Is Hulu in jeopardy?

I love that Hulu is available within Plex, but since it was taken off of Boxee and XBMC (back in 2009), is it in jeopardy for Plex?

probably not, but remember that HULU is in the process of changing their whole structure of how they deliver content. most likely it’ll be a subscription model.

Boxee had to change their Hulu integration because they were mirroring some of Hulu’s data on their own servers. I wasn’t aware XBMC had a Hulu plug-in, but if they did, and it got broken, it was probably due to how XBMC has to access the videos themselves (it needs to grab the video stream directly rather than going through Hulu’s Flash player). Plex’s method of playing the videos is harder to block (and there’s less incentive, since we aim to keep advertisements content providers wish to show intact), and although we know they’re aware of Plex (and the plug-in), we’ve never been contacted by anyone at Hulu complaining about it or asking us to change or remove it.

Thanks, good to know.



There is always talk of Hulu changing, but the latest I heard was that the subscription model only applies to XBOX and iPad, and/or required to view older content (shows older than the past five episodes). The source on this is unknown, so who knows?



I only hope they don’t increase consumer cost without increasing consumer benefit. Charging people for something that was once free w/out offering added value is usually a bad business move.





Source:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198395/hulu_subscription_plans_coming_to_xbox_and_ipad.html?tk=hp_new

http://www.dailytech.com/995Month+Hulu+Subscription+Service+Coming+in+May+Free+Service+Will+Remain/article18193.htm

I’ve also added NBC, fox,fx, and USA specific sites in case hulu goes all pay. Those sites will always have free ids.