DIY synology for plex

server-synology

Hello all
I am thinking on building a xpenology to run my plex server.
Now I am using my mac pro 2012 6 core and a 8 bay enclose with 5 8tB . Last month I lost 2 of my 8tb drives and I didn't have any back up, so that mean i lost almost half of my data.
So I decide to build a synology 16 bay because I like the synology interface.

I was thinking for the case
NORCO 3U Rack Mount 16-Bays SATA/SAS
CUP : 6, 8 or 12 core.
Motherboard: I wanted a motherboard that have 2 M.2 slot sp I can use them for cache
I already have a EVGA 650 gold plus PCU and 15 x 4GB DDR3 RAM
RAID CARD : I also have 3 x It mode LSI 9211-8i SAS SATA 8 port PCI-E 6Gbs controller.

I am not a knowledgeable guy with it comes to hardware. I wanted to know if you guys can help me out or if xpenology is a better os.

why not simply add a halfway current NUC to your setup… you can keep the storage on the synology…

Xpenology gives you the Synology NAS functions. It gives you their RAID technology which would have saved your data

If you intend to use it as a Plex server, the challenge you face (not much of one) is to install DSM 6.0 or higher.
I can not support below DSM 6.0 and provide hardware transcoding support (I’m the NAS guy )

Disk wise, from this point forward, NAS-rated drives only. WD Red Pro give a 5 year warranty. Typical lifespan with constant-on is longer. (Like a light bulb… It only blows when you turn it on , not when left on)

As Tom suggested, there’s the CPU side, XPEnology can be any which works as the NAS function DSM 5.2 or 6+

I recently purchase a DS1817 8 bay I have 6 x 8tb wd red nas and 2 x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO for cache. And I upgrade all my cable to cat 7.

Plus I purchase ASUS XG-U2008 Unmanaged 2-Port 10G and 8-Port Gigabit Switch running 10gb.

And plex still running slow. It take 1 to 1.30 to load a move.

I did a little experiment

I use my apple airport extreme plug the 8 bay enclose month the drive to my mac and set up a couple movies for test. When I try to access the movies using plex it take 3 to 5 second to start playing.

When using the synology DS1817 it take almost 2 mnts to start a movie.

That is why I wanted to build a power nas with more expansion for the future.

I just want to have this plex running without spending any more money.

What motherboard and CPU you guy recommend ?.

The DS1817 has an Atom C2538 CPU. It is not powerful in any way. It cannot do any video transcoding. It is a NAS only which can run PMS and perform audio transcoding. It can not do anything more than that. Synology and QNAP make the most popular NAS products. QNAP offers products with great CPU power to run PMS but Synology does not and likely never will.

I recommend the i7-8700 CPU. It has the ability to hardware decode and encode (should it ever be needed) 4K HDR.
We will not have 8K media for a long time.

I do not know which motherboards allow the i7-8700 GPU to be enabled. This is important The motherboard you purchase must allow the GPU/ASIC in the CPU to be enabled. Some motherboards have on-board video and disable the GPU. Avoid those motherboards.

At Tom I dont thank the NUC will make a difference because before 2 of my drives fail. Plex was running great on the mac pro 2012 6 core. I was getting over 13 treams.
The problem started to happen after I purchased the synology running SHR.

I’m just trying to find a way to keep my data safe and also have plex running with no lacks

Regardless of what machine you have Plex installed on, failing hard drives are failing hard drives. The only way to beat that is to have enough hard drives to backup your other hard drives.

I would advise that you ditch the two SSD’s in the DS1817+ and then fill it with either 10 or 12TB drives. Create two volumes with 4 drives in each disk group. Volume1 = Main data use, Volume2 = Full Backup of volume 1

With each volume using ext4 and SHR, you will have full backup and one disk fault tolerance for each volume.

When you purchase the hard drives, buy each drive from different vendors, because most drives are manufactured in batches and if one drive in a batch fails, it is highly likely that other drives from the same batch will also fail.

Buying from different vendors usually means buying from different batches, which lessens the chance of all drives failing at the same time, giving you the much needed time to replace a faulty drive should one fail.

If you need more drives, you can add two DX517 expansion units or buy another DS1817+ for about the same money.

As far as your files are concerned, you DO NOT have to transcode them, just make sure they are in MP4 H.264/AAC or AVC/AAC format with a High Level code of 4.1 or less and RefFrames = 4 or 5 with an overall bitrate of ~20Mbps. For 4K the overall bitrate should be ~40Mbps, but only if your systems will support it.

That may require you to re-encode some of your files and you can do that easily using HandBrake (free for PC/Mac) or any similar software. Yes it will take some time to re-encode your files, but if you get into a routine where you re-encode say 10 files a night, you will find that you get the job done in next to no time.

You can always replace or re-rip the files if it saves time.

Once the job is done, it’s done! and you wont have to worry about failing transcodes or underpowered NAS or the like, your files will play when you want them to and you will not have to fiddle and waste time trying to make things work which usually means re-encoding the file/s anyway.

It also puts far less stress on your NAS or other server machines which allows them to run cooler and use far less power than they would when being forced to transcode.

@trumpy81
Thank you for the info.
I am using a ds1817 not the plus one. I wish I got the ds1718+

The 2 fail hard driver where in the 8 bay enclose usb 3.
ather the drivers fail, I decide to purchase the ds1718.

Before that the system was running great for 5 year. With not transcode issues.

I am going to try your advice but I want to build a back up nas to backup the ds1817.

ChuckPA recommends an i7-8700 do you know what’s the best motherboard with 2 M.2 I can use.

I would recommend you buy another DS1817, or even the DS1817+. The cost to build your XPEnology rig would be far greater than the cost of another NAS, especially if you are going to use a multi-drive chassis like the NORCO 3U Rack Mount unit.

The Synology NAS are very reliable and they come with warranty, the XPEnology build would not have much in the way of warranty.

The added bonus would be, if one of the NAS breaks (blows up), you have the other one to fall back on, just swap the drives and you will still have access to all your data from either NAS. It could not get much easier than that.

Invest your money in larger NAS rated hard drives, which you would still need to buy even with the XPEnology build.

Trust. So that mean I have to look for a qnap

Question.

Can you upgrad the CPU on QNAP TS-1685 to a 6 core cpu?

Or updagre cpu on TS-1677X ??

The TS-1685 can be ordered with a 4 or 6 core Xeon, neither of which will support Hardware Acceleration for Plex.

The TS-1677X is Rizen powered, whch would mean no Hardware Acceleration for Plex with that either.

Hello
Does anyone know what mini itx motherboard is compatible with intel E5649 ???

The mini ITX H57 suits that processor, but good luck finding one since they date back to 2009/10.

@jhreg11 said:
Hello
Does anyone know what mini itx motherboard is compatible with intel E5649 ???

Looking up the E5649 on Google tells us it’s a LGA-1366
Searching google again shows a bunch of motherboard options.

Google doesn’t give me any mini itx motherboard. So far I am lost.

If you can’t find it on google, then you’ll have to make another selection. This is the “Y”(yourself) part of DIY and that’s the fun in hunting down everything you need or finding the best you can get and still making it work the way you want. :slight_smile:

@trumpy81 said:
I would recommend you buy another DS1817, or even the DS1817+. The cost to build your XPEnology rig would be far greater than the cost of another NAS, especially if you are going to use a multi-drive chassis like the NORCO 3U Rack Mount unit.

The Synology NAS are very reliable and they come with warranty, the XPEnology build would not have much in the way of warranty.

The added bonus would be, if one of the NAS breaks (blows up), you have the other one to fall back on, just swap the drives and you will still have access to all your data from either NAS. It could not get much easier than that.

Invest your money in larger NAS rated hard drives, which you would still need to buy even with the XPEnology build.

The Synology stuff is expensive. They are nice but the support from them is kind of crap.
I am running an esx cluster with a synology DS1813+ and a DS1815+. I have a couple of hacked together ESX servers as well. I am running 150TB+ currently.

If you want to run an ESX cluster for the cheap go get a off lease server. An old Dell r710 will cost you about 400 bux.
https://www.garlandcomputers.com/?product_cat=poweredge-r710
Look for hardware deals for external drives you can “Shuck”. I have bought about 16 8TB drives this way for around 130 bux each and they have had WD red drives in them. The other 8TB drives had new helium filled drives. Both sets have 256MB of cache. Buy one before you buy the rest because sometimes the drive types vary.

Plex Perks actually had a pretty awesome discount coupon that I used. Setting up deal alerts at slickdeals is usually how I find the deals on hard drives.

Dont upgrade to ESX 6.7 on the older hardware … I will cry about processors not being supported for much longer.

@jhreg11 said:
Hello all
I am thinking on building a xpenology to run my plex server.
Now I am using my mac pro 2012 6 core and a 8 bay enclose with 5 8tB . Last month I lost 2 of my 8tb drives and I didn’t have any back up, so that mean i lost almost half of my data.
So I decide to build a synology 16 bay because I like the synology interface.

I was thinking for the case
NORCO 3U Rack Mount 16-Bays SATA/SAS
CUP : 6, 8 or 12 core.
Motherboard: I wanted a motherboard that have 2 M.2 slot sp I can use them for cache
I already have a EVGA 650 gold plus PCU and 15 x 4GB DDR3 RAM
RAID CARD : I also have 3 x It mode LSI 9211-8i SAS SATA 8 port PCI-E 6Gbs controller.

I am not a knowledgeable guy with it comes to hardware. I wanted to know if you guys can help me out or if xpenology is a better os.

The Synology stuff is expensive. They are nice but the support from them is kind of crap. (Referenced to someone else.)
I am running an esx cluster with a synology DS1813+ and a DS1815+. I have a couple of hacked together ESX servers as well. I am running 150TB+ currently.

I am currently running 6 ESX VMs running Synology DSM. They work great. 4K not so much because it always wants to transcode the audio. (Why have 4k if your not going to have ATMOS etc. Am i right… of course I am.)

I usually have production VMs and a dev vm or two. Some Plex updates dont work very well so I create a snap on the Dev vm then install the new version and test it. If it doesnt work well or i dont want to mess with it anymore is roll it back. Same for Sickrage, Couch potato etc.

If you want to run an ESX cluster for the cheap go get a off lease server. An old Dell r710 will cost you about 400 bux.
https://www.garlandcomputers.com/?product_cat=poweredge-r710
Look for hardware deals for external drives you can “Shuck”. I have bought about 16 8TB drives this way for around 130 bux each and they have had WD red drives in them. The other 8TB drives had new helium filled drives. Both sets have 256MB of cache. Buy one before you buy the rest because sometimes the drive types vary.

Plex Perks actually had a pretty awesome discount coupon that I used. Setting up deal alerts at slickdeals is usually how I find the deals on hard drives.

Dont upgrade to ESX 6.7 on the older hardware … I will cry about processors not being supported for much longer.

@jhreg11 said:
What motherboard and CPU you guy recommend ?.

You can buy a server for cheap. For example https://www.garlandcomputers.com/?product_cat=poweredge-r710.
I have a couple running in an esx cluster. You can install DSM in an VM if you were so inclined.