Docker image update schedule

server-docker

When will the docker version be updated to the latest Plex server version? Current image is behind.

Agreed from what I can see in the official docker hub

The last build version
1.12.3.4973-215c28d86
When the plexpass version is at least two builds ahead at

The current image is not behind. The beta versions are for PlexPass users only but there is no way to impose such a restriction on docker hub, so no image will be posted there containing non-public versions of the server.

Yes it was, I saw an update this morning. You can actually tag the docker image repo with certain builds like plexpass: https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/tags/

Yes it was

No it wasn’t. You only think that because of a change between when I posted my response and when you looked: Shortly after my response, 1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65 was made public, as is evident in the announcement topic: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/62832/plex-media-server#latest Then, and only then, was an image made containing that version of the server. At the time of my response, 1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65 was PlexPass only and 1.12.3.4973-215c28d86 was the latest public version of the server (I explicitly checked before posting). Since the latest public version matched the latest version available on docker hub, the image was not behind.

You can actually tag the docker image repo with certain builds like plexpass

I’m not sure what you are meaning about this but if you are intending to say that this solves the problem of restricting versions of the server intended for Plex Pass users only, this accomplishes nothing to that effect. We cannot make docker hub restrict who can grab certain images so as a result:

no image will be posted there containing non-public versions of the server

I was under the impression that you were using the plex pass auth token to validate that the user has access to the plexpass versions of the application and the application would update itself on start/stop of the container as stated below on the docker hub website(https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/)

"In addition to the standard version and latest tags, two other tags exist: plexpass and public. These two images behave differently than your typical containers. These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution. They also run the update check whenever the container is restarted. To update the version in the container, simply stop the container and start container again when you have a network connection. The startup script will automatically fetch the appropriate version and install it before starting the Plex Media Server.

The public restricts this check to public versions only where as plexpass will fetch Plex Pass versions. If the server is not logged in or you do not have Plex Pass on your account, the plexpass tagged images will be restricted to publicly available versions only."

@themana said:
I was under the impression that you were using the plex pass auth token to validate that the user has access to the plexpass versions of the application and the application would update itself on start/stop of the container as stated below on the docker hub website(https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/)

"In addition to the standard version and latest tags, two other tags exist: plexpass and public. These two images behave differently than your typical containers. These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution. They also run the update check whenever the container is restarted. To update the version in the container, simply stop the container and start container again when you have a network connection. The startup script will automatically fetch the appropriate version and install it before starting the Plex Media Server.

The public restricts this check to public versions only where as plexpass will fetch Plex Pass versions. If the server is not logged in or you do not have Plex Pass on your account, the plexpass tagged images will be restricted to publicly available versions only."

What I tried to say but was shot down on :smile: by an employee… So I don’t know?

@themana said:
I was under the impression that you were using the plex pass auth token to validate that the user has access to the plexpass versions of the application and the application would update itself on start/stop of the container …

This is the behavior of the public and beta/plexpass tagged containers only. These images do not contain a version of the server within them; it’s downloaded on demand using the update mechanisms as is evident by text you quoted:

These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution.

Additionally you can confirm this difference by looking at the image size difference between the tags: https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/tags/

Both of you started off mentioned the images which are tagged with explicit versions claiming they are out of date (though they were the current latest publicly available version), which was wrong and I was correcting that misconception.

So I’m a bit confused. I originally was using the beta tag with my docker-compose.yml file but it didn’t seem to be pulling the latest release down on stop/start, so I went back and re-read the docker readme and read:

These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution.

I thought I had my file wrong and I needed to remove the beta tag completely and/or use the latest tag instead and it solely relied on seeing my account, that I’m a Plex Pass user and would pull the latest update that way. But I can’t get that to happen either. So I keep seeing the “There’s an update available” message, but I can’t get it to pull the latest update.

So, being a Plex Pass user, having my settings set to use the Beta update channel, what tag do I use on my docker-compose.yml file?

UPDATE: I ended up adding the plexpass tag and that seemed to do it.

Here’s my (now updated) docker-compose portion for Plex:

plex:
    container_name: plex
    image: plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass
    restart: always
    network_mode: host
    hostname: Plex
    dns:
    volumes:
      - ${USERDIR}/docker/plex/config:/config
      - ${USERDIR}/docker/plex/transcode:/transcode
      - /media/Plex:/media/Plex