Local extras: inline vs subfolders. Which do you prefer?

I’m wondering out of the two different ways that we can organize our local extras which is the more popular option.

I personally prefer going the inline route as I’m a minimalist and, if I can use fewer folders to achieve the same thing, then that’s what I’m going to do!

Also, I like that with inline you can see all related content at once when browsing to the movie’s folder. I feel that being able to simultaneously see all the local extra files makes it easier to set up the -Extra_Type extensions.

What about you guys? Are you in the inline or the subfolder camp? :grinning:

subfolder… keeps things tidier if you got a lot of extras for a movie

This. And that way you may be able to avoid renaming all those files and add the -[extratype] suffix to their file name.

I use whichever approach is less labour for a particular movie.
Keep in mind that you cannot mix the methods within the same movie.

I see where you guys are coming from. I’ve already changed my mind and have joined the subdirectory camp.

My “A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)” folder contains 16 items, including the movie itself. It’s kind of messy and extras with the same suffix aren’t grouped like with like when sorted alphabetically, which makes it hard to see what’s going on. Even spotting the movie itself can be tricky when it’s surrounded by numerous other files

I’ve made a folder with the eight recognized subdirectories, to use as templates, and will copy these empty directories into movie folders with the corresponding extras as needed, avoiding any possibility of typos. It also means I won’t have to remember the recognized subdirectory names or even look them up:

image

This is so much easier than messing around with tags and looks cleaner too!

I did like inline but I wanted everything tidier so I switched to subfolders. When I did, none of my locally stored trailers would play before my movies. I switched the trailers back to inline and now they’ll play before my movies but they won’t play when I click the “trailer” icon at the top. Soooo, I just can’t win.

You need to refresh metadata after changing the method.