How do I add a podcast by URL (not found in search)

podcasts

How do I add a podcast by URL? Some podcasts, like CNN 10 do not show up when doing a search.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/podcasts-overview/

@liskobrian said:
How do I add a podcast by URL? Some podcasts, like CNN 10 do not show up when doing a search.

If you’re using Android mobile or iOS, just go to the bottom of the main podcasts page and tap Add a Podcast by URL.

Weirdly on Plex Web I had a button that said add podcast by url, I added one and now the button has gone.

@Ascully said:
Weirdly on Plex Web I had a button that said add podcast by url, I added one and now the button has gone.

Same; this must be a bug in the beta.

@ithorien said:

@Ascully said:

Which browser did you use?

@kinoCharlino said:

@ithorien said:

@Ascully said:

Oh you know I did not try on a diff one, let me try Firefox; tried Chrome.

EDIT: Sure thing, works in Firefox, broken in Chrome.

And of course the podcast I wanted to add won’t add either. Figures lol.

I’m trying to add a podcast by URL and it just gives an error message.

@ejdme said:

I’ve added feed://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/feed to our list of RSS feeds failing to add manually.

@kinoCharlino said:

@ejdme said:

I’ve added feed://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/feed to our list of RSS feeds failing to add manually.

If you could kindly take a look at this one-
http://rss.earwolf.com/how-did-this-get-made

@ithorien said:

@kinoCharlino said:

@ithorien said:

@Ascully said:

I just tried reproducing this in Chrome and Safari. Manually added a podcast in each browser and the + microphone button in the upper right remained. You don’t see it at first because you are taken to the podcast show page right after adding. But going back to the main podcast page in Plex Web reveals the icon. Tried refreshing and it never went away in either Chrome or Safari. I’m wondering if its an intermittent issue.

@kinoCharlino said:

@ithorien said:

@kinoCharlino said:

@ithorien said:

@Ascully said:

I just tried reproducing this in Chrome and Safari. Manually added a podcast in each browser and the + microphone button in the upper right remained. You don’t see it at first because you are taken to the podcast show page right after adding. But going back to the main podcast page in Plex Web reveals the icon. Tried refreshing and it never went away in either Chrome or Safari. I’m wondering if its an intermittent issue.

I only added a podcast “automatically”; ever since, no matter what navigation I use, the mic icon is gone.

@ithorien said:
I only added a podcast “automatically”; ever since, no matter what navigation I use, the mic icon is gone.

By “automatically” you mean from the catalog provided? Try to do a force refresh on the browser, log out and back in again, and see if you get it. You should see this on the main podcast page here: https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/provider/tv.plex.provider.podcasts.

@kinoCharlino said:

@ithorien said:

By “automatically” you mean from the catalog provided? Try to do a force refresh on the browser, log out and back in again, and see if you get it. You should see this on the main podcast page here: https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/provider/tv.plex.provider.podcasts.

Ok so force refresh did it; my bad, I should know better with how much time I spend in Chrome. If you don’t mind looking at my second issue as well I’d appreciate it, the one regarding the How Did This Get Made? podcast.

@ithorien said:
Ok so force refresh did it; my bad, I should know better with how much time I spend in Chrome. If you don’t mind looking at my second issue as well I’d appreciate it, the one regarding the How Did This Get Made? podcast.

Right on! Certainly if we could reproduce this, we would be alerting engineering right away. Regarding How Did This Get Made, it is an Earwolf podcast and we’re seeing that none of them are successfully adding. We have an open internal ticket for this and engineering will review it.

@kinoCharlino said:

@ithorien said:

Right on! Certainly if we could reproduce this, we would be alerting engineering right away. Regarding How Did This Get Made, it is an Earwolf podcast and we’re seeing that none of them are successfully adding. We have an open internal ticket for this and engineering will review it.

Awesome, thanks!

I was able to add missing podcast by using the itunes podcast link for each specific podcast. In iOS you can use the podcast app to search for the podcast, and then use the share option and select copy link and use that link for the podcast url. It worked for all my missing podcasts

@kinoCharlino said:

@ejdme said:

Is there anywhere we can see the status of these manual addition errors or do we just have to keep trying to add it until it works? Thanks.

The Add Podcast by URL button disappears every now and then in IE11 (at work… don’t laugh). In order to restore it, I have to go back to plex.tv and sign in fresh.

@jjunkiee said:

@kinoCharlino said:

@ejdme said:

Is there anywhere we can see the status of these manual addition errors or do we just have to keep trying to add it until it works? Thanks.

UPDATE: I managed to get the “http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/feed/” added to plex by using the URL “http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/feed/index.xml” instead.

It looks like the way plex is parsing the links to the rss feed file requires a full absolute URL down to file extension. I also tried adding “http://rss.earwolf.com/how-did-this-get-made” but i couldn’t guess the file type so it didn’t work.

Hope this helps other users and the engineers at plex.