Apple TV Plex App - 4K video play issue

Server Version#: 4.160.0
Player Version#: 8.45

I have an 3rd generation Apple TV box and a Windows Plex server. I try to watch any type of 4K movie on Apple TV device (1gbit network, LAN, that is tested, directplay, so no reencoding) … after a couple of time, the video picture start to lagging, audio is OK. When I try to play this video with Infuse app, everything is fine, or when I try to play with Android TV, everything is fine, so only Apple TV more than 1 years old client is the problem …

The beta test program is not available (full), so no new application for 3rd generation Apple TV-s, but I pay every month for Plex …

My question is:

  1. Any good news about new version? or fix for that issue?
  2. Jellyfin + Infuse is cheaper and working solution?

Thank you

I would say make sure in the setting of tv Apple in uk

Format 4k hdr 50hz

Switching off match frame rate dynamic turn off

Match frame on

Or try turning both off

Thank you! I will try it!

Ignore pete.

AppleTV player has been broken for high bitrate 4k for forever now. Threads about this go back 7+ years. The problem has always been Plex never implemented Apple Metal (API for GPU decoding), Infuse did this years ago, that’s why videos play fine on Infuse.

Low bitrate isn’t a problem, high bitrate over taxes the CPU and the unit over heats and the video lags.

There’s been a beta Apple TV player (https://testflight.apple.com/join/zGQJrQDU) for Plex that’s been in testing for what feels like 18+ months and there’s zero communication about when it will get released (if it ever will get released). This new beta player fixes the audio and video issues by incorporating Apple metal, but it will still be far behind Infuse in features (DV8, atmos passthrough, etc).

Check out Rivulet or one of the other third-party apps for tvOS. Plex for AppleTV has been broken for years.

Plozz as well.