Alternative to Plex

the plain and simple answer is because the native apps have more access than the 3rd party apps have.

this is either because the manufacturer restricts what 3rd party apps can do and have access to (no doubt in the name of security), but also that 3rd parties want to keep things as simple as possible and not have to devote resources to make fully native apps (if they may even be possible).

local apps and local media are something different than remote media streamed over 3rd party apps.

The bad part about TV’s and I want to use them exclusively to a fault. Is if they all can run the same app then why would you need to ever buy a new TV? I’m ignoring the tech side, storage, processors, screen quality, etc…

I can understand that but I was told Plex is using Shaka but when Shaka fails with high bitrate 4k it falls back to the samsung player which has problems with audio but only if used by Plex.

If it cannot be fixed at least state very clearly what it can be done on each platform to manage user expectations. I know it’s a lot of work, I’m still amazed of what the Plex team achieved over the years and I’m grateful for all they’ve done. I think the Plex client can ran on a washing machine if nedeed :grinning: but I guess this is part of the problem. Too many things on too many platforms led to a lost of focus on the main, simple things.

Because the old one doesn’t have HDR or 8K or hexagonal form or whatever they could think next to lure us to the new model. Same is true for any kind of device, just check the audio standard landscape.

Everyone who wants to get their app on a TV is having the same issues. Look at Comcast. With all their resources they still can’t convert their X1 experience in app form, and they are starting their beta testing with the Samsung products. They must be the easiest or the hardest manufacturer to deal with for the same or similar issues that Plex is having.

It makes me wonder how well the UNO is going to interact with the TV’s with the situations you describe?

Sorry but that’s an extremely bad generalisation.
Smart TV apps can be very smart. The app developers are the weak link. If performance is poor It’s because the developers are poor.

Pretty much every Plex smart tv app I have used has been painful to use (at least since I had to retire my Orca driven Samsung back in the day.)

Emby on my LG (2017) though is a different matter.
4K HDR with PGS subtitles direct plays with no issues whatsoever in the Emby app.
Don’t get me wrong I was pretty shocked at how fast it was to navigate, because I too used to think the way that you did, but it’s just really not the case.

I own a Shield, I also owned an ATV 4K for a while before Apple screwed us over passthru.
Sorry but Plex on the Shield is slower than Emby on the Shield.
Emby on the Shield is slower than Emby on the LG.
I feel a video coming on so I can debunk this myth once and for all.
Not to aim it at an individual.
But just to show how brainwashed people have become by Plex abysmal efforts in the Smart TV apps.

Unless Emby screw up badly my last ever hardware upgrade will be an e-arc LG.

I still have an old Samsung and Orca’s app still rules! The only thing missing is Collections.
On a friend’s Sony with Android TV the experience was decent. Tizen and WebOS are in dire need for attention. The main platform used by me and my friends is Samsung (Tizen and several old Orsay, see below) so this lack of love for Smart TV is really annoying.

It’s kind of ironic.
My Samsung TV actually introduced me to Plex all those years ago. Browsing the apps and it’s like “ooh! What’s Plex”

Things are now full circle.
I say “What’s Plex” for a totally different reason.
Until the time comes for an e-arc tv I’m good.
Unlike HDR, Atmos underwhelms me.
My Denon still gives me 7 channels the last two being like a pseudo surround, in both DD and DTS.
I’m at an age I guess, where my ears are going faster than my eyes.

I have a 2018 LG OLED65B8STB and the Plex app works really well. I believe it probably due to the a7 processor from LG. A very snappy UI and does what I ask of it compared to my last LG smart TV on WebOS 1.4 that did the job but a bit clunky. Time has changed the user experience and I’m delighted with the current setup. My 85 year old mother recently bought a 65SK8500PTA a UHD LG TV with the same processor, WebOS 4. The same results so it seems Smart TV’s have evolved in 4 years.

I think that’s the issue.
They evolve just as fast as other devices and get dismissed because, well quite frankly they really were pretty average 3 or 4 years ago.
But times change.
I honestly think the devs on LG have done a great job. Sadly crippled by the UI.
Hopefully following on from the roku update that UI will change. If it’s enough to bring me back from Emby that’s a different matter.

My friend had an older LED model 55UH605V-ZC and we got it running just fine with xplay.
The new models have more juice for sure.

I would really love to see Plex working fine on all this platforms.

Did you actually try it? I believe you might be able to change the region, install, then change the region back again thus not affecting other installed programs. Regardless that is only 1 of I think 3 methods of installation although the easiest for most.

Yes, I did, geofencing is in force for the apps and some get uninstalled and others change content. This is caused by licensing content in different countries and as far as I know it’s even excepted from the anti-geofencing rules in EU. The issue was discussed in the forums over there and Luke confirmed there is no other option until they sort it with Samsung.

That’s almost certainly not the case (not by design, at least), but you haven’t been specific about which clients you mean by “all others”. But definitely a bug if true.

Perhaps you can give some more specifics which would actually allow us to understand which clients have this issue?

Been with Emby now for months and would never look back. EPG is excellent, layout superb, ability to customise most things, playback of live TV excellent and highly configurable. Media library management superb.
All the things I wanted most… and no push towards paid for music streaming in sight.
THE alternative to Plex in my view

Except here you are, looking back.

LOL, you know he meant “would never go back”, not “look back”.
Unless he get’s amnesia he can’t help but look back and reflect on the past. :slight_smile:

Of course I can give you details.

In the last 2 years I had to change the settings with my users after every update for the following apps, because the remote value was reset to 720p 4 mbps again:

Samsung 2016+ (Tizen), PS4, Xbox, Opera TV (Swisscom TV) and LG TV´s are all represented on our server and have these problems after every update.

I reported the problem several times, but unfortunately there was no response. Only with the iOS and AppleTV app this was fixed in one of the last updates. It’s been working there for a few weeks now. Android and Kodi plug-in have always worked since it is used by my users, respectively there have never been problems there before, but one has not been updated for a long time, unfortunately.

Of course it would be nice if I, as the server admin, could set up everything for the users when it comes to the quality of picture and sound, but unfortunately you won’t let that happen. So I have to struggle again and again and by Whattsapp and telephone I have to do this with most of them again and again if I don’t want to cause a server crash. That’s just extremely tedious. I would be happy if you could get it under control.

The new design looks much better by the way, hope it will come soon everywhere. The only thing I notice is that you can’t see the categories. I have for example movies (HD), movies (4k), movies (SD), movie documentaries, anime movies all separate categories, because my users didn’t like filtering, respectively it couldn’t be separated cleanly. So it suits everyone, but with the new design everything looks as if everything is colorfully mixed under movies and also for series etc.
I repeat myself here already several times in the forum. For me the best design is and remains that of the old Samsung TV App from Orca. It is clear and easy to control. I don’t understand why this design is not further optimized.

Lol…It’s actually a ‘term’ which means you are happy you made a change, would never ‘look back’ at the past and consider returning to old ways.
So here I am, letting you know what it means and happy to do so.

Check out their latest blog post. Device Limit for PREMIERE CONNECTIONS was upgraded to 25 connections. Non premiere features don’t count against that.