Buffer overflows in Plex Commercial Skipper

My interpretation is that he compiled Comskip from Github with fuzzy options and it reports buffer overflows when compiling. I think he presumes the same overflows exist in the Plex comskip since (I think) it was based on the version in Github. But rather than answer questions, he prefers to be vague and argumentative.

@Gloppie if you’re having an issue with commercial detection on Plex please follow the steps outlined in my comment above. If you’re having an issue with compiling Comskip, I suggest you file an issue in the linked GH project you provided.

you know commercial detection is broken. I’m not going to debug it for you.

I have not seen mass reporting of it being broken nor have I observed it myself. If you have evidence that it’s broken in Plex please follow the steps I posted above and share your logs that captured the failure, please.

This still doesnt fix the buffer overflows.

Commercial skip marking IS broken, or at least not very reliable. It can be hit or miss from day to day. It seems to have more trouble with locally produced broadcasts (i.e. local newscasts) vs network programs (national news). For local broadcasts it’s only about 40-50% accurate, but even in national news and network programming it is only about 80%.

You also have other problems. The Samsung Smart TV app cannot backspace reliably (keeps jumping forwards after backspacing), so I’m forced to use AppleTV.

AppleTV forward skip is only 10 seconds, meaning manually skipping a 3:30 commercial break is 21 button pushes. If AppleTV had 30-second forward skip, like the Samsung app, it wouldn’t be so bad. The Samsung app is unusable.

@Atomatth so, you see… others are actually reporting issues with it.

Please fix

Any updates?

@Gloppie As an outsider (Not plex staff) I am going to point out you are being an obnoxious ass.

As has been requested at least three times above, either put out specific documentable specifics, which includes both a POC and reproducible steps to re-create what you think is a security issue, or shut up and stop trolling.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the near future if this thread is locked/deleted and your account is prohibited from future postings due to troll like behavior.

For me it was unreliable many years ago. Mostly I found that the issues arise when there was no black screen for a second or two in between the show and commercials. Comskip would work great when there was a black screen, but did not pick up the show correctly when it went from show to commercial back to back. I found it easier to take a couple of minutes and cut the show manually using a program Lossless (or Losscut?).

@Gloppie Did you go and bring your issue to the Github repo you linked to? I didn’t see an issue that resembled yours there. I agree with @dbirch that if you are going to just be an ass about this that this should be closed. It is just a waste of people’s time being this obtuse.

Is this fixed in the update?

This is now closed because you refuse to follow the instructions given to you to get us the info needed.