4K movies buffering FIX

xbox-one

any info about a fix? i think its getting ridicolous how long this is an issue. Its nice that we got a HDR support but its useless with the constant buffering with 4k movies. Everything below 4k works well.

sorry for the LOL…
the buffering is linked to Plex having to transcode the video and your server likely not being strong enough to deal with that.
now as for the reasons of the transcoding, that’s trickier. with 4K, you need to understand which exact combinations of container (mkv, mp4/m4v, avi…), video codecs (h.265, h.264, vc1… – at what base levels), audio codecs (dts, ac3, aac, mp3 – atmos/true hd, 5.1, stereo…) and subtitles (srt, pgs, sub…) is supported at which frame rates and bitrates. It’s quite a jungle and while every tv set, set-top-box / gaming box maker claims they support “4K”, they don’t all support all possible combinations. Some even have issues if the resolution isn’t exactly right.

so get your sources right if your player cannot deal with what you got.

@tom80H said:
sorry for the LOL…
the buffering is linked to Plex having to transcode the video and your server likely not being strong enough to deal with that.
now as for the reasons of the transcoding, that’s trickier. with 4K, you need to understand which exact combinations of container (mkv, mp4/m4v, avi…), video codecs (h.265, h.264, vc1… – at what base levels), audio codecs (dts, ac3, aac, mp3 – atmos/true hd, 5.1, stereo…) and subtitles (srt, pgs, sub…) is supported at which frame rates and bitrates. It’s quite a jungle and while every tv set, set-top-box / gaming box maker claims they support “4K”, they don’t all support all possible combinations. Some even have issues if the resolution isn’t exactly right.

so get your sources right if your player cannot deal with what you got.

even default xbox tv app can play the files without problem LUL
but here you can see hippocrates with “container blabla”, your pc is bad, no problem with the app (more than 6 month for hdr? )
you can defend them, but i dont think a 8700k with gbit is not enough for the server. And containers doesnt matter at all in this case.
If its 4k all of them buffering h265,h264,vc1-.
even kodi on xbox handles them but i prefer plex

you’re barking at the wrong tree if you want to turn this into a fight or shouting contest. if it makes you feel better to throw a tantrum… go for it.
at least in your 2nd post you provided some facts vs. originally just asking for a fix for “it’s not working”.

how do you play the video natively when it is working – directly from the client or also via your network?
your i7-8700k should have a Passmark of 16-17k. that should be good enough to transcode a 4K movie – maybe except for super-high bitrate ones.
mind sharing some details about the videos not working for you (e.g. using “Show Information” within Plex or via the app MediaInfo). if the video has a variable bitrate there can be peaks way above the average bitrate that’ll impact the transcoding. keep in mind Plex won’t use hw transcoding as that’s a plex pass only feature.

sadly Plex is known to fully rely on what the player/host OS tells it it can deal with. this regularly results in unnecessary transcoding. just with 4K the impact is bigger because most CPUs don’t do so well with 4K transcoding.

@adik88 @tom80H I’m noticing this too. My CPU (Haswell, i7-4790k) doesn’t break a sweat with 1080p, but it’s maxed out with 4k content. And, even though I’ve got hardware acceleration turned on, the GPU isn’t really doing much when playing 4k. When playing 1080p however, the GPU is helping more. As a result, buffering is painful especially when skipping ahead or back.

The video I tested was Super-man 3. In 4k it’s got a 75 Mb bitrate, and 1080p is 35 Mb. Here are the log files too. Hopefully they help troubleshoot. Understand that my CPU could be a bit underpowered for 4k, but it seems the Plex transcoder could do a better job balancing the load between the CPU and GPU at least so buffering isn’t as big an issue.

@mbarylski said:
I’m noticing this too. My CPU (Haswell, i7-4790k) doesn’t break a sweat with 1080p, but it’s maxed out with 4k content. And, even though I’ve got hardware acceleration turned on, the GPU isn’t really doing much when playing 4k. When playing 1080p however, the GPU is helping more. As a result, buffering is painful especially when skipping ahead or back.

Understand that my CPU could be a bit underpowered for 4k, but it seems the Plex transcoder could do a better job balancing the load between the CPU and GPU at least so buffering isn’t as big an issue.

from what it looks like, your iGPU is supporting Intel’s Quick Sync Video (which is required by Plex) but only supports a small number of codecs (from what I found, there’s no support for h.265 decoding and only support for avc encoding). the CPU averages at a passmark of ~11.5k which should make it capable to deal with simple/low-bitrate 4K content but won’t make the cut for any actual 4K UHD content (there you’ll end up needing 15-18k).

your best shot is to see if/how your client will accept 4K content and if there’s any restrictions. if you can make it direct-play, that’ll circumvent the entire transcoding mess.

@tom80H Dang it, seriously? Well that stinks. I wasn’t planning to upgrade to a new PC quite yet. I guess I’ll have to try direct play then for 4k videos. I’ve always avoided it, because it causes more problems then it solves. My main issue with direct play is the pink/green artifacting on high bit rate movies. The other issue ironically, is that buffering is worse when using direct play. Go figure.

My GPU is the nVidia GTX 980, but you mentioned “Intel Quick Sync video”. Are we waiting for Plex to implement other hardware acceleration methods besides Intel’s? I thought nVidia had one too. And, any chance the number of codecs will expand? Or would getting a different graphics card help? I doubt it, but have to ask. :smile:

no one mentioned it yet, but try turning off subtitles on 4k and it will probably fine. it will start transcoding with subs

The issue is now when it transcodes 4k HDR to X264 it loses the HDR piece since X264 does not support it and the picture is washed out.

The video file is pretty much useless.

4K HDR was working at one point, it is not working now, I really want Plex to fix it, they say it also has to do with an Xbox kernel issue, I don;t care anymore I want Plex devs to work with MS and get this problem resolved. I pay for plex pass I’d like to fully use the product.