How to Change the IP of a Media server and plex username/profile name

server-raspberry-pi

Hi all,

Ok, so I build a flex media server at home on a raspberry pi on 192.168.0.61 (a local network IP) and then initially when I started it up used my username/password,
Copied all the media onto it that I wanted and took it yo me friend, we now placed it on his network... 192.168.1.20 and entered his plex username, password. well Nothing. if we go to 192.168.1.20:32400/web then it can't find the media server.

How do I change the underlying OS IP and the plex profile username/password of a deployed media server

G

For OS IP changes, kindly consult the OS documentation (Google is your friend).

To completely change the ownership of a server

1. Stop PMS
  2. Delete Preferences.xml (Soft reset)
  3. Start PMS
  4. Open the web page
  5. Be greeted by the Sign-In and Got-It pages
  6. Perform all steps EXCEPT do not create any library sections. These are intact and will be seen again when exiting the setup wizard.
  7. Upon arriving at the dashboard, proceed to Settings - Server and complete preferences recovery.

thanks ChuckPA
G

hmmm, strange, I've actually ended now reimaging my Raspberry, new OS, reinstalled Plex, when i open the IP address it actually knows the previous login credentials, it asks for the previous supplied pin... so this seems to be the local PMS talking to plex.tv site.

How do I unlink/reset the username from the ip address, or totally deleting the username on plex so that i can recreate it.

G

Your browser is caching the credentials. It's not Plex.

Ignore what's there and proceed as if new.

Also note that Plex Server is NOT supported on Raspberry Pi.

hmmm, I'd agree but why is it asking for a pin, and knows / accepts the pin.
the pin implies it's talking to bigger Flex.tv as there is no way it will know it still.

it does not even ask for username, that it takes as the single profile so starts logging in as that.

G

@ChuckPA said:

and how is this supposed to be helpful?

G

@flow said:
Also note that Plex Server is NOT supported on Raspberry Pi.

@georgelza said:
hmmm, I'd agree but why is it asking for a pin, and knows / accepts the pin.
the pin implies it's talking to bigger Flex.tv as there is no way it will know it still.

it does not even ask for username, that it takes as the single profile so starts logging in as that.

G

@ChuckPA said:

If it's asking for a PIN, that means it was part of a Plex Home before. You will need to sign in to your friend's machine again as you (temporarily claim it back), change its name temporarily, then delete the Plex Home

Once completely disconnected from the Plex Home configuration, perform the soft reset as we did above.

hmmm, not understanding totally the Plex Home. let me explain the steps I did a bit more, might highlight where i went wrong and also raise/exclude options.
1 build plex server at my house, IP 192.168.1.61 and use my plex credentials, copy media over
2 take to friends house, get onto network, IP 192.168.1.20, switch on, still my credentials, it now just said searching for media server, should prob have stopped here and first fixed it... hindsight...
3 go onto plex web site on his laptop (another computer) and create plex account via www.plex.tv
4 go back to Raspberry pi, reboot, when it came back on we said log in as someone else and provided his new credentials, still just searching for PMS.
5. somewhere along here, looking to see if i can find a IP address in the the settings settings I saw pin, selected that and provided a pin,
6. after a reboot, with some trying around different things it now started asking for a pin to log in.
7 get home, used my credentials and previous 192.168.0.61, all working... so know it's something to do with either his credentials or IP.
8. created a vlan on my network quickly, 192.168.1.0 and assign 192.168.1.20 to the plex via MAC Bind.
9. rebooted and tried to log in as him (confirmed plex now has the 192.168.1.20 IP at OS, yes...) and back to same problems.
10. Complete rebuild Raspberry, as in format memory card, reinstalled Raspberrian, reinstall plex.
11. when it comes up, it already knows about his username and just goes through to the enter pin, that then leads to a screen where it spins it's wheels looking for PMS.

I've now gone and trying to totally delete the plex profile from plex web site.
basically starting over. I'm at work, I rebuild the Raspberry last night again before I went to bed and will re-install the Flex software when I get home.

G

Between steps 3 & 4.

3a. Stop PMS
3b. Delete Preferences.xml
3c. Start PMS

Modify step 4: Open the IP ( http://ip.addr.of.pi:32400/web ) Sign in as his new name, and 'claim it. SKIP library creation. When you arrive at the Dashboard, everything created under the old owner (username) will be there waiting for you.

Does this help?

The entire procedure should be:

1. Stop PMS
  2. Change IP of machine
  3. Delete Preferences.xml
  4. Start PMS
  5. Claim under new username but do not add new libraries

:) guess that should have been the steps... but as I've now wiped the memory card, reinstalled the OS, reinstalled the PMS software, will see whats waiting for me tonight when I get home.
Note some where between #8 and #11 I did the delete Preferences.xml as you previously indicated, rebooted the raspberry, PMS came up, already knew the username, I entered the pin and it then went into the searching for PMS. still wondering what communication there is between the PMS during log in and www.plex.tv and if i can't get Plex to totally delete the current username/email address profile.

G

CheckPA, please check PM
G