Moving from a ReadyNAS to a Synology - Would love to not have to start over!

server-synology

Hey Guys! I'm a long time user of Plex, but I currently got a new NAS that has enough room for me to grow into. My old NAS is a ReadyNAS 516 6-bay and I'm moving to a Synology DiskStation DS3617xs 12-bay unit.

I have just finished moving over all of my files and I added Plex on the Synology from its App Store like situation.
I didn't do anything there other than just install the package.

On my old was, I downloaded a 13.3GB zip file directly off of my admin control panel on the old ReadyNAS. So I have this file that is called plexmediaserver.zip and within it it has:
Binaries (folder)
MediaLibrary (folder)
temp (folder)
.localapp
config.xml
flap-plexmediaserver.service
logo.png
policy.properties
provision.xml

So, on my new NAS that just has Plex installed (I haven't launched it at all yet) - it has a share called Plex and within that there are 2 folders:
* Library
* Application Support
* Plex Media Server
* Cache
* Codecs
* Crash Reports
* Logs
* Plug-In Support
* Plug-Ins
* Preferences.xml
* temp_transcoding

What should I place where? Is there a specific order I should do this so that it works properly? I'd just love to avoid having to re-do all of the covers and whatnot. Plex does a pretty good job with them, but I did manually edit quite a few.

Many thanks in advance!

See Q20 on the Synology FAQ's page, link in my signature.

For your media storage arrangement see Q5 on the Synology FAQ's page for the recommend layout, link in my signature.

Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with how the ReadyNAS stores the Plex data files. I am not convinced that your backup .zip actually contains the data needed though, the file seems small, unless your media library is also very small?

If you are able to SSH into the ReadyNAS, that would probably reveal the correct location of the Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server folder wherte the Plex metadata etc. is normally stored.

Do NOT store anything other than the Plex data files/folders in the Plex shared folder on the Synology NAS, that is reserved for Plex files, metadata etc. No media files!!

It may simply be easier to create new libraries and then let Plex populate the metadata etc. again on the Synology NAS.

Rather than editing posters, it is much better to grab the image, name it exactly like your video file and place it along side your video file in the appropriate media folder. Turn on the Local Media Assets agent and sort it towards the top of the list. That way Plex will always use your poster instead of what it downloads.

@trumpy81 said:
Rather than editing posters, it is much better to grab the image, name it exactly like your video file and place it along side your video file in the appropriate media folder. Turn on the Local Media Assets agent and sort it towards the top of the list. That way Plex will always use your poster instead of what it downloads.

This IS gold. If you have very few/no manual edits to your libraries then a fresh install is nothing more than created your libraries again/adding the folders back, and sit back and allow PLEX to retrieve the metadata.

Unfortunately, it does not apply to any metadata you add, such as the Movie synopsis/summary or date of release etc.

You can use an .nfo file import plugin, that will add such metadata and posters etc., but you must create and/or edit your own .nfo files for that to work. It also disables the Plex Movie agent and TMDB agent.

@trumpy81 said:
Unfortunately, it does not apply to any metadata you add, such as the Movie synopsis/summary or date of release etc.

You can use an .nfo file import plugin, that will add such metadata and posters etc., but you must create and/or edit your own .nfo files for that to work. It also disables the Plex Movie agent and TMDB agent.

Yep. Manual edits suck.