Cannot record Live TV through Plex running in Podman

Server Version#: Version 1.43.4.10903
Player Version#: NA
Tuner Make/Model: HDHomerun Quatro
Guide/Lineup name: Local Broadcast Listings
Channel number/Name: Any/all

I’ll go ahead and say I’m not sure if this is the best place but it made the most sense given my troubleshooting issues.

I’m currently building up new Plex server on Debian 13 running Podman. I have my media stored on a NAS and connected via CIFS/SMB on the host. I have been able to spin up a container with Plex via the official Docker image and am able to access my Movies and TV Shows with it, as well as watch antenna TV via my HDHomerun Quatro. However, whenever I try to record anything to it, the recording fails saying it doesn’t have access to the destination. This is the case with the 2 folders on the NAS, but also the case when attempting to record something to the internal drive the container is on instead.

My older, existing Plex server has no issues, but it’s running on the bare metal.

I can create and delete items from the NAS via the host, and I can do it using the podman exec commands from the container. But despite all that, Plex itself will not record.

I’m willing to share my Podman config as well as my Plex logs, though I’m not sure which ones will be most helpful. Also happy to share more about steps taken and the results. Any help would be much appreciated, because I’m pretty much at the end of my rope with this.

The DVR feature is “special” in that it needs Read, Write, Execute on the filesystem (library) location. This will present problems for using Podman.

That’s good to know. Would have not expected execute access as well as rw.
So if I were to set rwx access to the Movies and TV Shows directories that I want to record to, would that potentially fix the issue? Or is it more complicated than that because of Podman’s rootless access? IE, the container will need to run with root or root-like access instead.

So update, based on @pl_5309 's suggestion, I decided to edit the permissions of my NAS’s mount in my /etc/fstab.

Short answer: yes, changing my fstab file so that dir_mode and file_mode were set to 0777 and reloading the system allowed me to record OTA TV as expected. Obviously, this is not ideal from a security perspective, but it does work.

Longer answer: I changed the dir_mode from 0775 → 0777 and reloaded. This changed the error from “doesn’t have access to the destination” to a more generic “something’s wrong with your tuner”. In the logs I was getting an error related to the .grab file. I was able to write files through the container to the grab file path. Then I changed the file_mode from 0664->0777 and reloaded, and, wouldn’t you know it, things started recording as expected.

As stated in the short answer, this is not an ideal solution, because it means just about anything on my system could mess with these files, and I’d rather be following reasonable security practices. So I’m hoping someone who isn’t as new to Podman could potentially comment with a better solution. If not, at least my notes are here for others in the future to find.