issue after updating PMS to 1.4.3.3433-03e4cfa35. I am running a Synology NAS DS 214play, DSM version DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9. I have a mixture of mkv, avi and mp4 movie files. After the update almost all of the mkv files I created from DVD do not work with the error "Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install." On iOS iPad or Plex via web browser the same. Before I change anything - can someone advise what I should do first.... I am a newbie and really not sure what I should try next.

• kimo9000kimo9000 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Same here, worked yesterday before update, "conversion failed, required codec could not be found.

• msbcasteelmsbcasteel Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Same here. I hadn't updated, thought maybe that was the issue. Now may roll back and see what happens.

• jlhowlettjlhowlett Members Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Getting the same thing here on PMS 1.0.15 running OMV 2.2.13 using Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64. Conversion was working fine prior to me updating.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,577 Plex Team Member

@jlhowlett said:
    Getting the same thing here on PMS 1.0.15 running OMV 2.2.13 using Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64. Conversion was working fine prior to me updating.

Please update to the current public release version of Plex Media Server - version 1.5.5 available through https://plex.tv/downloads

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• arabianhexarabianhex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

im getting the same missing codec on windows pms 1.5.5.3634 After installation I got msg saying "Something went wrong" i tried to download the same version and doing repair however still not fixed

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,577 Plex Team Member

@arabianhex said:
    im getting the same missing codec on windows pms 1.5.5.3634 After installation I got msg saying "Something went wrong" i tried to download the same version and doing repair however still not fixed

logs please after restart and when you get the codec error

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• arabianhexarabianhex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

very strange the im no longer getting the codecs msg. appreciate the support

• stouellstouell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Need to come back to other version before 1.5 because all my roky was unable to transcode.... Anybody else have a problem with Roku 3 and the new version? Playstation and chromecast are ok.

edited April 18

@stouell said:
    Need to come back to other version before 1.5 because all my roky was unable to transcode.... Anybody else have a problem with Roku 3 and the new version? Playstation and chromecast are ok.

If you upload the server logs after a restart and trying streaming on the roku, it may become clear as to why it is not working. If there is a roku angle on this, then roku app debug log would be useful

See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201377603-Roku-Logs

• jimmypoohjimmypooh Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I just updated my Freenas 9.10 plugin and am getting this. Any idea when the plugin will be updated with a fix?

@jimmypooh said:
    I just updated my Freenas 9.10 plugin and am getting this. Any idea when the plugin will be updated with a fix?

Are you able to use the Plex Docker on your Freenas ?
    See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/250499/official-plex-media-server-docker-images-getting-started

• fireheadmanfireheadman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited April 20

+1 more. Just updated my FreeNAS Plex plugin and now I am unable to play anything.

Everything worked great before the update.
    I also have Roku, but this screenshot was taken directly from the Plex webapp.

FYI: Knowing the FreeNAS community, even if a fix were available.... we would not see it for a while, unless there is an emergency patch push effort/channel.

Looks like I will be nuking my plex jail and re-installing via pkg plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.5.4.3596

Current version (that is broken)

UPDATE: I went a little too quick in nuking my old plex environment . I forgot to save off my plex watch database and hdhomerun plugins.... no biggie though. I fired up a new jail, installed plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.5.4.3596 via command line this time VS using the FreeNAS plugin deployer.
    This version started up and is currently rebuilding all the metadata. The GOOD NEWS is.... media is transcoding and playing correctly.

• Dion250Dion250 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 113 Plex Pass

Just woke up to this error. Didn't do anything but restart the PC. What gives.

@Dion250 said:
    Just woke up to this error. Didn't do anything but restart the PC. What gives.

There may have been a problem with the internet connection when attempting to download the codec needed. They are downloaded on first use. You are already on version 1.5.5 which is the latest version.

Server logs after restart and attempt to playback the video would help identify the problem
    See
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

Ya I was using Plex-Media-Server-1.2.7.2987 as it is the most stable and working Media Server. But now it doesn't work.

Upgraded to 1.5.5 and it started working. Now I have bluray/theatrical ads on my Clients that I can't disable.

This is ridiculous that we are forced onto 1.5.5 adware.

@Dion250 said:
    Ya I was using Plex-Media-Server-1.2.7.2987 as it is the most stable and working Media Server. But now it doesn't work.

Upgraded to 1.5.5 and it started working. Now I have bluray/theatrical ads on my Clients that I can't disable.

This is ridiculous that we are forced onto 1.5.5 adware.

There is no 1.5.5 adware.

What client apps are you using? I do not expect this to having anything to do with Plex

edited April 21

@sa2000 said:

There is no 1.5.5 adware.

What client apps are you using? I do not expect this to having anything to do with Plex

There is a row of upcoming bluray/theatrical trailers that can't be disabled. Trailers = ads.

edit: Using the android app on Nvidia Shield and Nexus 7. Also have Amazon Fire TV but they don't show up there.

• PLEX6FCPLEX6FC Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited April 29

I'm also getting the same error message, but it's a bit of a strange one for the following reason:

• Episode plays using Rasplex client happily, on my LAN
    • Same episode throws up the error if played on my PC via the Web App from my LAN Plex server (Ubuntu).

Server Version 1.2.7.2987 (I know it needs updating...)

Do the codecs live on the server, or on the client?

If the Rasplex client plays an episode happily, that my PC (via Web App from Server on LAN) won't play, is this because the PC or the Server needs better codecs?

Cheers, Scott.