Multicast IPTV

Server Version#: 1.23.6.4881
Player Version#: N/A
Tuner Make/Model: N/A
Guide/Lineup name: N/A
Using XMLTV?: No
Channel number/Name: N/A

My situation is a bit different, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no way for me to accomplish this, but curious if better minds that I have an idea on how to maybe get it to work.

I’m the Network Engineer for the local ISP/Cable provider. We’re currently moving from CoAX to FttH, along with IPTV over multicast. I will have a direct connection to our core, and therefore would be able to put an interface on my plex server that is routed to our multicast streams.

Is there any known way for me to utilize my local cable on Plex. I and my fiance have gotten quite used to using plex for all of our TV needs, but this seems like it may be the end of that if I can’t come up with a solution.

I’ve read online in a few places of people using/building M3U playlists. Would this be an option for me to do? Would I need to leverage an add on like Xteve that I’ve seen talked about?

I’m open to any and all options.

Thanks,

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Anytime that IPTV gets mentioned, XTeve almost always is the first to get mentioned. Unfortunately, in your case, it just doesn’t work.

I’m on Hiawatha Broadband, FttH. There’s a Optical Network Terminal that feeds a SmartSwitch which breaks out the user Internet connection, and their video network. All of their channels are delivered over the video network via UDP multicast. I’ll bet this is starting to sound familiar… I run TVHeadend to tune channels, and tvhProxy between Plex and the NIC that’s on the video network. I did have to figure out the proper network configuration (OpenSuSE Leap 15.2,) which did take some time but with a little networking knowledge, worked out fine. I should add that HBC is completely aware of what I’m doing, and aside from ensuring that I’m a good network neighbor, is fine with what I’m doing. I have 107 channels, both SD and HD, and 5 tuners configured. I have dedicated hardware, and have pretty much no system load during tuner usage.

I should note that TVHeadend isn’t the easiest piece of software to learn, and with your experience, I’d expect you to pick it up pretty quickly.

Feel free to ping me if you have questions.

Well, wait a second… maybe I’m misunderstanding…if you have coax cable TV, an HDHomerun device should fill your needs.

No, you understood correctly.

We’re currently coax, moving to fiber. The setup you outlined here is exactly how it will be.

I’ll start looking into this solution!