It says they will add music support before launch. That seems like a major piece which has yet to be included in the betas.
Enjoy testing the bet^h^h^h release. We will not be updating to it for a long while.
I find it interesting that there hasn’t been any public beta release of the Android TV/Fire TV version of the app and they’re talking about a general release to Fire TV in the next few weeks.
Would think they would want to have a beta release beforehand, but I don’t know of any that’s out there.
IIRC, Plex beta releases have never been available through the Amazon app store due to Amazon processes & procedures.
The Amazon app store allows Plex to control when and where updates are available to end users. This lets Plex perform limited rollouts, as mentioned in the Changes Coming to Plex on Fire TV announcement.
I’d think they could release an APK through the website here though that could be sideloaded at least. People that are beta testers normally are OK with sideloading.
The current Plex beta (and stable release) can be sideloaded onto Android TV. https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/plex-inc/plex/plex-find-movies-tv-shows-2026-7-0-release/
Even on APK mirror it mentions that it supports Android TV. It works, from experience, but there are some issues which have stopped me using it daily. Such as, seeking on Live TV doesn’t do anything. Glitches whilst navigating across the UI and slow when opening sub menus. It has vastly improved from 2026.5.0 which crashed when opening Live TV.
Seems to be working. Not the most stable thing, and the issues I have with the new mobile apps are still there. But it’s definitely usable.
EDIT: oh boy, now I see what the Roku folks were harping about. Browsing your own media libraries is multiple selections further than it was before. ![]()
Well at least you can finally hide the star ratings when not using those.
You don’t necessarily need to select the options under the personal libraries and with a click of the remote on the library name it will go into the library itself. Which I don’t feel is too dissimilar to the old layout.
Yes, just figured that out.
Still a strange UI choice. I’ve managed to set it to default to Library View which saves some steps.
I see episode descriptions aren’t loading. But that may be due to me getting my metadata from the new NFO agent which has issues with the new apps (no cast & crew showing, no local cast images, no generic ratings,…)
Anyone received the new version yet on FireTV ?
Nope not yet.
Any news on the fire tv apk for the new one? Can’t seem to find any thing. A download apk be nice.
The new experience app for fire TVs has been released for a couple of weeks. If your device has not updated, then you might try deleting and reinstalling. I believe the rollout is by region, so your area may not have yet received the update.
I own a Chromecast 4K with Google TV and use it a few times a week I but I have questions about its future…
Is Android TV or Google TV in active support by Google and Android? I don’t really understand why Google ended active support for the Chromecast 4K only a few years after launch.
They released their Google TV Streamer relatively recently, but they took some space on the silicon for IoT (Matter/Thread/Whatever…) (I already use a Philips Bridge…).
I feel like adding IoT features is sending a confusing message: “multimedia is only a feature amongst others”. I don’t care about IoT, I just want a multimedia streaming device.
Is Google/Android TV widely available on smart TVs? I don’t own a TV. (Only a monitor…)
I guess I’m wondering whether there’s a future for that ecosystem… Will people be able to stream from their local server in the next decades, or is it something that Google is about to give up?
That seems to be a question more suited for an Android or Google forum, isn’t it?
Yes and no. ![]()
![]()
![]()
First, I don’t really know such forum.
Secondly, I’m worried about the future of the Plex client for Android TV.
I bet you could find one using this site called “Google”.
Development of Android TV apps is largely an extension of existing Android platform development. That’s why the are so many apps. Companies are already doing much of the work for the development of their existing mobile device apps.