Media server stuck on "Starting"?

server-mac

I'm really sorry everyone... I recently sent out an update which turned out to have some problems, and prevents the media server from starting. By the time we realised, it'd already been downloaded by several users. We've taken the bad update offline, so it won't affect anyone else.

If you've been hit by this problem, you can resolve it by taking the following steps:

• Quit the media server by selecting the Plex icon in your Mac's menu bar, and choosing "Quit" from the drop-down menu.

• Open the folder "/Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins" in Finder.

• Delete "Framework.bundle", and "System.bundle" or move them to the trash.

• Restart Plex Media Server.

After that, everything should be back to normal. Please post in this thread if you're still having issues, and again I sincerely apologise for any trouble this has caused.

Edited by sa2000: 

The instructions above only apply to Plex Media Server releases before version 0.9.12.5

Awesome! It worked :)

Hmmm. Looking at my updates and it looks like my machine did get the updates (System & Framework), but I don't seem to be having any issues starting. Was there another update that went out that fixed the problem or am I just lucky?

Thanks, that solved it indeed.

P.S.: awesome that I saw the notion on Twitter; really powerful to notify people like that.

[quote name='kcmedic' date='10 September 2010 - 03:52 PM' timestamp='1284169940' post='105916']

Hmmm. Looking at my updates and it looks like my machine did get the updates (System & Framework), but I don't seem to be having any issues starting. Was there another update that went out that fixed the problem or am I just lucky?

[/quote]

"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

You were indeed lucky, we nuked the update after we got the first report from pumpkin that it screwed things up!

Thanks for the notify on twitter. Due to this wrong update Plex Online wasn't doing anything anymore. So I guessed it would be be this problem. Et voilà, it worked :)

Thanks

Elan & Jam - Thanks for the update and instructions to resolve, as I was lucky enough to get the borked Framework update.

Lovin .9 so far, great work.

Chris

Just happened to me... Anytime something breaks, its pretty quick and easy to find the thread for it on the forums lol! GJ!

yea, thanks for the quick note on twitter. Really a great way of getting an alert out

NOTE: It says "Restart Plex Media Server," not just "Restart Plex."

Got the bad update, took me about 3 mins to research the issue, find this topic and fix it. Thanks for the great support, team!

Also, Plex for iOS feels mucho snappier since the update :)

This is something that never should happen.

Please add an option to disable automatic updates in the future.

[quote name='Suhr' date='10 September 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1284192263' post='106054']

This is something that never should happen.

[/quote]

Yup, totally agree with you. We've instituted a better process over here to make sure it doesn't happen again.

[quote name='Jam' date='11 September 2010 - 03:00 AM' timestamp='1284166810' post='105903']

I'm really sorry everyone... I recently sent out an update which turned out to have some problems, and prevents the media server from starting. By the time we realised, it'd already been downloaded by several users. We've taken the bad update offline, so it won't affect anyone else.

If you've been hit by this problem, you can resolve it by taking the following steps:

[list=1]

[]Quit the media server by selecting the Plex icon in your Mac's menu bar, and choosing "Quit" from the drop-down menu.

[
]Open the folder "/Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins" in Finder.

[]Delete "Framework.bundle", or move it to the trash.

[
]Restart Plex Media Server.

[/list]

After that, everything should be back to normal. Please post in this thread if you're still having issues, and again I sincerely apologise for any trouble this has caused.

[/quote]

Is there a way to start the PMS without starting Plex? There's an option to Quit PMS but the only way I have found to restart it is to strart Plex.

//Erik

[quote name='Eriksson' date='10 September 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1284196235' post='106092']

Is there a way to start the PMS without starting Plex? There's an option to Quit PMS but the only way I have found to restart it is to strart Plex.

[/quote]

Yes, PMS is a regular application, you can find it in ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/Plex Media Server.app

Hi, I had the same problem. After deleting the "Framework.bundle" the server started again, but now i got another problem.

When i try to start the Plex app, i only get an empty plex window, its grey. Any ideer?

[quote name='Maxter' date='10 September 2010 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1284199132' post='106113']

Hi, I had the same problem. After deleting the "Framework.bundle" the server started again, but now i got another problem.

When i try to start the Plex app, i only get an empty plex window, its grey. Any ideer?

[/quote]

That usually means you're using remote desktop and the monitor/TV isn't on. On OS X, the display needs to be turned on for Open GL apps to work.

[quote name='elan' date='11 September 2010 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1284199349' post='106116']

That usually means you're using remote desktop and the monitor/TV isn't on. On OS X, the display needs to be turned on for Open GL apps to work.

[/quote]

:-D Ahhh. i should have known, i little bit embarrassing, but thank's. you were right!

Great! Media Manager works again, thanks.

Have you removed Imdb as Info provider? i cant find it anymore