Error Code: s3015 (Media)

server-windows

Has anybody else been getting this error message? Have had this now and it stops playback and just buffers. My internet connection fine, and the file is a standard mp4 and works fine as a basic file when played.

Any guidance much appreciated.

I have as well

Me too sometimes it's s3016 and sometimes s3015.

Seems to be an issue with Chrome as it works fine if you use Firefox or Edge.

Been noticing this error watching DVR'd content in Safari (11.0.3)

I have been getting this error as well. It just started in the last couple weeks. It happens when playing content remotely on safari. The movie will continue playing in the background until I close the error box and the whole player will close. It occurs about once every 15 minutes or so during a film.

Same issue, only one movie. 1080 H264, but other movies at same rate are fine. Tried on iMac, Nvidia, ios, none will play

Same issue here only I get S3016(media) . using an xboxONE first generation, issue started on 4/27/2018 been using plex with no issues until now. Tried running on chrome and IE with same results. uninstalled and reinstalled app on xbox and plex server on pc. Issue is still not resolved. any other ideas?

I have the same issue as of today. Nothing will play without the error: Error code: s3015 (Media)

Same here, oddly enough with h265 files exclusively. Sometimes the file will continue playing for quite a while, maybe until the cache is emptied?

I too, am seeing this now. Saw it at the end of one TV show and in the middle of one movie. I'm using Chrome. I tried re-encoding the movie with handbrake and it didn't happen, but at about the same point it stopped playing for a moment. Is it a problem in the decoder maybe?

More info: It only happens in Chrome and when playing original quality. If I set quality to Auto the problem goes away. Doesn't happen in Edge at any quality including the original quality.

My guess would be the decoder doesn't like something in the video stream. I have the file that causes the problem if one of the developers wants it.

I also have been getting this error in the Safari and Chrome browsers on my Mac Desktop (same network as my server)
happens about 10 min into most videos and run's for about a minute after the popup error show then the stream crashed/quits (quits immediately if you click ok); seems this issue/error has been around for a long time and is getting worse. havn't found an exact explanation of the error code; must be very generic in meaning.

Are the connections for the server and the Mac Desktop using ethernet cable or wifi ?

Diagnostic logs would help get more info about the errors

Enable Debug Logging on the server - see
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201643703-reporting-issues-with-plex-media-server/

Test with different browsers and with hosted Plex Web app (through https://app.plex.tv/desktop) and also bundled - directly on the server through http://127.0.0.1:32400/web

Enable Plex Web logging - note each browser and url used would have its own settings
See this support article for how to enable logging in Plex Web https://support.plex.tv/articles/201611836-plex-web-app-logs/

When the error arises. capture a screenshot of the error and also note down the time
and then Capture Plex Web logs = see same article https://support.plex.tv/articles/201611836-plex-web-app-logs/
and capture the server logs - see https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

Sorry @sa2000, should have done that in the first place instead of just complaining :# I attached the logs, and here’s a screenshot from within seconds of the error message appearing (2018-06-10 at 11.09.49 CEST)

2018-06-10 at 11.09.49 CEST

Also I narrowed the appearance down further. When playing directly from the local IP of the server (10.10.9.3 in the logs), everything works fine. When playing via hosted PWA at app.plex.tv, the error message comes up within about a minute from starting the playback, but only in Safari! Chrome keeps playing without a problem. PMS version is 1.13.2.5154-fd05be322 on FreeBSD.

I hope this helps you guys get to the bottom of it. Cheers!

@janw said:
Sorry @sa2000, should have done that in the first place instead of just complaining :# I attached the logs, and here’s a screenshot from within seconds of the error message appearing (2018-06-10 at 11.09.49 CEST)

2018-06-10 at 11.09.49 CEST

Also I narrowed the appearance down further. When playing directly from the local IP of the server (10.10.9.3 in the logs), everything works fine. When playing via hosted PWA at app.plex.tv, the error message comes up within about a minute from starting the playback, but only in Safari! Chrome keeps playing without a problem. PMS version is 1.13.2.5154-fd05be322 on FreeBSD.

I hope this helps you guys get to the bottom of it. Cheers!

Thank you very much for the excellent logs and narrowing your problem to Safari and the hosted app - version 3.55.3 through a WAN connection.

I can see playback started at 11:06:41 from position at 8 minutes / 43 seconds and playback was ok for about 3 minutes and failing at 11:09:36

For the bundled web app test, I can see it starting at 11:01:58 starting at position 4 minutes and 15 seconds and playing for about 5 minutes up to 11:06:28

Were these multiple safari browser sessions on the same computer ?
The error happened around the time the server was tidying up the earlier transcode action for the bundled web app - 3 minutes after stopping the earlier test… It may be just a coincidence.

Could you leave more than 5 minutes between the 2 tests and close down all browser sessions before starting a new test using the hosted web app

If the problem arises within 3 minutes of start as happened before then would need a short 6 minute clip that demonstrates the problem - the file that was used was
/media/tvshows/Bloodline/Season 3/Bloodline S03E03 Part 26 WEBDL-1080p x265.mkv

Plex Server Version 3.55.3
Windows 10 64-bit

An error occurred trying to play "Episode 2".
Error code: s3015 (Media)

I am seeing this issue when attempting to watch live TV through Plex DVR.
Problem occurs in Chrome, Edge and FireFox.
Problem only occurs with remote view - local browser on the Plex server can stream live TV fine.

@sa2000 said:
I can see playback started at 11:06:41 from position at 8 minutes / 43 seconds and playback was ok for about 3 minutes and failing at 11:09:36

For the bundled web app test, I can see it starting at 11:01:58 starting at position 4 minutes and 15 seconds and playing for about 5 minutes up to 11:06:28

Were these multiple safari browser sessions on the same computer ?

Indeed; same machine, same browser.

Could you leave more than 5 minutes between the 2 tests and close down all browser sessions before starting a new test using the hosted web app

If the problem arises within 3 minutes of start as happened before then would need a short 6 minute clip that demonstrates the problem - the file that was used was
/media/tvshows/Bloodline/Season 3/Bloodline S03E03 Part 26 WEBDL-1080p x265.mkv

This is getting pretty interesting … and frustrating! Using the aforementioned file I have not been able to reproduce the error more than once. At that attempt I forgot activate the Web console, so I have no log from that time. Took about 1:15 minutes from the beginning of the file for the error to appear. After that (even with leaving long enough pauses between attempts, the error did not appear again. I attached a log from the first attempt, in which the file played fine for over 10 minutes before I stopped the playback (webcon_safari_20180612_1659.log).

Btw all other previously error-prone files play fine now, too. Any other ideas or things you want me to try?

I am aware of potential issues when having multiple instances of Plex Web with same browser on the same machine - hence i wanted to have this complication removed from any test

I am getting this error as well with LiveTV and DVR. My setup is Windows10 as the server and client being Mac OSX. Started a few months ago and now trying to watch World Cup action and can't do it in my office.

John

I’m back with another set of logs — without even trying. :grin: This time I am certain that the browser session was the only one connected to Plex, and the error was reproducible 2 times. After that it’s playing fine for now.

Let me know if this helps. Cheers.

plexlog20180323_0031.zip (8.5 KB)

EDIT: The error in the log took place at 00:31 my time, i.e. 22:31 UTC.